Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to disable 4G and go to 2G....for better signa...

Advisor
PunjabSis

How to disable 4G and go to 2G....for better signal strength

Is there a way to disable to the 4G in the Nokia Lumia 900 and use the 2G?  I had an LG phone with 3G and got better coverage and signal bars on the 2G than I did on the 3G so I kept the phone on  2G.  I don't use the internet on my Nokia ... I only use the phone for text messaging and phone calls... My 4G is only showing 2 bars on it's signal and sometimes maybe 3.  I will have better signal on the 2G.. 

How do I change the phone to use 2G..   since I do not use the internet/email or other internet services on it. 

thank you

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

Re: How to disable 4G and go to 2G....for better signal strength

I doubt if you can. I haven't see anything in the settings and diagnostic mode. So far I've seen the bars go to LTE, 4G and E.

Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
LumiAudioSucks

In L800 it's hidden in settings/mobile network/"highest connection speed". I don't know about L900.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

It should be in

settings -> mobile network/cellular settings - > highest connection speed

However on some operator branded models, this option is hidden on demand of the operator.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PunjabSis

I found the code to get into the area after a lot of digging online, but don't have a clue what to set it for... Right now, the phone is draining the battery too fast... trying to set things so it don't use so much battery juice.  I don't use the internet on it and very seldom use it for email...  I mainly use it for text messages and phone calls only... 

I also have another question if you don't mind...     how do you make sure what you are sending is SMS text and NOT the MMS messaging??   My son cannot open my MMS messages....(I didn't know the phone sent my message that way)..  I want to be sure what I send is SMS text message only...

thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@punjabsis

Why on earth did you buy a Lumia 900 if you only talk and text? You could've got yourself a basic Nokia that would've alsted a week on a single charge. it really doesn't make to much sense.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PunjabSis

because once in a while I do check email and once in a while I do get on facebook...but not all the time... my biggest usage is calls and texting... My little LG I used to be able to change to 2G from the 3G and got more signal bars on it.. just thought I could do the same with this and IF I go online for some reason.. I can change it back... but the 4G drains the battery fast also...
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

the only reason you would buy this phone is for the 4G LTE functions. Its all designed around high speed internet access... any other phone can access facebook. by the way because of the fact that the lumia 900 uses the 700mhz band for the LTE 4g option, it will get better penetration in to buildings  and also a longer distance from the cell towers out in the country.

If you have poor reception, then you would be crasy to turn off the 4G. Really sounds like you boight the wrong phone for what you use it for. 

Please use plain text.