Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to remove Windows Live ID account

Sage
banlec

How to remove Windows Live ID account

without resetting the phone to factory defaults or swapping to a different one?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: How to remove Windows Live ID account

@banlec

No doubt you have already seen this resource:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/start/change-a-windows-live-id-faq.aspx

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

[ Edited ]

Yes, I read this, however did not believe that I have to do a factory reset, maybe some workaround exists? This seems to be weird! I bought this phone for my kid since Windows Phone is easy and simple, I have set it up using my Windows Live ID and before I give it to my kid would like to remove my ID or change to some other. It looks like it is impossible to do that or I'll have to do a setup again using some newly created ID. This is strange that the phone cannot be "detached" from user ID if the user wishes so, that's significant drawback.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

From what you have said in this thread you can detach from the user id.

Just reset your phone. What reason would you have to not to wipe the phone?

If you could change the id then any games, paid apps and music wouldn't work correctly as they are tied to the id.

Just wipe the phone then put in your kids live id and start downloading the apps that you want him to have.

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

"From what you have said in this thread you can detach from the user id."

Yes, I can do it but only if I do a factory reset.

"Just reset your phone. What reason would you have to not to wipe the phone?""

I have already configured the phone, all its settings and preferences and do not want to spend more time on it.

I do not uderstand what kind of logic is that the phone must have all the time user ID in it? There should be only the need if someone wants to install some apps from the Marketplace. There is no need for storing user ID permanently in the phone and Symbian phone is a good example here.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anilkb

banlec wrote:

"From what you have said in this thread you can detach from the user id."

Yes, I can do it but only if I do a factory reset.

"Just reset your phone. What reason would you have to not to wipe the phone?""

I have already configured the phone, all its settings and preferences and do not want to spend more time on it.

I do not uderstand what kind of logic is that the phone must have all the time user ID in it? There should be only the need if someone wants to install some apps from the Marketplace. There is no need for storing user ID permanently in the phone and Symbian phone is a good example here.

Yes...it is strange to have such a drawback that we can not remove the account.  Nokia together with Microsoft should update their software/firmware and provide this facility.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Why? It's no different from how Apple and Android have their primary account. In all these cases it is not possible to remove the account for obvious reasons. Many of the phone features are linked to this account so it's a vital part of using the phone in everyday life.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

That's not strictly true of Android. I passed a fully set up Android on to my son, deleted my google account and the various e-mail accounts, set up a new one for him so he could access the app store but other than that no resetting was needed. The apps originally installed and all other settings including pictures, ring tones, music. text tones were still there for him to use /change as he wanted. In fact my contacts were still on the phone, most of which we deleted but phone wasn't set up from scratch.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

You could not have made my case better..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anilkb

If that is the case then they have responsibility to state what advantages it has, the reasons behind such a affinity etc.

This might help to understand the logic and then use it in better way.  Similarly, there are other issues (confusing good features?) in the Lumia 510 which I feel put the user to constraints/difficulty.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

This is very clearly explained on numerous webpages and posts, even here. You might want to do a search.

You Microsoft account is your phones link to you paid apps, your mail, your contacts and calendar, your music and much more. It holds all relevant permissions apps have to access parts of your system. All this information is found and/or can be edited at account.microsoft.com

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abbz

I hate this feature. I used to have lumia 800 and bought a new lumia 920. I gave my old lumia to my dad with my Live ID logged in. Now prob I face is everytime my dad connects his phone to internet it creates problem. Contacts on both phone get update unnecessarily. Due to this we have lost many contacts.

Is there anyway which can stop this process.

please help. I don't like like this feature of Winfows Phone at all
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

What you need to do is use the original Live ID on your New phone only. Reset (setting-->about) the Old phone which will erase all existing data from it and create a fresh Live ID for your dad .. You should be able to redownload any applications that were installed in your earlier device on the new one without having to pay for the paid applications ...

BTW, Not sure whether 2 phones can have the same live ID at the same time ..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

I believe you can have 5 devices sgare te same Microsoft Account.

If you give away your old phone with the same Microsoft Acount you basically give the other person access to all you data, app, media and Skydrive. You should always reset the phone before passing it on and have the new person use their own Microsoft account.

---

Please use plain text.
Greebo39

I quite agree -- I hate this too!

If one is to have such an all inclusive phone ID to enable everything to be synched, it should be handled more intelligently and not be foisted on the user as the only way to do things.

My situation is that I had a perfectly good N9 that was close to perfection as far as UI and apps were concerned, but unfortunately I fell in the Grand Union Canal with it in my pocket -- it took even less kindly to the experience than I did and was pronounced unrepairable by the Nokia Service folks.

In the circumstances, my son kindly loaned me a Lumia 800 which he had for development purposes. Obviously I could do with being able to configure it for myself whilst retaining his configuration for possible development work and to revert to when I hopefully get a new Jolla at the end of the year (give me the Sailfish MeeGo based OS over WP 7 or 8 any day!)

So how do I create my own ID without flushing his down the crapper? What if I had other reasons for changing my ID for a heavily personalised phone, like, for example an accidentally compromised Win ID?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Halesowenmum

Even if you are 100% gung ho for the factory reset option, surely you must acknowledge it's a pretty ham-fisted solution - it's hardly elegant is it.

Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. In real life people swap phones or lend phones or give someone their old phone when they get a new one, it would be logical to be able to simply say 'delete live account on this phone' then 'set up new live account on this phone'. I don't see why that can't be done.

What's on the phone relates, surely, to what's stored on the cloud somewhere and thus why you would need to reset the phone when it's an account that you can access on a pc or laptop anwyay, is beyond me. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

I fail to see any reasons why a phone reset would be such a problem when passing on a phone.

The Microsoft account is linked to much content on the phone such as apps, settings, backups and more. Even if you did remove just the account it would leave most of the functionality of the phone useless anyway.

Actually I would not want to pass on a phone with any personal information on it nor would I want to give away any apps I paid for. It's like moving house and just removing your name plate from under the doorbell. You would also remove your personal belongings and leave the house in a clean state, the same state you found the house when you moved in.

---

Please use plain text.
shark1

[ Edited ]

can somebody tell me i can't seem to be able to login and get email from my account that i have been setup with already nor able to do anything else on this damned phone nokia 710

if i try to delete the account it does not let me and if i try to setup new account it says you already have that account

seriously i am never ever buying a nokia in my life again this is worst smartphone

a smartphone which is so dumb

to just change an account reset the whole phone wow great going nokia and microsoft genius no wonder people buy android and iphone than windows phone.

it took them like a year to bring back network setup app now this **bleep**

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Wow, quite a first post. 

The Network setup has been available generally for what? 18-20 months now? 

Also the only account you can't remove is the Microsoft account the phone was registered with for obvious and by now well and truly explained reasons, ANy other account you can delete without any issues.

Are you actually having an issue with your mail or just here to pick a fight? Maybe you could share what happens when you try to get mail, are you sure you have the correct password and when you log in to http://outlook.com on a PC with the same credentials as your Microsoft account do you get access to your mail, contacts, calendars and SkyDrive there?

Do you actually see your contacts on the phone and if you have access on a PC and you add a new contact there do you see that contact appear on the phone after a short while?  When you go into Office on the phone can you open files from Skydrive?

If any of the above then there is nothing wrong with your account and maybe you just do not receive mail in your account?

---

Please use plain text.
shark1

[ Edited ]

you really think i have that much time to pick fights when you have the worst phone in the world you tend to get frustrated i resetted my phone now i got my email  now i cant get whatsapp working its one thing after another

windowsmarketplace does not work either

in marketplace i amnot able to find any app it does not matter what i search for

Please use plain text.