Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Help with Nokia Lumia 925's irritating battery iss...

Advisor
Kwanton
Accepted Solution

Help with Nokia Lumia 925's irritating battery issues - charging 2 times a day!

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I recently bought Nokia Lumia 925 for my contract, and I am quite happy with its features, etc; except for one thing - its gets depleted so fast! I am not even playing heavily on it but it gets depleted so fast that I actually recharge it two times (maximum three) times a day. Even listening to just music when I was on the bus on earpieces with an average volume, let's say for an hour, depletes 25% of it. I have turned off locations, automatic brightness setting and changed it to low brightness, data connection/wifi (depends where I am, if I am on the road, data connection, when at home, wifi) and it just drives me crazy recharging it all the time whenever I come home. The final push that drove me to post this here was when I left it last night (11:00PM), it was 50% charged. When I woke up (somewhere after 07:00), it was down to 20%! And I even had everything (location, data connection/wifi, location, etc) off.

I have been searching online about their usages (Techradar - watching an hour and a half movie with wifi and maximum brightness depletes battery from full battery/100% to 83%) but watching half an hour in my phone depletes to that kind of percentage. They also say that you could last a whole day with general use (which I do) - but still have to recharge many times.

Now my question is, is it just this phone that has a very bad battery of have I got a faulty battery product? :smileysad:

P.S.: Nokia Drive Beta isn't running in the backround/disabled it to run.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Help with Nokia Lumia 925's irritating battery issues - charging 2 times a day!

Please search the forum on this as tere is many, many posts on this.

In short you need to give the battery a few charge cycles to optimize. Just keep using it and charge whenever you can. You'll find battery life will get better as you use the phone..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kwanton

Re: Help with Nokia Lumia 925's irritating battery issues - charging 2 times a day!

Hi paulheu

I saw some posts and what was recommended was disable "Nokia Drive" from running in the background. I have done that before, along with other apps I see that I don't need to run. I am still having a bad experience.

I have been to Nokia Troubleshooter site which they say minimise the features to off or low setting (Brightness, Wifi, Data connection, Location, Bluetooth, Email sync, etc.)

I have been using it for 4 days now. Do you think it is too early to say I have a faulty battery or still give it a chance with more charge cycles?

Sorry for the newbie problem. First time experiencing a Lumia and I am quite shocked with this experience.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

The battery indiation on the power saving settings is indicative at best and will stabalize over time. There is no point or benefit in looking at it every hour or so.. Just use the phone as you want and you'll find it will be fine in general.

There can always be cases where there is a battery issue obviously, but as of now I'd say it's way to early to tell. On normal use you should get a good day of use from a charge but there is so much that can influence this that is not  given..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
npinkney

Hi guys, we've got a 925 that wont charge either. We've tried using direct connect to a charger and also tried using a Nokia wireless charging plate and neither gets the battery charge above 15 - 20% even after being connected for 24+ hours.

I see there's a new software release - does that resolve battery issues? I can't try it for myself as cant get enough life into the battery for the phone to start the software load (just get an error message asking to charge battery before the software can be loaded!!)

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
nnovak

Who marked this as a solution? This answer is **bleep**! I went from a perfectly fine working battery to one that won't last 4 hrs IN STANDBY! Normal use... REALLY? Yes I have reset the phone! Yes, a complete reset! Well I did do the back-up reset first the WHEN THAT FAILED, I did a complete reset! Something is making the right corner get hot with the wifi off, location, nfc, and blutooth off... I have heard of apps getting caught in a cycle... maybe this is it... but I check the Data usuage and nothing showed up as excessive! Oh yes and I have let the battery fully charge and discharge more than 3 days in a row... Get me a fix or I am returning it under warranty!

Please use plain text.
nnovak

Found this post about over heating and appearently the same battery issue...

"I used my 925 for about 3 weeks without issue.  Charged on the overnight and it would take me through the day.  On the 3rd Friday I had the phone, I receive a long call and I noticed the longer the call went on the warmer (until hot) the phone got.  Finally, when I received the critical battery warning, I ended the call.

I put the phone on the charger and it seemed to take an unusually long time to charge.  After 4 hours, was only at 85% and it was hot.  I shut the phone down and charged it overnight.  The charge lasted about 90 minutes with the same overheating, without making a call or browsing the web.

T-Mobile overnighted me a new one.  Same symptoms.  I installed no apps or add-ons to the phone and was running it in battery saver mode.  It lasted from 7:30am - 11am without a voice call."

Yeah the problem is solved???

Please use plain text.
MichalCZ

Hi all, I have the same issue on my new Lumia 925.

Evident it is some BUG of Nokia. I can charge phone whole day and it is still in 50%. After restart issue disappear and battery indicates 100%.

But in 1 or 2 days issue is back and I have to again restart phone. :-(

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

nnovak wrote:

Who marked this as a solution? This answer is **bleep**! I went from a perfectly fine working battery to one that won't last 4 hrs IN STANDBY! Normal use... REALLY? Yes I have reset the phone! Yes, a complete reset! Well I did do the back-up reset first the WHEN THAT FAILED, I did a complete reset! Something is making the right corner get hot with the wifi off, location, nfc, and blutooth off... I have heard of apps getting caught in a cycle... maybe this is it... but I check the Data usuage and nothing showed up as excessive! Oh yes and I have let the battery fully charge and discharge more than 3 days in a row... Get me a fix or I am returning it under warranty!

The Original Poster (OP) marked this thread as solved because he was evidentally satisfied with the answer given to him by paulheu. 

You have a different issue to the OP and you seem to have hijacked the wrong thread. Your best option is to have your phone inspected by Nokia Care.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Litzia

Yeah that wasn't a solution, I just got a Lumia 925 and I have the same problem it won't charge more than 38% and of course when I take it with me the battery run out extremely fast without using it. Also I have left it charging all night and in the morning the phone has less battery than the night before. Sometimes when I unplug it magically the phone goes from 30% to 100% but Just some minutes after that it goes down to 30 something again. I'm sick of these... I love the phone, I used to have a Lumia 900 but I can't use my 925 like that its completely unfunctional! What can I do? Choose another phone? Because I'm seeing its an issue with this model.
Please use plain text.
Masla_2014

I have started using NOKIA 925 on 6. March 2014. and was very satisfied.

- On 18.03.2014. NOKIA 925 that was in my pocket has suddenly become so hot, I had to pull it out of the pocket. It has sucked about 30% of the battery in a couple of minutes. Part between lenses and edge of the phone was extremelly hot. 

- This night, it was 98% full at midnight, Battery Saver turned on, I set the alarm clock to 7'o clock and it didn't rang - it was completelly discharged and of course, I was late for job. Somethign drained the battery although Battery Saver was on?!?

- Today, during working day, sudenly it is hot again (but not too hot, just warm, only part of the phone between camera lenses and top edge of the device). Battery Saver is on.  

I believe I have a clue: It seems that the option for unlocking the phone by tapping on the screen is causing this. Tested it a couple of times and it definitelly makes phone hot during hour or so. This all happened since I updated software to Lumia Black. As this is company phone, and I am IT person, I'll take another one (brand new) that is still not updated to test it, but I am sure I have found an issue.

Can you please check? I am willing to test whatever you request, as this phone is mandatory company phone and we have to use it.

Thanx.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kwanton

[ Edited ]

@Masla_2014 I'm updated to Lumia Black firmware as well and I have tap screen to unlock as well. I have had this option on way since long, and it does not heat up like yours. My phone only heats up when doing heavy app loading such as watching movies and games.

As for battery saver at night, if I did that, it would drain me of 10-15% max - not all the battery.

It might be worth visiting a Nokia Care Point near you. It is still under warranty, anyway. It might be a defective unit.

Do you have any apps running in the background e.g. Nokia Drive? That is also a factor.

I am currently happy with my L925 experience.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kwanton

@Litzia Tried a soft and hard reset? Then perhaps a trip to your carrier shop or Nokia Care Point (my preferred method - they did help me a couple of times!) because it really could be a case of a fault battery. It's still in warranty I am sure, and they will gladly fix it.

Have you taken into consideration the Nokia Drive app running in the background tasks? If not, disable it.

Hope I have helped
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@Masla_2014

Your issue definitely sounds like an application being the cause for such excessive battery drain.
Please use plain text.
Masla_2014

I took another NOKIA 925. Still didn't update it and it works great - anyway, I'd like to have battery life like LUMIA 625 (for some people it lasts about 4-5 days) but 925 screen probably uses more juice from battery.

Anyhow, I have sent my NOKIA 925 to NOKIA Service center as it was behaving the same way even with all apps uninstalled (finally did even factory reset). Waiting for their verdict.

Now I am afraid of doing Lumia Black update to the new phone I took.

Any suggestions, is it safe or not? I did a real testing with the old one: turning on "double tap" was causing sudden battery drain (and making phone warm), if I turn off that option, the phone was becoming cold. So, definitelly something connected with that, whether CPU or some short circuit, have no clue.

As I have about 600 NOKIA-s in my company, I am very satisfied with NOKIA 625 (it has a bug that if you keep pressing "volume down" for some time it resets time/date?!?!). It's battery lasts very long.

NOKIA 925 is very good phone, but if you talk a while, its screen becomes very warm and battery lasts for about one day.

NOKIA 520 - fine for that money

NOKIA 920 - sometimes hangs-up without obvious reason, everything else like 925.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spliffter

Ive just disabled the double tap on my lumia 1520. no probelms with it yet but i did have a hot phone and drained battery problem with the 920. i wont risk it so thanks for the tip.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kwanton

@Masla_2014 I did the Black update, and it didn't make a difference to my battery for sure. I would be quite surprised if you'd get a 3-4 days out of a charge (unless if you turn it into a dumbphone).

I know I marked my post as solved, but only because it isn't as worse as before - but it's still not good. I still charge 2-3x a day but I can't blame the phone entirely as I really use it as a regular smartphone user.

As for resetting date and time, matbe you are accidentally doing a soft reset? Well, it is the volume down key and power button involved after all, but I don't have a L625 so I can't speak about it conpletely.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ALPAR1962

Nokia Lumia 625 Frozen

Hi! I,m new toall this, so please be patient! My problem is that I charged my phone overnight as per usual, whent to power up/swtch on this am, and nothing, exept for 2 icons,1 a cog symbol. and a lightning bolt Any help will be appreciated

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Goke007

Who has decided that this answer is the solution to guy's problem ?

Please use plain text.