Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to get contacts from GMail to Nokia Lumia 800

Contributor
danb

How to get contacts from GMail to Nokia Lumia 800

I'm having issues in getting my contacts from my GMail account to my new Lumia 800.  I find lots of references telling me to go to 'm.google.com/sync' on my phone but this just ends up in a loop (it redirects me to a page which says to visit m.google.com/sync.

I also have the contacts in vcf format but again, can't find anything relating to importing these to the Lumia.

Can anyone help?  It's a great phone so far, but ultimately pretty useless if I can't get any contacts in there!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JCinMijas

Re: How to get contacts from GMail to Nokia Lumia 800

[ Edited ]

Hi Danb.

With the Lumia 800 the process is actually quite simple - all you need to do is go to your settings tab - email+accounts which will give you 5 options - add an account - Windows Live - Google - Facebook and Twitter. Choose Google and set up your credentials for the account - enter and the device will do the rest :smileyhappy:

Take note that the syncing process will take a few minutes depending on the amount of information it has to collect from Google, like contacts, emails, tasks, calender etc. Once the sync is done - your contacts will appear in the -people tab :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps.

JC

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danb

Thanks - I did try this though and just receive a message saying: "It looks like you may be using a Google Apps account that is not set up to synchronise with mobile devices. In your PC's web browser, go to Mobile settings for your Google Apps account, enable Google Sync under Service settings and then try to synchronise again." I've followed these instructions but nothing changes - it just keeps popping up wih this message when I try to connect the Google account.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Hi danb,

Once you've synced your email to your Lumia 800, select the "Google Mail" tile and then select the 3 dots situated at the bottom right corner of the screen.

Under "settings"  select "synchronize settings" and make sure contacts is checked under "
Content to synchronize" 

This should automatically make sure your Google mail contacts are synced and can be found under your "People" tile.

Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
danb

Thanks haZey - the problem is that I can't sync anything to GMail, so I stumble at the first part of the first sentence of your reply.

From the home screen, when I press the 'Google Mail' tile I just get the same old error message: "It looks like you may be using a Google Apps account that is not set up to synchronise with mobile devices. In your PC's web browser, go to Mobile settings for your Google Apps account, enable Google Sync under Service settings and then try to synchronise again." Again, I've confirmed that the setting is set under my Google Apps account, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I've ended up taking two steps backwards and just using my old phone sim to transfer contacts, which is disappointing because I now have to maintain two lists of contacts (one on the phone, the other in Google Contacts). Crazy really, but I've wasted so much time on this already I just had to get the contacts there somehow.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BobMyers

I can sync fine with Google mail and calendar, but when I add contacts to the sync, I fail with code 80070057; the message is "We're having a problem syncing your information. Try again later."

I can figure out how to get my existing Google contacts down to the phone on a one-time basis, but I really want new contacts I enter on the phone to be synced back to Google, not Windows Live as they are now.

Any thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kads

Hello!

I use Google Gmail exchange sync instead work super.

Server: m.google.com domain: empty, your gmail user and password.

Syncs my contacts, calendar and gmail.

Kads
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
danniello87

one of the simple way to get phone contacts from your old phone to lumia 800 and any other phone with micro simcard
1/ buy one of sim card adaptor place your micro simcard into adapter and then place the simcard in to the old phone go to your contact mark all and then copy to sim card its verry easy and no pain .
before i try ovi cune and many other wich is hadeache and timewaster
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
danniello87

put your micro simcard into  sim card adaptor then   place into ur old phone go to contact mark all contact and then copy to simcard  thatit

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ITSyncrea

You can use the account type Mail for Exchange (Exchange ActiveSync).

Use SSL and when asked for the server type m.google.com.

It works on Nokia E52, basically in any phone with push mail (Mail for Exchange) 

Regards

IT Syncrea.

Regards.
IT Syncrea
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
villjar

Re: How to get contacts from GMail to Nokia Lumia 800 / 920 OUTLOOK ACTIVESYNC ERROR 80070057

[ Edited ]

I got the same error message when I initiated the lumia 920  in Outlook mailboxes error 80070057.

The problem was too much Subfolders in Outlook Inbox. I moved the subfolders of archivefolder (.PST), and sync´s works:smileyhappy:

I hope this help somebody

Please use plain text.