Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How can I back up my contacts from my Lumia 800?

Mad_Liz
Accepted Solution

I've smashed the screen (no biggie - it's insured) but apparently the repair company will wipe the phone before fixing it for security reasons.

With over 300 numbers on it and a smashed screen, I can't afford to lose them and I can't see them to manually copy them.

The phone itself is working if there is some way to back them up.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: How can I back up my contacts from my Lumia 800?

Have you checked your windows live account to see if the numbers were backed up into that? There's a chance they are there but it all depends on how you originally transferred your numbers to the phone.

Try this link on a PC, logging in with the same email and password as the live account on your phone.

http://mail.live.com

Once logged in hover your mouse over "hotmail" near the top and select contacts. If you are lucky they'll all be there.
Please use plain text.
Mad_Liz

This would be helpful for new contacts I guess but unfortunately most of mine were transferred from my N8 and not therefore backed up on Windows Live.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Did you ever back up your N8 to a PC? If so your contacts may be contained within that back up.

If not then unfortunately I can't see any other way of retrieving them from an unusable device.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

Mine were transfered from my old Samsung but they were all available on my Windows Live account shortly after. If you have your windows live account set on your phone all contacts are synchronised, not only new ones.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

As soon as you link your account to windows live, all your contacts are stored there, so no need for a backup. you can check this by logging onto hotmail and checking your address book.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
forbiddenshani

So what you mean by this is that if we can confirmed that all the contacts has been synced to our Windows Live account. It doesn't matter from which phone we are using (so as long as it is a Windows Phone) and we signed in using that Windows Live account, the contacts will be synced automatically into that phone?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Otabek

Just enable SYNC WITH MAIL in Windows Live settings on the phone, and all contacts will be synchronized automatically to your Contacts of your hotmail

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@forbiddebshani

Yes, you can even sync with an Android phone using your live account at later date if you wanted to.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

If you use that transfer thing, they get synced with your live account, at least mine did.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

All my contacts sync via my Exchange account with hotmail and alll exist both there and on 3 handsets, simplest way I find !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JCinMijas

Quick question, did you update your device recently by any chance - using Zune?? I ask cause if you did, there will be a restore point saved on your PC and that will have all your data, so when you get the device back from Nokia - you will be able to restore and have all your data back on your device as up to the date of the restore point. Also if you having the device repaired at a Nokia Care Point, they can back up if you ask. Explain to them your situation and that you cannot access your contacts any other way.

If this post has in anyway helped you, help others here in the community by clicking on the white star below and if appropriate - "also accept as solution"  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
madhu1234

JCinMijas wrote:

Quick question, did you update your device recently by any chance - using Zune?? I ask cause if you did, there will be a restore point saved on your PC and that will have all your data, so when you get the device back from Nokia - you will be able to restore and have all your data back on your device as up to the date of the restore point. Also if you having the device repaired at a Nokia Care Point, they can back up if you ask. Explain to them your situation and that you cannot access your contacts any other way.

If this post has in anyway helped you, help others here in the community by clicking on the white star below and if appropriate - "also accept as solution"  :smileywink:

i have to upgrade my lumia 800 so gotta have a back up of all my contacts and pics.. how do i do it??

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n0k1afan

@madhu1234 - with regard to contacts check out the advice from newneotoo and Henk2304

and be thankful you don't own one of these old nokias...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_eQaZsypEE
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hellen1953

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Easiest way is to sync it with your Microsoft account, the one you used or set up when you originally turned your phone on for the very first time. Is is possible your phone may already be set up to sync your contacts. Try logging into your Microsoft account from a pc and check contacts.

Please use plain text.