Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How do I correctly charge my Lumia 920 batter...

Contributor
K9JSB

How do I correctly charge my Lumia 920 battery ??

Hi

Iv read so much on new batteries that my head hurts...

Okay, so, do we still drain mobile phone batteries and fully charge them (and keep running this cycle for optimizing battery life)

OR

Iv read that its best to keep topping your battery up with charge, never letting it get too low??

Also first charges - 24hrs, 12hrs, 6?? 

I let my new lumia 920 run its factory power until it shut down due to no battery life remaining and the I charged for around 5 hours. Did anyone do anything significantly different on there first charge?

Only facts please guys or intelligent opinions.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: How do I correctly charge my Lumia 920 battery ??

Have a look at THIS

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

2-4hrs first charge. I would not let it die completely.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

It's just an opinion, but I feel, and have found this to be true, that starting out by charging whenever you are at home will over the course of a number or charging cycles improve battery capacity and calibrate the OS power management the best. Right now my Lumia 800 will do close to three days on a single charge if I leave it off the charger, but in general I have it on when I am at home and especially at night.

Modern day batteries do  not like a full drain followed by a full charge. Just plug in (even if it's just 1-2 hours) when you can is my advice.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
K9JSB

But I bet theres times when you have 80% battery and then your home for the day and leave the phone on charge for 12+ hours. Surely that has to be bad for the battery?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

I really can't say I noticed anything like that. As said in general I have the phone on the charger from early evening to the next morning every day, but when I don't I can go about three days on a charge. Has not changed over the past months..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Only drawback.. The top up charging will restart if the battery level falls below a certain value. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
K9JSB

can you explain what exactly top up charging is and why its bad?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Li-Ion batteries actually contain a number of cells that hold charge. Each time those cells are charged and discharged they degrade just a little bit so over the space of a few years, they will eventually die and the battery has to be replaced.

So, top-up charging is when the phone reached 100% charge and it stops charging but will then start to discharge. Once it drops a few % it will start to charge again and this cycle will continue until the phone is unplugged from the charger.

This isn't a major problem because we tend to keep a phone for between one to two years until our next upgrade and the battery won't die within this period if we regularly do the top-up charging.

I personally only charge my phone (Lumia 920) when it drops to around 15 to 20 % which will then last me between two to three days of moderate use.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Ive given my 920 its first initial first charge and never let it go flat totally.I would wait till about 10%
Ive seen no issues since apart from the odd fluctuation here and there which is expected due to trying certain apps etc.

Typically i have to charge every day as it been used in almost full capacity so what i do is either charge over night or charge it for an hour or two before bedtime.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
agurmeza

i have never let my battery die. even on the first day. i always charge my phone overnight. i never had any battery problems on my phones
Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) Owner
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

agurmeza wrote:
i have never let my battery die. even on the first day. i always charge my phone overnight. i never had any battery problems on my phones

It is fine to charge overnight like most people, me included. However if you want to squeeze every little bit from the battery then unplugging soon after the battery is charged should extend the life of the battery. Reason being, charging stops when battery is charged. if left sit long enough with charger connected, the battery may drop low enough for topping up charging to commence so your overnight charge may count as 1 full and 1part charge, deoending on various factors such as how long it took for the initial full charge and then how quickly the charge leveldrops once charging stops. Then again there are dozens of little things you can do the squeeze out that littke bit more. Example, yiu get proportionately more part cycles then you would full cycles and charging until almost full is better than full.

Beginning to sound too complicated? Just use the charge the phone as you wush and use a little common sense. Enjoy your phone and Whatever will be will be. 

Please use plain text.