Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Help a luddite back up my contacts from my Lum...

Advisor
tendril
Accepted Solution

Help a luddite back up my contacts from my Lumia 820 to my XP PC

Hi there

I am running XP pro on my PC at home and am having difficulties connecting the phone to the PC. I have service pack 3 installed. I installed Zune but the PC fails to install any drivers. It recognises it as an external device so I was able to stick some music and photos from the PC to the new phone. When I got the phone they transferred all my contacts from my old nokia 6303i classic to the new lumia 820 in the shop using a special gadget.

What I want to do is to get a backup of these contacts onto my PC. I have a backup file from the 6303i using nokia suite software but have sold that phone on. After many hours searching for drivers and other solutions can some one tell mea work around to get the new 820 to sync up with the XP PC please?

This is driving me nuts!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Help a luddite back up my contacts from my Lumia 820 to my XP PC

You won't be able to sync your 820 to your XP pc. Zune is not compatible with WP8. The 820 will only connect to XP as a USB drive. Best bet is to sync to the cloud unless you have a Windows 7 or Windows 8 pc. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tendril

So if I upgrade my OS from XP pro to Windows 7 (or make it dual boot as i quite like XP) then I should be able to sync my contacts?

p.s. I am unfamiliar with the cloud concept (told you I was a luddite lolz)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Well you will need to download and install the Windowsphone App first. The app isn't great. The cloud option is more convenient, especially if you have multiple handsets like me. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tendril

Thanks, this has been most useful. We run windows 7 at work and I'm hoping that our administrator will allow me to download the app so I can at least get a backup of my contacts on my work PC (then I'm guessing, transfer this to a datastick) until such times as I sort out my home PC.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tendril

I found a great app that can either save your contacts as a .vcf to skydrive or download locally if you are on the same wireless network that your PC is on. it's called 'Contents Backup' Got it through the store Uk region. It's by Mainland Software Incorporated

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Actually there is no need for the WP8 app at all, you can either just go here, log in with your Microsoft account and choose manage > export to get a CSV file of your contacts to your PC or just install Windows Mail from here and when installed log in with your Microsoft Account to get all your contacts synced live between the phone and your PC..

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.