Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Having a problem turning the phone on

Professor
Accepted Solution

Having a problem turning the phone on

Lumia sometimes won't turn on. 

Sometimes the Wifi on off option in the settings stops working and just "clicks" but doesn't go to the wifi screen. I turn the phone off then try and turn it back on and it won't. It usually does after a few minutes but I can't make it do it now.

Anyone else having to wait several minutes to be able to turn it back on or having Wifi on/off issues?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I've found that on both htc radar and lumia sometimes after switching the phone on or off I have to wait a few minutes to begin some of the processes although  lumia is very quick. More problems with radar switching into airplane mode by itself. I found after installing some third party application this was more apparent.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RajC

i just had similar problem with my Lumia 800... it was on full charge before i went out....made acouple of calls, took a couple of pics. Wifi was swictched off....and after 1 hour, the phone went dead!!!

Couldn't even switch it back on after putting it back on charge again....completely dead!!!

Rang Orange and they now sending me a replacement phone tomorrow.....Just hope its a one-off glitch and not gonna be a real issue with the replacement.....otherwise i might have to go for the Galaxy SII!!!

Lumia 800
Orange UK
Please use plain text.
Professor

Mine seems to only do this after wifi has messed up. When it comes back on I can turn it off then straight back on again. This morning I was playing music when it did it and the music kept playing even after it had turned off. Leads me to believe that it is staying on after it's said goodbye.

Once the music stopped I could turn it back on again. Very odd. I have emailed nokia about this, I really don't want to have to get a different phone. I'm sureit is something that can easily be fixed.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I also think the issues are software rather than hardware. I wait for the next updates.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
jakke

If phone is not responding or is not working properly you could try to press and hold the power key for about 10 seconds to reboot phone.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Shouldn't have to if I turn it off while wifi is working fine, it comes back on immedately like it's supposed to. I can hold it down until the cows come home but it won't come on for a few minutes. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nurium

Same thing just happened to me. Wifi had disconnected so I tried to access the wifi settings. Each time it just went to a black screen for a few seconds before pushing me back to the home screen. Thought I would try restart the phone. After turning it off I couldn't turn it back on again. Plugged it into the power and nothing. After about 5 minutes or so I unplugged the phone from the charger, heard the phone vibrate, and then a few seconds later the charging battery screen came on (without the phone being plugged in!). I could then turn it on again. Very strange... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DarthNaga

I'm having the EXACT same issues as mkr10001 and tbh i'm starting to think its a bad batch!! The battery issues, wifi issues and turning on problem are all the same...this isn't good enough!! The phones going back to CPW this weekend for a replacement.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

im watching these WP posts and it seems just like when the N8 came out.No end of problems.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mangosteen

I bought the Lumia on Saturday. The battery was depleted on Sunday evening. Left it charging overnight. Working brilliantly Monday morning/afternoon. 

On Monday early evening the phone displays 3G connection but refuses to connect to the internet (IE says no connection), then the Wifi setting just displayed blank. And then it switched off... and I never could turn it back on. When I charged it, nothing happened.

The guys at phones4u said they'll give me an exchange.. but apparently I have to wait for a couple days. This is so frustrating?

When I searched for this issue, there's obviously not that many postings yet... but considering it's effectively an N8 - I did a search on it. And guess what, the first few batches of N8 has the EXACT same problem. So what are the chances that the refitting of the N8 to support WP7 started before this hardware defect was discovered and thus inherited the same problem? 

These are the kind of things that they cannot afford to happen considering the downward trend of their sales.

Discussion on the error: /t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Nokia-N8-00-keeps-turning-off/td-p/769384

Nokia's admission of the error: http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/11/18/evp-niklas-savander-discusses-nokia-n8-quality/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I think you have the N8 and the N9 confused. And the Lumia 800 only looks like the N9, it's very different on the inside.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tr56cey

AAAAHHH!!!! i have the same problem and now my phone won't turn on!! i have had the phone for over a week and it first happened to me when the phone was 3 days old, i took it back to CPW and obviously when the man in the shop went to turn it on it came on!! so i thought it was just something i was doing wrong?

i have had the problem with wifi so i turned then phone off and now it won't go on!! maybe i should of just stuck with the N8 :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mangosteen

Oh.. that's right .. I got them mixed up...

But what are the chances of them having the same problem? Or does this kind of problem common to all of the N series?

Well i'm on my 2nd one now...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

mangosteen wrote:
Oh.. that's right .. I got them mixed up...

But what are the chances of them having the same problem? Or does this kind of problem common to all of the N series?

It's not the same problem and it is not common to all of the N series. The N8 problem was down to a batch of faulty motherboards and once the faulty handset (or MB) was replaced by Nokia the problem was solved.

Please use plain text.
DJUNIT

I've had the phone two days and i'm having exactly the same problem, seems to be a serious issue with the phone. As mentioned before the WIFI disconnects and then the option becomes unresponsive when going into settings and selecting the icon. The only way to resolve this is to turn the phone off. Once its off you will be unable to turn it back on usually between 5-10mins.

It doesnt matter how long you hold the power key for, or how many times you press the power button there is no response, I've never seen this before with any other phone. The lumia was one i bought for my girlfriend as I alsready have an omnia 7 , so im more than familiar with windows phone 7 devices.

I've just been to see phones 4 u and its a case of them doing a complete reset on the phone initially and then if you have any further problems taking it back for a new device. Unfortunately i'm pretty sure the problem with arise again and i'm not really convinced as some people have said that it could be a bad batch.

Its a real shame as its a great device when working, but wifi freezing and phone not turning back on is pretty schoolboy for Nokia to be honest.

Please use plain text.
somaready

I have the exact same wifi problem as above .... Nokia please fix it soon ... its very annoying

Please use plain text.
mcready

Guys,

after 9 days my Lumia stopped working at all. After the usual overnight charge yesterday I found it dead, no vibration, no on-screen Nokia logo. Just dead. Great looking but definitely dead.

I hope Nokia will replace it with a new one, I don't want mine to be fixed or anything, I need a phone now. It's the only thing I miss from Apple, it's custome care.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DarthNaga

Same problem as everyone else here and i'm on my second lumia, this is NOT ON! Nokia, stop giving us excuses and "fixes" for other issues please and GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED!! I will only return this phone one more time before i wswitch to and android or back to an iphone, i CANNOT have an unreliable phone in my line of work, get it sorted please!!
Please use plain text.
DJUNIT

Ok just a quick update on my previous post. If you have any of the same problems as mentioned above then you need to return the phone and get it replaced (not repaired). It would appear that there are a small proportion of dud phones out there. You may have to initially settle for the phone shop you got the handset from doing a reset on the phone i.e if problem persists then bring it back (jumping through hoops). Whatever you need to do just replace it as I have a new handset now and the battery life is fine and I have no issues with the WIFI dropping out.  The problems are also not resolved by the latest updates available on zune as I found out, its simply a faulty device.

Also I spoke to nokia about the issues I had been experiencing and they had not come across this before, to be fair they were extremely helpful but the bottom line is you need to replace the handset.

Please use plain text.