Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to close an application in Nokia Lumia 800

Advisor
Akb_Ddn
Accepted Solution

How to close an application in Nokia Lumia 800

I have below queries, pl help:

1. If I am using the NokiaDrive, and want to ensure that i stop the application, and stop the navigation how can i confirm this?

2. How can i see the open application at any point in time?

3. If I called someone, and moved to other menu, and meanwhile I want to close the call. How can I ensure if the call is over. In earlier Nokia (symbian) mobiles there were two button a red and a green, which could be used to close the call if you weren't sure. Any such hard/generic button?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Re: How to close an application in Nokia Lumia 800

1. If you press the back as many times as needed to get out of the application, then you have exited it and it's no longer running.

2. Long press the back arrow to scroll through apps that are running.

3. When you navigate away from the in-call screen, the call moves to a toast notification at the top of the screen. If the other caller hangs up, you'll see "call ended" in the toast notification. If you want to disconnect, then you touch the notification at the top and select to end the call.

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

I find it ridiculous to close an app by perpetual pressing BACK button. Imagine, you are browsing the web and you wish to close the browser - the more pages you visited the more times you have to press BACK button! And there is no way to close an app which hanged. It happend to me: Office app used  to hang on start (until I reset it to defaults) and was blocking all internet connections while it was still hanging (running in hanged state) in the background. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback on this.

You actually do not need to close apps at all. Tasks which are 'behind' the startscreen and can be seen by keeping the back button pressed are in fact suspended until you resume them by selecting the app from the list.

The difference, with proper Mango capable apps is that when you 'resume' an app it continues where you left it but restarts from default when you select the app again on the startscreen or in the app list.

So in real life you never need to go back through the app to close it. Just press START and the task is suspended and will be rotated out of the suspended task list (and closed) when the maximum number of apps  is in the list.

When on the task list press back quickly a few times and this will close all apps in the list.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

How to close then an app which stopped responding? Pressing BACK gives no effect.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
forbiddenshani

By pressing Start then you'll automatically bound out to the homepage and then just start the App again.

Unlike iPhones, the Lumia 800 doesn't have real multitasking capabilities, it merely keeps the App at the background (probably reduce starting up time) and it only has a queue up to 5 windows at one time therefore opening a new 6th window will automatically pushes the earliest ran app out of the queue shutting it down until you start it up again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neel4discussion

1. Hold the back button for about 2 secs.

2. You see all running apps on the screen and you may move the apps on the screen with your finger. 

3. Select any app

4. Now you have switched to this app.

5. You may close it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
parixit111

Hi Kosh, Will not these 'suspended' but not closed apps in background consume some memory or battery?
Please use plain text.
Sage
fonero

Thank you Kosh and neel4discussion!

I just wonder how people are expected to find out such procedures. Is there a decent manual somewhere listing all this kind of tricks? At least the manual (in Finnish) for my Lumia 820 was very short and not too helpful.

Fonero

(Lumia 820, 8.0.10328.78, 3047.0000.1328.0003, Here Drive+ 3.0.4121.0, map 8.30.51.121)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

fonero wrote:

Thank you Kosh and neel4discussion!

I just wonder how people are expected to find out such procedures. Is there a decent manual somewhere listing all this kind of tricks? At least the manual (in Finnish) for my Lumia 820 was very short and not too helpful.

Fonero

THIS

Please use plain text.