Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

If you must try so hard to think up excuses not to use online services I guess Windows Phone is not for you. Keep in mind though you will have a greater chance of your PC being stolen en losing all you data (and it is on the PC in readable form) than someone hacking your Microsoft account and being able to access the encrypted data which otherwise is available to you anywhere anytime.

You are on vacation abroad and lose your phone? If you can get another Windows Phone just register with the MSFT account and you ave all your data back..

Again, if you need to make up these far fetched excuses not to use Windows Phone then don't.. But also forget any other modern smartphone. Most if not all will require you to use their cloudservices for on thing or another so your attitude will also prevent you from using any of these.

And especially the remark you'd opt for an iPhone is very funy in this respect. If you think that just because it offer offline sync you do not share your personal date to the Apple cloud you have another thing coming.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HWRCO

Sorry if I gave the impression I will not to use online services. All your reasons for using cloudservices I agree with.

Stated simply, I have 3500 calendar items, and 1700 contacts in my outlook client. The outlook connector was to bring those calendar and contacts into Microsoft live which then would sync with my Nokia windows phone. Then life would be good and I could go about my business. However the outlook connector has not successfully moved any calendar items to Microsoft live & did a poor job at moving the contacts, so I'm stuck.

Any advice? Perhaps companion link seems to have software that will make this synchronization?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

No worries, I was responding to bulletista's post

Outlook was always intended to communicate with an exchange server and only recent versions of Outlook have decent support for EAS, a watered down version of the Exchange protocol for 'consumer/Mobile use', which is used by hotmail and outlook.com and even now there are issues with Outlook 2013 although they are promised to be fixed.

I personally found that the 2003 and 2008 versions of Outlook work relatively well, only the 2010 version is good as far as supporting hotmail goes. This version will also get the connector by itself if you setup a hotmail account while for previous versions you need to install it first. Windows Mail is a mailclient designed for use with hotmail/outlook.com 

• Export contacts to a CSV and calendar to an ICS file
  • Install WIndows Mail from Microsoft essentials 2012
  • Import the contacts and Calendar.
  • Wait for the magic
  • :smileyhappy:

A Microsoft account does have some restrictions on the number of contacts though, not sure what they are, but no doubt someone at Microsoft support can tell you.

Here is a useful link on this. Apparently the system has a sort of protection where it does not allow you to 'spam' your contacts with a huge number at once. It would appear though you should have no problem with your total number of contacts.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Surrendering

I too was told I could sync my phone with outlook. This is not true. I can sync to hotmail, I can not sync to outlook. I like the phone but am returning it because I can not find a solution to sync calendar and contacts. Because I used my upgrade I'm looking at 600 dollars or so for new blackberry or iPhone. Disturbing that Microsoft would insist on their product being incompatible with their other product.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HWRCO

I too was about to throw my Windows Phone 8 into the trash. I spent probably 40+ hours in last 10 days to get it to work properly.

My scenario is Outlook 2010 Client on my personal desktop with no exchange server. I've used outlook for years so all my calendar and contacts were critical to keep & keep using.

To sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook, follow carefully the instructions on these links below. The process the same for calendar or contacts.  First I suggest opening an Microsoft Live Account at: https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0&ct=1358305556&rver=6.1.6206.0&sa=1&ntprob=-1&wp=MB... .  I would use the same format, e.g.. joe.blow@outlook.com when your original e-mail was joe.blow@gmail.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454811#SyncYourContacts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459660/en

Basically, the process above will have you create a new outlook account, in which you will copy your current contacts and calendar items into. That newly created account " a outlook.com" vs.., say " yahoo.com" will be the one you use going forward and the one that will sync with your phone.

The magical link is the "Outlook Connector" which during the instructions on the links above, will be downloaded to your PC.  This outlook connector is what will sync the information in your outlook desktop client (contacts and calendars) with Microsoft Live, aka outlook.com, aka hotmail.com.  You're Live account is what will synchronize with the phone.

So: Phone <> Microsoft Live <> Microsoft Outlook

Note: A few words of wisdom after hours of trial and error, do not use the Nokia phone 'transfer my contacts" application to move your contacts via Bluetooth from your old phone to the new Nokia.  While it did a good job transferring the contacts with their associated photos, it missed some and seem to cause a lot of problems that were unexplainable.  Use directions in the link above to transfer contacts.  The Outlook Connector limitations, where it will not the photo within the contact over to Microsoft live, thus the phone.  For the few contacts I really wanted to have pictures for, all just copy those to the phone manually later.  Also if you have more than 1024 characters in the notes within the contact, Italy copies the first 1024 characters.  Overall I can live with that, as all of the information would still be in my Microsoft outlook desktop client.

I have not got everything solved, but I'm on my way.  The phone is fast but it's a challenge to figure out.  Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HWRCO

Also, if your Phone is a Nokia, they will do a Personal Appointment with you to help you setup & understand your phone at: https://setup.nokiausa.com/users/7298/appointments/new

They were excellent, spoke & understood English well even though they are not in USA. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Erika808

I won't sync my personal data to a microsoft account either and won't buy a windows phone until the problem is resolved. For all those upset with the missing functionality, please add your votes to the user voice: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/1549639-sync-directl... .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Devices 'syncing' with Outlook actually hack the Outlook datafiles on the host. Outlook is not designed to sync with devices through a cable.

Using your Microsoft account to sync with the cloud is safer then the offline route. Besides the obvious chance of corrupting the datafiles and losing all data the chance of your house getting broken in to and your PC with all your data in readable format stole is bigger than the Microsoft account being hacked.

It's also a more versatile and useful option as you have access to your data anywhere at anytime. If you have a power failure at home you can't sync using a cable (once the laptop power runs out in about 4 hours) and when you are on the other side of the world good luck finding a working USB cable which you can use..

---

Please use plain text.
RuthBetts

This is just for people in the US.  Is there a UK version of this service?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

RuthBetts wrote:

This is just for people in the US.  Is there a UK version of this service?

Which service ?

Please use plain text.
RuthBetts

Sorry - I was asking about the Nokia Appointment Service mentioned about by HWRCO.  As I clicked the 'Reply@ in his post I thought my query would be linked. Going crazy trying to sort this syncing issue on my Nokia 920!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

What is it you are having difficulties with? What version of Outlook do you use and what is or is not happening??

---

Please use plain text.
RuthBetts

I have Windows Phone 8 running on a Nokia Lumia 920. On the PC I have Outlook 2007.

I have downloaded Hotmail Connector and set up Windows Live account and can see the Windows Live account (I called it OutlookLive) in the folder structure at the side of Outlook on the PC.

I read that you need to copy appointments and contacts across by simply dragging them over. I started with appointments and just after the transfer seemed to start got a message that I should leave appointments in the Outlook account if I wanted to see acceptances and so on. I have a lot of appointments where either I have invited attendees, or where I have accepted invites from others, and I have to continue with that functionality. Also I did have the foresight to do a full back up of my .pst before starting this, so thought I’d carry on to see what happened.

All appointments were wiped from my Outlook on the PC and none of the meetings with other attendees came into OutlookLive.

I have multiple concerns/issues with this process (security on the cloud, what will happen when I send emails after I implement it – assume that to my clients it will look like I’m writing from Hotmail, where up to now I have used an ISP to send from my own domain, the fact that MS seem to be totally ignoring requests to retain Mobile Device Centre or similar ……..) but also have a living to make/ business to run & can’t survive unless I can have my calendar and contacts on my mobile.  So I can see I just need to put all my concerns and worries to one side and do what MS insist is best……. if you can help me make this work I’d be very grateful!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

The easiest way is to copy your main calendar to the Microsoft account calendar list and then use that calendar (this being the bit many people miss!). It will sync automatically from then on out.

Here's two links providing  a good bit of information and a walkthrough:

http://ambassadors.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/troubleshoot/wp-sync-outlook-to-windows-phone-wiza...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459660/en

---

Please use plain text.
RuthBetts

Thanks. That's what I thought I did. I dragged from Outlook on the PC to the new folder which Hotmail Connector created for me. But that's when all the appointments with other invitees disappeared. If not being able to import this type of appointment is something else Microsoft has decided I just need to live with, so be it. I am waving a white flag as I type :-) ....However, will I be able to set up appointments and invite people when I start using the Hotmail account as my 'master' calender? Will look at the resources you have kindly suggested. I've been slow replying as waiting for my .pst backup to reload. Sincere thanks for your interest.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Obviously the hotmail sync option will be limited to the options available through Hotmail. For anything but a 'normal' mailclient Outlook is intended to be used through an Exchange server which would allow a wider range of options when using an Exchange (or Outlook) account on a Windows Phone. It could also be that the appointments do not come through if you keep your Outlook contacts outside the Hotmail account within Outlook which results in the calendar not finding the contacts.

To find what you can do through Hotmail you could install Windows Mail from the Windows Essentials 2012 package which basically is a client for your Microsoft account on the desktop.

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
felix_s

It is very regrettable and I have experienced the same thing. I've had a chain of about 3 nokia smartphones with the lumia 820 being the 4th and for the first time now it will NOT receive the contacts from the N82 via bluetooth as claimed.

Then, no cable or bluetooth sync through the PC from offline outlook

I unwillingly moved the N82 contact through nokia suite to the skydrive cloud. I have checked on the PC contacts and calendar are now in Outlook.com .  AND OUTLOOK.COM CANNOT BE LOGGED INTO FROM THE PHONE AND NOT SYNCED AND ALSO THE SKYDRIVE APPON THE WINDOWS 8 PHONE IS TOTALLY USELESS FOR SYNCING THE CONTACTS! AM I SUPPOSED TO COPY THEM ALL ACCROSS MANUALLY???

Anyway, they've made a product that not only forces users to go into clouds they don't want to but also does not even work with those clouds as claimed!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
felix_s

To sync your Nokia Lumia windows phone OFFLINE with Outlook there is an app called Akruto

http://www.akruto.com/about-us/

I just downloaded and am going to try to get it to work as the 3 other sync methods didn't work and I didn't want to use the cloud anyhow. So will delete from the stupid cloud if this works and never use it again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
felix_s

AKRUTO WORKS!!!

:smileyhappy:

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC the end of this stupid non-syncing windows phone and blow the stupid cloud away. Deleted my outlook.com. So can now sync windows phone to outlook calendar and contacts offline. 

Yes, it is clearly a little bit hacky, the designers of the phone have tried to prevent this happening but it works perfectly!! ..and once it was downloaded and I'd gone through the various technical procedures I was syncing within 10 minutes.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

felix_s wrote:

It is very regrettable and I have experienced the same thing. I've had a chain of about 3 nokia smartphones with the lumia 820 being the 4th and for the first time now it will NOT receive the contacts from the N82 via bluetooth as claimed.

The N82 does not support the PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile) which is a prerequisite for using the bluetooth transfer option. Where did you find the claim this will work with the N82?

Also as the vast majority of users seem to have no problem syncing through the cloud it' smore likely you are doing something wrong here.

My guess is you are trying to log into outlook.com using the outlook account on the phone which is not possible. You might want to use the many resources available in this thread alone to educate yourself on how this works. You might want to start here and here

---

Please use plain text.