Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to prevent standby/sleep when charging

Registered Member
eastlands

How to prevent standby/sleep when charging

I need to use an app on my phone constantly to enter data but I cannot find any way of preventing the phone from switching the screen off and going into standby mode.

When I resume I have to navigate my way back into the app which is very frustrating.

In WM6.5 it was possible to prevent sleep mode on mains power.  Surely something like this is available in WP7?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: How to prevent standby/sleep when charging

Any app I have running on my Lumia on the homescreen opens instantly when I unlock it, why not leave the app open ??

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eastlands

That does not work for me.  The app is left open and on phone resume it is active, but clearly the developers have not written any resume functionality into it as it reverts back to the home page so I have to navigate through to the page I want.

However even if the app behaved correctly, it is still frustrating to have to switch the phone on, swipe the lock screen away etc. every couple of minutes.  Why can't I leave it switch on as I could with WM6.5?

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

There are options to change the lock screen timeout to a maximum of 5 mins. There is no option to disable it though. This is specific to Nokia phone's as other wp7's allow you to disable the lock screen completely. Nokia phones don't, they have made that decision in their design.. I believe this is a bad limitation as it is very frustrating to have to unlock the phone manually every 5 mins.

This is incredibly annoying when using GPS in the car. Bing maps locks out every 5 mins making the navigation feature unusable in a car. Nokia Drive works fine though. It is also frustrating if using music when driving.

It is up to the app developer to enable code that prevents the screen locking.

I contacted Nokia about this and they have no plans to change it. They have done this to extend battery life, but that's irrelevant whilst charging.

I wish i could just disable it like every other phone in existence.
Please use plain text.