Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How do I unbrand a Rogers Nokia 900?

cwhiteot

How do I unbrand a Rogers Nokia 900?

Background: I have an unlocked Rogers (Canada) Nokia Lumia 900 running Windows Phone 7.8 that I am running on the Bell network.  With two exceptions, all functions work perfectly.  However, I cannot send or receive pictures by SMS text messaging.  Also, I cannot enable, "Internet sharing."

In attempting to fix the text messaging limitation, I've noticed that I cannot alter the SMS center number (located in messaging >> settings).  The current SMS center number, which is +14382762000, cannot be deleted or any changes to this number be saved.  In anticipation of some suggestions, be advised that I have changed the Micro SIM card without any luck.  Also, this identical phenomenon occured while unlocking a Samsung Focus from the Rogers network.  Considering that the 'Rogers' graphic continues to be displayed upon device startup, my guess is that there is some sort of branding that has occured in the pre-OS, firmware or bios layer.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Re: How do I unbrand a Rogers Nokia 900?

unfortunately there is nothing you can do on the Nokia side, you have to liaise with Rogers on these issues and tell them that you are unable to use things like Internet Sharing, because of restrictions they have imposed on it. even though your phone is unlocked etc.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
cwhiteot

Thank-you for the suggestion.  I will try Rogers and post any feedback in case it's useful for other Nokia users.

Please use plain text.
cwhiteot

Rogers support reportedly have no access to information regarding the installation of a Rogers-branded OS.  They could not direct me to a department or point me to somebody who might know how this occurs.  With some pressure, the representative suggested that a third-party mobile phone repair service might be able to flash an unbranded operating system onto my phone.

Perhaps if I knew more about what that meant, I wouldn't be feeling quite so skeptical.  As it stands, I've gone just about as far as I can with this.  I've learned that Rogers and perhaps other carriers generally are pretty shady in their locking and branding practices.

Thanks to all who have considered my problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

As a matter of fact, you may be closer to the solution than you think. A Nokia Care will reflash the phone for you if you have written authorisation from Rogers to do so. I suggest you contact the same Rogers rep and ask him for the written authorisation.

Please use plain text.