Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Having trouble with 7.8 update for Lumia 800

Registered Member
TheoKR

I think this is different for some people but for me, I believe the issue is to do with a load of Lumia 800's being flashed with the wrong bootloader and when the phone restarts, it boots wrong.

It's strange. Not 100% sure of the exact fix sequence. Mine kept stopping on step 6 and the phone would fail to come back on. I gave up for 2 weeks and today I tried turning on the phone in some weird USB mode I read about a couple weeks ago...

1. Turn the phone off. Normal power button and slide down.

2. As soon as 'Goodbye' comes up, press and hold volume down, lock and camera buttons

3. Once off, turn the phone back on but AS SOON as it vibrates, hold the lock and camera buttons. 

The phone then goes into this odd USB mode with a computer and USB cable displayed on the phone screen. Then I connected my phone. Zune popped up moaning about restoring the phone failing or something.

Restart the phone normally and now the phone (and Zune) tell me I'm all up to date (7.10.8773) although I was hoping for (7.10.8858) but I guess that's not available to me yet.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
klookee

Now that the 7.8 roll out has started again, I've discovered that I'm also having the same problem (where the update stops a step 6).

I've done some playing and my problem sounds very much like that described by Gakubuchi and TheoKR, and is a problem with the bootloader.

My Lumia 800 doesn't boot into 'Connect-to-PC' mode correctly, either manually (holding the camera key at boot) or during the software update process. When it tries it vibrates twice (one long and one short) and then nothing happens. During previous updates an icon of a PC and Phone connected via USB is displayed at this point, but now the screen remains black.

I've tried the update on a couple of differenct PCs (Win7 and 8), and I've hard reset the phone. But the results are the same.

Does Nokia (or anyone else) have any suggestions on how to correct this yet?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
liolisac

Hello guys...I HAVE SOLUTION.

All you have to do is:

When phone restarts and it says on your screen "goodbye"...wait until you feel in hands frist vibration...the moment you feel it: PRESS AND HOLD CAMERA BUTTON!!!!

When you see the "usual USB connection on your phone screen" you can release the button and phone will normaly update.

Since I got this working I managed to get already 2 new updates after 7.8 update and both worked ONLY in this way.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you also

Bye

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sleepywhispers

i have the update (cable trick)but this morning i had an update on my phone so connected via zune it looked like 2 updates but dont know what they did my carrier is vodafone uk and im pay monthly contract.... any ideas ?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
liolisac

This two updates fix live tile isues with too much data transfer and battery consumption. The phone with 7.8 was trying to cennect to much on internet so it drained more the battery and your data transfer from carrier.

P.S. Check above in my previous post for solution with problem with step 6.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
manumun

Hello

klookee, I have the very same problem you described. Lumia 800 doesn't boot into 'Connect-to-PC' mode, neither manually or during the Zune update process.

Does anyone have an idea?

Please use plain text.
periwinkle28

Hi manumun

Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484 if you're having issues during the software update.

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks! :smileywink:

periwinkle28

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
manumun

Hi

It's getting worse!

After many reboots, I finally was able to boot to that "connect to usb" mode using camera key.

In this mode, Windows doesn't recognize the devide (but appears under portable devices).

Microsoft Fix It 20024 is not compatible with my system, Windows 8 x64

And now the phone, in "normal mode", is not recognized by Windows or Zune anymore!

What can I do now?

Thank you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
periwinkle28

manumun wrote:

Hi

It's getting worse!

After many reboots, I finally was able to boot to that "connect to usb" mode using camera key.

In this mode, Windows doesn't recognize the devide (but appears under portable devices).

Microsoft Fix It 20024 is not compatible with my system, Windows 8 x64

And now the phone, in "normal mode", is not recognized by Windows or Zune anymore!

What can I do now?

Hi manumun,

Sorry to hear that. For further troubleshooting, 

1. Reboot the phone and the PC then reconnect your phone to your computer.

2. Make sure that you have the latest version of the Zune software installed.

To install the latest version of the Zune PC software, go to xbox.com/live/zune
When you have installed Zune, for the first sync the phone must be connected through a compatible USB data cable to your PC. On your computer, open Zune, and follow the displayed instructions.

3. Check your USB connection.

Make sure that you are using the USB data sync cable included with your phone. Do not use a USB hub or the ports located on the front of your computer. 
The connection order must be 1st cable to the phone and 2nd cable to PC.

4. Check for errors in Device Manager

If you’re using Windows 8: From the Start screen, start typing computer until the computer icon shows up on your screen. Right-click or swipe the icon, and then click or tap Properties.

1. Click or tap your computer name at the top of the window, and then click or tap Scan for hardware changes on the Action menu.
  2. Your connected Windows Phone 7 or Zune player should be listed under "Portable Devices." Double-click or swipe to see the General tab.

The device status will show you whether the device is working correctly. Examples:

Example 1 
This device is working properly.

Example 2
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

If a problem is indicated, note the error code and revert back to us.

Thanks,

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
manumun

Hi

I had latest version of Zune, but I reinstalled it and problema solved :smileyhappy:

And the phone update issue was apparently caused by the same cause, it's updated now!

Please use plain text.
periwinkle28

manumun wrote:

Hi

I had latest version of Zune, but I reinstalled it and problema solved :smileyhappy:

And the phone update issue was apparently caused by the same cause, it's updated now!

Wow, that's great! :smileyhappy: Well, if you need further assistance, feel free to post it on the appropriate board so the community will be able to assist you.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

periwinkle28

Please use plain text.