Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook...

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

felix_s wrote:

Deleted my outlook.com. 

This phrase alone tells me you did not setup the phone properly.

The online connection and especially the primary accont is essential to the functionality of any Windows way beyond just mail.

But if it works for you that's fine..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Dwightgrr

Still looking for a workable way to do this. Far as I can tell this is a major MS design flaw.  Love the phone, but would not have gotten another Windows phone if I had known this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There is a workable way to do this, setup your Microsoft account  in outlook and follow the clear and simple instructions repeasted here and elsewhere many times Problem solved

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Freddo2

Go to Akruto.com and use their flawless software for direct sync with outlook via your WiFi.

It will sync anytime you add or change your contacts, calendar etc. (2-way traffic)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ripeka

I get emails on my mob from iTunes, but can't download anything once in the site!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Dwightgrr

Yes, I discovered Akruto on my own.  And it works!!!!!  While stil **bleep** about MS I am a happy camper with this phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Snapcap

I just want to add my support to this.  I have just changed to a Nokia 920 to get away from IPHONE icloud deleting all my contacts and calendars and to try and get back some of the features I have been missing on from my previous phone but I have to say ....... AT LEAST IPHONE LINKS BY CABLE OR WIRELESS DIRECT TO MICROSOFT OUTLOOK IN ALL KEY AREAS  just dont go near icloud. Is this cloud system just a way of trapping people to use something they neither want or need so that in the future it can be charged for as an unnecessary expense??? Android seem to be no better but then it is Google.  We do not all want to work with our heads in the clouds!!

GIVE US BACK OUR EASY SYNC TO OUR PHONES!!!!  LISTEN TO US !!!!! OR ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE US ALL GO TO IPHONES?

I have just spent the last 4 days trying to get the new phone to half do what I need it to.  I am seriously considering sending it back today and cancelling the whole contract and going back to iphone then starting a facebook page to say NO to compulsory cloud based linking.  Where is our freedom to choose gone???

Please tell me if you are sorting out software to do the linking in the near future, Companion link offer software to do it but why should I have to pay £50 to get something this phone should already do???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

The way Windows Phone does contacts is at the core of the OS and the WP way of doing things. Offline sync of contacts and calendar in Windows Phone is not going to happen.

If this is not what you want then you are using the wrong phone.

---

Please use plain text.
bkreader

while it is nice to see that my inability to sync my calendar with my 822 has nothing to do wiht my skill level, it is extremely disappointing to learn that it is simply not possible.  I was on the verge of buying a Microsoft Surface thinking that it, plus my phone plus my desktop, would all be in sync.  Now it looks like I need to consider a IPAD instead, not to mention a different phone even though this one is only one month old. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Your desktop PC, Surface Tablet and Windows Phone all sync perfectly fine with each other through your Microsoft account.

Just be honest here and say you prefer to sync using a USB cable and therefore you choose not to use any modern day Microsoft products. 

---

Please use plain text.
ACPhillips

Re: How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook >> AKRUTO SYNC

I had multiple issues tryng to sync my Nokia 822 to Outlook as well.  The standard instructions, from Microsft, requiring use of a cloud-based link through a Hotmail or Live account did not work well (plus I don't like putting my contacts and calendar in the cloud). 

I did a lot of searching around and finally came upon AKRUTO SYNC (www.akruto.com).  They built an app for phone and PC syncing, that works via a local WIFI connection. It's a direct, two-way, sync for contacts, calendar and tasks. It's GREAT.  It worked the first time, without any hassles.  It's only $19.95 / year and it's WELL worth it.  They have a 7 day free trial. 

Please use plain text.
Vidfamne

Ok, have set up as per instructions, but how do I set my Outlook.com (hotmail) calendar to be the default in Outlook 2010? When I get meeting requests via my Outlook account (not the hotmail one), these still ends up in the offline calandar. How can I get these to be synched into the online version automatically? And how do I set up meetings in the online calendar and be able to send out invitations via the outlook mail account?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stewartmw

paulheu...you sound like a 10 year old spoiled brat. Not having a direct sync is about the dumbest thing around, and to give you a specific example as to why I personally am not allowed by corporate IS standards to upload anything to the cloud. Nada. So if I want to sync my phone, I have to do it directly through the computer. As that is not available through Windows Phone/Lumina 920 it makes it the main complaint I have against an otherwise great product. Heck...I can't even connect my phone to the wireless connections at work, so the only way I can use Akura is when I'm at home.

Microsoft has good products and I enjoy many of them, but forcing people to do something like upload their personal info to their cloud service vs. just making it the primary means with a workaround is the corporate arrogance that has run many people away from them.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lumia920alias

Hi Mr Odd Job,

We together made the same assumption and now face the same problem . I in the past used nokia pc suite to sync nokia phones to windows outlook which worked perfectly . I regrettably assumed a nokia phone with windows software could only be even better than the software nokia had used before . Unfortunately not , not better , actually , it doesn't work at all and nokia no longer even have a supporting software like the old pc suite which is very very disappointing .

My question is - how can new technology not be better than old, to all ? I mean, correct me if im wrong but nokia don't exactly have a narrow market , they market to all, not a small specific segment .

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word technology refers to the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a preexisting solution to a problem, achieve a goal

Is Nokia no longer in the business of technology ?

I acknowledge that some, pro cloud ideologists, can, and even have made this cloud based syncing solution work, but what about the rest of us ? what about :
a) those not wanting to store personal information on a cloud
b) those who simply cannot set this cloud solution up
c) those who liked the old manual solution and just want to continue this way ( by cable , Bluetooth etc ). Those loyalty to nokia customers that see support as a 2 way street

Shouldn't expensive new technology make life easier ?

It used to ......
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
manwithanose

I've just been hoodwinked into getting a Nokia Lumia 620 on the understanding that I could sync my outlook calendar and contacts from my PC to my phone via a usb cable. I can't !  Grrrrrr...... I DO NOT wish to load all of my contacts and my calendar onto an American controlled website / server. How can I be sure the CIA & FBI will not be looking through my data? That microsoft will sell my data at some point in the future?  I live in rural Kent, UK in a geographical dip and cant always get access to the web. I also travel to rural parts of India, same problem. A USB cable takes up little room in a suitcase. The rest of the world is not the USA please keep things simple. I use my smart phone for business, we do not all want to have instant access to on line videos, face book and music. So its back to my 6 yr old HTC that runs windows office and active sync with no problems at all. 

This Nokia goes back to the shop tomorrow. I have used Nokia phones for years, the cheep plastic, simple ones that can get a signal almost anywhere. But I won't be using their smart phones. I feel I have been conned.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wmo8

im posting this in as many places as possible becasue this needs to be changed: we need a USB pc-phone sync option again! this is stupid that I need to use an online account to sync calendar and contacts from my local pc. why do this? I have a usb cable connecting my pc to my phone for charging. bring back activesync! especially now that I know the government is liberally pulling everyone's information from most large cloud service providers! we need convenience and security. it also stupid that I have to copy contacts from outlook to my outlook Hotmail account. this should be seamless. and if i really need to use an online account, dont make me copy entries from one calendar or contacts "folder" to another one to get the sync moving! M$ - you guys really missed the ball on this one! bring back activesync. its sad that other non-m$ phones are doing this correctly, but you guys are not. wake up man!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HWRCO

I agree with your request about USB Sync.  Would be nice.

THE BIGGEST DISAPOINTMENT WITH WINDOWS PHONE 8 IS THE FACT THAT OUTLOOK DOES NOT COMPLETLY SYNCE WITH IT!!!  WHAT HAPPENED TO OUTLOOK TASKS & NOTES???  BOTH ARE INTERGRAL PARTS OF OUTLOOK DESKTOP, BUT DON’T EXISIT ON WINDOWS PHONE 8.

I HAVE SEEN NUMEROUS REQUESTS FOR THIS, BUT NO ANSWERS THAT I COULD FIND.

IF SOMEONE FROM MICROSOFT COULD TELL ME WHY THIS IS???

• TRYING TO GET THE WP8 OUT IN TIME FOR 2012 HOLIDAY SALES?
  • WE FORGOT IT?
  • TRYING TO PUSH USERS TO SPEND MORE $ FOR PRODUCTS WE DON’T NEED LIKE NOTES?
  • ANYTHING?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Outlook is a program designed to work through an exchange server. If you use it as such tasks and notes sync just fine. If you use a consumer option such as hotmail/outlook some options may not be available.

USB/WiFi offline sync has been available for quite some time through Akruto for the few people who seem to be determined to need it. And yes, that is a few people. Just because many of the few show up here does not mean it is a general issue for the majority of people..

---

Please use plain text.
Luca1965

My company work with Nokia and Microsoft. I have to use their product but I'm so so disappointed and demoralized by the user experience that surely I can never be a good ambassador of these brands.
The first step is to consider office / outlook an important corporate asset and throw every advantage of connectivity that prior versions of the mobile
micrsosoft operating systems had.
Microsoft's strategy to extend the coverage of the office suite
to the consumer world is also known. Less clear is why an operating system for phones, that began as a consumer-oriented, can not be placed in direct and contunuous communication with office.
Microsoft sells at Google and Apple api to effectively synchronize their mobile products but it is not able to offer something a similar functionality with the effect to lose sales.

In parallel nokia agrees to put on the market products with WP operating system that lose functionality in sync with outlook that had earlier Symbian.

the new operating system removes the possibility, for a exchange user also, to synchronize the outlook notes with the mobile phone.
We do not talk about idiocy of the steps to be able to transfer, do not say sync, your calendar and contacts from outlook to the phone.

ProbabIy I'm one of the unlucky conumer users, but the procedure via outlook connector and the
direct export and import did not work.

While I am a
FORCED user , I've tried all these steps to "convert" my wife to switch from iPhone to Lumia.

Well, the experience and the difficulties encountered lead me to believe that this is not a business that interests you. A "normal" user wants that all work easily and at the first attempt not device that make life difficult and, in any case, do not work as you desire.

At the and of the day: she will buy a new iphone and we will suggest to our friends not to buy a Nokia with Microsoft operating system because this product does not offer the same functionality, interoperability and ease of use of a competitor.

This is called "free market", and you have not yet understood what that means.
Your disappointed user

Please use plain text.
antigone

Hello.

I'm another one who was very excited at the idea of being able to get a Nokia phone again because I thought it would sync contacts and calendar directly with Outlook on my computer. After all, it was Nokia and Nokia has always synced perfectly using Office Suite.

In the end, I returned my Lumia 820 and stuck with my older android. It syncs ALMOST perfectly with Outlook. Who would have guessed that an android phone could sync with Outlook (a Windows program) better than a Windows phone. I'm sure that Nokia could do it perfectly, if only Nokia would try. I'd be back in an instant to buy a Lumia or whatever the next Nokia windows phone is.

Come on Nokia...please, PLEASE

Antigone  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.