Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Has anyone got anything good to say about the ...

Counsellor
hubrad

Re: Has anyone got anything good to say about the Lumia 800???

psychomania wrote:
By the term "normal person" I mean someone who has bought the phone and hasn't had cause to come to this forum, for example the vast majority of Lumia owners. 

As this thread has demonstrated, including the few troll posts that were deleted, a support forum is not the correct place to base a purchase decision on. 

Moderator's note: Quote from the post above removed.

Haha, I know what you mean; I put myself off changing broadband supplier 'cos nearly every post, even on review sites, was a complaint! If you're happy with the kit, you probably just get on with it.

Myself I find such a forum as this pretty good for exchanging hints and tips on how to use the kit. Sometimes, though, it can highlight a niggle or problem before it crops up, or I can decide that a particular prob experienced by you doesn't matter to me..

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Absolutely love it! The styling, the interface, the Nokia community, the looks and questions I get from people that see it.

...and after saying all of that, I'm still carrying around my N8 too.

Please use plain text.
MartyM

I used my Lumia 800 here in the US to show off in several phone stores. Comparing with HTC and Samsung it is so much more attractive. Colors on the HTC are not vibrant, they are simply worn out as compared with a colorful shirt that has been in the washing machine too often.

Many of the other phones look more like tablets. Some are so big. That is what I like about this phone. It is much smaller and does not have to be so big to display everything and in the best bright colors.

Everyone here wants to take a look and is impressed and wants one. I don't understand why it is not yet available here.

Sound is also so much better when making calls. Nokia is a phone company and it shows compared to the others. They know how to make phones. And with Windows Phone they created the best smartphone too.

Yesterday I used Nokia Car on the highway. That is a very valuable App. It works very well and is pretty precise in its navigation.

Despite the battery woes (yes, also after the update) I still prefer this phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
south01

[ Edited ]

The Nokia Windows phones still aren't out here in Australia, i read there is a 900 version that will have solved all the bugs, i have always had Nokia phones but have an iphone now as Nokia really went into a dark place untill now, just hope that Nokia and the Windows can bring out all the apps that iphone have as i use a lot of them and cant see myself giving them up..

Still as a lot have i cant see why this phone didnt go Android, no one uses Windows phones and there is a reason for it..

Still ill get a Nokia 900 Lumina when they come out here but hopefully the apps get better and compete with Android and iphones..

Oh im glad i read the response about dont make a desicion based on support forum, good post that.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

psychomania wrote:
Basing a purchase decision on a support forum is never a good idea as its negatively biased by its nature.

Personally I love the phone, even after two months its fun and fresh to use. I spent most of last year using an up to date android (xperia arc) and much prefer the lumia 800 over it.

These are my personal likes and dislikes: http://nokiainspired.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-nokia-lumia-800-likes-dislikes.html

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Autal its the best place to base your decision on wheather or not to get the lumia 800 I'm in the same boat as the poster of the thread.Its up to nokia to sort these problems out.Why should we not use these forums for making our decision.I for one would like to know what the problems are with the phone before making my decsion

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

So very wrong. A good impartial review is the best source. Negatively biased forums like this give normal users the false impression that they'll have trouble and it gives trolls the chance to force their negativity on others.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GeoffN

I totally agree. My excellent experience of the Lumia 800 bears no resemblance to the negative comments expressed here. Had I allowed myself to be unduly influenced by these comments, instead of making up my own mind, I would have missed out on a great phone.

By all means read these comments but recognise them for what they mostly are: experiences of people who either have a faulty product or don't know how to operate it properly, both of which traits can be corrected. Many comments, unsurprisingly, are from Nokia users who expect the Lumia to behave like previous Nokias. That was never going to be the case with a WP 7 phone, so it is pretty pointless griping about the past. Better to accept that this is a totally different phone and move on. Sure, there are minor niggles with the product but nothing that can't be resolved or lived with. Give it a chance...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kev1967

Love it!

Battery life....no problems, can go 2 days unless I spend hours playing games.

Audio....sounds fine, fixed intatrack clicking impulse noises by turning flight mode on.

every phone I've ever had has had something quirky about it.

Please use plain text.
pkjt

[ Edited ]

frank_knowsbest wrote:
Thanks for the speedy reply. I suppose the main things that were bothering me were
(i) the battery life
(ii) the audio quality and
(iii) the accuracy of the touchscreen when zoomed out on the browser.

Even with rather heavy use I get around two days of battery life - or would get if I didn't charge the phone every night, just to make sure I have all the juice I might need.

The audio quality is really perfect in my tests, both with bluetooth headphones as well as via a direct connection to a home theater system (as compared to the original CD).  However, using the old-style 4-way plug, as supplied with earlier Nokia headphones causes bad audio quality and requires a restart of the phone.

The accuracy of the touchscreen and the SW behind it is amazing.  On a web page I have been able to select the exact menu item I want, even when five menu items fit under my finger!

Please use plain text.