Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How do you add alert tones?

Sage
MrOddJob

How do you add alert tones?

Ok I can add ringtones no problem although a bit dissapointed that there are so many restrictions on them have been able to use any sound file on my last 3 nokia phones with out a problem, but I'm unable to add new alert tones and cant find any info on how to do it so any help will be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

Re: How do you add alert tones?

[ Edited ]

Would just like an alert tone that I can here when in a noisy enviroment and as I'm not a sheep would like to personlize my phone to suit myself thank you very much.

PS If you have nothing constructive to say and help people with thier problems then go on facebook if you just want to bag people out.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

@mkr10001
what has high school.musicals got to do with this the op is simply asking how to set a preferred music alert,not a contradiction of his selection of tone in which he never stated.
i too use my own tones that suffice my needs.
If you have nothing to contribute bit sarcasim i suggest you dont post anything.
this is a user to user forum on nokia products etc not a debate on ones choice of music.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
d4yw4lk3rNFFC

[ Edited ]

How did you add the ringtones? This zune thing is **** what happened to good old fashioned drag and drop! Duno why they change the basic methods on all latest phones **bleep** me off, keep it simple :smileyhappy:

Moderators notes: Post edited due to inappropriate language

Please use plain text.
Contributor
widefine

what happened to good old fashioned drag and drop! 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

ive found this might be worth a try

Simply navigate to any online music:
The Nokia Lumia 800 is a smartphone. Most smart phones let you save any music file you could find online by touching and holding your finger on it, then selecting "save." Once the music file is added to your memory card, tap-and-hold it and select "assign" from the contextual menu.

By USB cable:
The Nokia Lumia 800 is compatible with the "USB Mass Storage" norm. Get a USB cable (There might be one in your Nokia Lumia 800 package) and, linking your Nokia Lumia 800 to your computer should make it appear as a memory key. Open it and just drag MP3 songs or other sound or music files directly to your Nokia Lumia 800, as if it was one of your computer's folder. For the remaining steps, please refer to your Nokia Lumia 800 manual. The ringtone section should explain how to select an uploaded file as a ringtone.

Using Bluetooth:
The Nokia Lumia 800 is Bluetooth-enabled. Bluetooth is a wireless system which lets you connect your cell phone to other devices. If your computer is also Bluetooth-enabled, simply establish a connection between both devices and transfer your audio files from your computer to your Nokia Lumia 800.

Simply record sound directly:
Since your Nokia Lumia 800 features a sound recorder (also known as "voice memo"), a very simple technique involves simply placing your phone by your computer's speakers, playing whatever song, music or sound you would like as a ringtone, and recording it -- you can even use your voice, your child's voice or even your cat's "meow!" Record it with your mobile and there you go! Unless that function was specifically blocked on the Nokia Lumia 800, you should be able to navigate to the ringtones sub-menu and choose your new recording as a ringtone. Of course, the quality won't be ideal but, after all, it's free!

Via a 3G Uploader:
If these tricks do not work for you or if you prefer not to buy new accessories, you can always use one of the numerous free "3G Uploader" services available online. A search on Katapulco should retrieve plenty of them. 3G uploaders work as follows: Upload your own free ringtones on their web site and they will provide a temporary web address. Navigating to that URL with your Nokia Lumia 800's browser will download the free rington

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

[ Edited ]

Thank you for a very comprehensive reply but none of the ideas you have put forward works, the lumia has very very restrictive formats for ringtones they have to be no longer than 40 sec and below a certain file size and have to have the genre set as ringtone, so I’m guessing alert tones are going to be just as restricted, If you install a music track onto the phone you can only play it as a music track, long pressing gives you no options at all just when you lift you finger off it starts playing the track. It seems the lumia does not support mass storage as when its plugged into my PC running XP it does not show in windows explore so I’m unable to access it that way. I can get any music files onto the phone using Zune but again it cannot be assigned to a ringtone or alert tone as it does not show in the list of available tones or alerts. It seems that the format for the tone has to be set before it is transferred to the phone. I’m very disappointed at how complicated Nokia have made this, with my last 3 Nokia phones as you have pointed out in your post you could just pick any peace of music and set it as a ringtone or alert tone so simple so why have they made it now so unnecessary complicate this is supposed to be a smart phone and yet it cant do the simplest of things like attach a music file as a tone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Well if it does not work im sure there will be another workaround been stuck with stock tones is certainly moving backwards

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/howto/wp7/start/create-ringtones.aspx

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

[ Edited ]

Thank you jimmyireland but the link is for ringtones which I can add with out any problems it just now I want to add some custom alert tones off my old phone and just can't find how to do it :smileysad:

Appreciate you time.

Please use plain text.
Sage

trivial things like that should be intuitive. What this URL described is anything BUT intuitive.

This is easy peasy even in Symbian (which CAN be connected as a simple mass-storage device). This Windows Phones stuff brings us back 10 years in the past (even Windows Mobile was far easier with regards to ringtones.)
Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

Ok update on this problem for everybody who's interested, after 2 emails to Nokia support and 2 ring backs from them you cannot as yet add your own alert tones to this phone, this is very disappointing as the alert tone on the phone are far to quite and I keep missing messages so I hope that a software update will be coming very soon to allow me to add alert tones that are more audible.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jemclajes

Me too!!! I keep missing calls and texts because the custom tones on the phone are no-where near long enough, or loud enough so whatever one I select it's not good enough and despite choosing 'different' custom tones for my e-mails to my texts they sound so similar that I can never tell which one it is!! I really really hope there will be a software update for this to help me to change these tones to my own ringtones which you can set for calls and the alarm - why not the rest? :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pree22

im having the same problem. why is it not allowing me to add text messaging tunes. This is such a let down..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pree22

THEY ARE PUTTING OUT A SOFTWARE UPDATE ON THAT???? I DIDNT EVEN NO THAT WAS POSSIBLE. THATS AWESOME... let mek now when you get it. .. im very upset about this.

Please use plain text.
Marcus_

On my 800 my 'settings > ringtones + sounds' offers me the options of chosing:

• Ringtone
  • New Text or IM
  • New Voicemail
  • New E-mail

and then check boxes to 'play sound for'

• Reminders
  • Key Press
  • Lock and unlock
  • Camera Shutter
  • all other notifications.

I got the phone yesterday (7/12/11) and there was an update on that awful piece of zune software yesterday evening.

(first post so if I've missed something sorry!)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I got mine yesterday, and the message alert tones are unbearably quiet.
I've tried using the standard message tone off my old N8, I drag and dropped it using Zune, but the Lumia won't let me use it.
Very annoying.

Please use plain text.
Sage
r2504

jimmyireland wrote:
ive found this might be worth a try

Simply navigate to any online music:

By USB cable:

Using Bluetooth:

Simply record sound directly:

Via a 3G Uploader:

Is that wishfull thinking or what... I don't know where you got it from but none of it exists (unless you've a 10 year old Nokia phone).  Just to say that notifications and volume control is one big joke on Windows Phone 7 (or should it be 0.9 beta ?)

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Oh what a grown up response. It is useful to have different tones for different senders. It' s very disappointing that a feature readily available on Symbian and Android isn't available.
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Sorry my comment was meant for the poster who made the snide comment about high school musical, not the person above me!
Please use plain text.