Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

wobblybob

How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

[ Edited ]

Hi

Like all I see I also bought a windows 800 on the basis that all our team of 50 would change from Iphones to windows so we could sync with our outlook which is not server based but we each run our own outlook folders but no there is no outlook sync.   Yes you can copy to the live account and then use that as your main calendar but who wants to do that?

I asked and was told specifically that it would sync with outlook so the Carephone Warehouse guy either lied or did not know his stuff ( I know what my guess is!)    Amazingly my wife's samsung galaxy using Android does sync.

If you can tell me how I can synchronise my windows phone with my Outlook without exporting and importing CSV and ICS files then please do so.

Moderators note: changed thread title to reflect subject. Moved from another thread.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

[ Edited ]

Hi wobblybob,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

When you are told you can sync a Windows Phone with Outlook that would be correct. What you are really asking is 'can I connect my Lumia to the PC with the USB cable and sync with Outlook offline'. The answer to that would be no.

How you sync with Outlook can be answered in a short and long version. The long and extensive version can be found here. The short version is:

For Outlook 2003 and 2007 install the Outlook Hotmail connector and setup an account for your  LiveID, for Outlook 2010 just setup the account and it will prompt you to install the connector. A step by step guide can be found here.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
wobblybob

Hi Kosh

I have already downloaded and installed the connector and my calendar is synching through to my Live calendar but I cannot get it to in turn synch with my Lumia 800.   What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks

Chris

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DKNY2012

Go into the Windows Live E-Mail that you have setup on the phone and go into the Synchronisation settings and check if you have "Calendar" ticked next to "content to synchronize"

Please use plain text.
Houchy

I have the same problem, it is such a pain to sync calendar and contacts!!

I miss my old Nokia 5310 and it's seemless bluetooth sync. I used to be able to sync calendar+contact+notes so easily and now it is such a pain ... I'm wasting so much time with this, arrgghh!

Is there any chance we'll get a no-cloud sync functionality soon? or should I get an Android phone now?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
robbatt

I very much agree with Houchy.  I too need a local sync before I buy what is undoubtedly a great phone.

Kosh advises: "When you are told you can sync a Windows Phone with Outlook that would be correct. What you are really asking is 'can I connect my Lumia to the PC with the USB cable and sync with Outlook offline'. The answer to that would be no."

That's a shame because it appears that apart from the dislike of many to offer up their data to the cloud,  little has been mentioned about security issues.  As someone who has sensitive  data,  not all of which can be encrypted in Outlook,  this is a definite reason NOT to buy the  800 and presumably this has affected sales.  We don't all want to use Facebook et al;  some have work to do.

Until this issue is sorted I'll have to stick with 2 devices;  an ageing but excellent HP iPaq and a separate Nokia phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kassi

Hi Kosh

Thanks for your detailed instructions..I followed these and managed to get my outlook contacts to sync but I can't seem to get my calendar to sync.

Below is an example of the hundreds of error messages I'm getting on the Server Status Detailed Report:

Time: 1/07/2012 1:53:12 PM
Error in Calendar
Synchronization error.
Unable to synchronize item :
Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder.

Time: 1/07/2012 2:23:04 PM
Error in Calendar
Synchronization error.
An unknown error occurred. Some items may not have synchronized with the server : Bank SA Appointment
Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder.

Please help me if you can...I have wasted too much time on this and really need the phone to sync for my job.

Like some of the others, I bought this phone thinking it would be easier to sync with my laptop, but it's proven to be more of a nightmare!

Thanks

Kassi

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Kassi,

Thanks for your feedback.

I order to help you with this more information woudl be needed;

What version of Outlook are you using

What is your PC OS version

Where do you find the error log?

As far as I can see this is not something related to the Outlook connector but caued by something else.

Let me know how you get on,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

@Kosh

Part the reason I went for a windows phone was the thought that it would sync seamlessly with a windows PC. what a fool was I, why do we have to sync though the cloud just to do something that was so simple with most of my previous Nokia phones. Personally I have no need for all my contacts now being in the cloud I had no wish to have to set up an account that I don’t want, but here I am stuck with a system that is far more complicated than it needs to be for me. I 'm sure their are many people out there that can make excellent use of this way of syncing there phones, but there is also a lot of us out here in the real world who for what ever the reason don’t not want our personal information in places that it has no need in being, why couldn’t we be given the choice of using the cloud or syncing directly if that’s what we want??????

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Forceflow

I completely agree, this has been one of my biggest disapointments once I stareted using my Lumia 900. I have my private eMail Acocunt and I have a business Exchange Account. I always kept the contacts and more importantly the calender synchronised with my NOKIA mobile phone. Now this no longer works.

I cannot set up the Exchange Account on my WP due to security restrictions from my company, nor can I use external software to sync my Outlook with my Live Account or even connect my work Outlook to my Live Account. So now I no longer have my work calender on my private phone, which is really annoying when I want to set up appointments while not being at work. Not to mention that the synchronisation between Windows Live and my phone seems to be fairly inconsistent.

Dear NOKIA and Microsoft: Not everybody has the ability to access the cloud from everywhere and all the time. Sometimes being able to do things offline via a USB connection is the only way to get things done. (This is also true for the Marketplace!)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TechFriend123

Dear All,

I must say I totally aggree that it is a shame that Nokia did not include the possibility to sync outlook data directly between computer and phone without spreading all information throughout the cloud. I was looking forward to the first Nokia windows phone and it is a disappointment in this very important point.

I would suggest anyone to carefully consider this option before purchasing a Nokia phone with windows.

Please Nokia, differenciate yourself from others such as Apple by giving people freedom to choose which data they want to have in the cloud and what is private.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Halesowenmum

I have the Acer Aspire One which I believe does not have bluetooth although it has wifi. Do I need bluetooth to be able to sync with Outlook or not?

Why do you have to have a Windows Live ID to do this?????

Itls ONLY the calendar I need to sync (don't use Outlook for contacts or emails) - once it's all done, will I (FINALLY!!!!) be able to be out and about and if someone says oh can we meet up on such and such a date, I'll actuallty be able to look at my phone, look into my calendar, and add that appointment????!  Please say yes!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nusha

[ Edited ]

wobblybob wrote:
Yes you can copy to the live account and then use that as your main calendar but who wants to do that?

Like the original poster, I am not thrilled with the idea of storing my sensitive information in the cloud.

Besides privacy implications,  Windows Live, has trouble handling more than around 1500 contacts (I have close to 4000) and truncates notes that you add to contacts.

To be fair, this problem is not unique to Lumia.  It has been discussed on the Microsoft Answers forums since the Windows Phone OS came out.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cheggers70

Hello, I have followed all of the instructions on the post to the letter, and have managed to get my Windows Live /Hotmail calendar to sync with outlook.  However, I have gone to Windows Live E-Mail that I have setup on the phone and into the Synchronisation settings, but there is no "Calendar" option that I can tick next to "content to synchronize". Can you please provide me with some help?

Thanks and regards

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Aarne

I agree with other people - non-cloud sync is essential.

I'm looking for a replacement for my E75, and the available options are poor compared to the qwerty keypad for rapid, unintrusive typing and ESPECIALLY THE DISCREEET AND SECURE CALENDAR AND CONTACTS SYNC.

It is amazing that people use cloud based sync for work purposes - doesn't anyone read and understand the "damages" clauses in the NDAs they sign any more?

Nokia - please pay attention, continue the "PC Suite" or equivalent and you'll see us business folks flocking in.

Brgs,

Aarne

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

There is good reason not to store sensitive information in the cloud as they may not be so private to cloud employees. I could give you some links but they will be deleted anyway.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pohah

Nice to know I'm not the only fool to assume a new Nokia lumia 800 would synchronise with outlook as easy as previous blackberries, palm and old Nokia once did. Upon asking my friendly salesperson, will this easily  synchronise with ...... Ooh yes of course it will !     I will be replacing this phone ASAP, this will be the last Nokia or MS phone we'll ever  have.   Not happy Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Halesowenmum

Pohah I feel your pain.

I've just spent another 2 hours trying to follow yet more useless instructions which I know won't work (and they didn't) and for what? All I want to do is sync my MICROSOFT Outlook Calendar, with my MICROSOFT Windows software on my Lumia phone.

I'd be more successful building my own home-made rocket and flying to the moon. Seriously.

Microsoft and Noka - you should be utterly ashamed. Your product (if we can even call it that) sucks.

Please use plain text.
michaelkei

Another frustrated customer here for the same reason. I can't sync to outlook directly like I used to with this piece of junk (I even tried the cloud my company's outloook PGP setting gave me all sorts of errors).

As soon as iPhone5 is out next month, I will use this junk as my alarm clock at home. I have thrown many my previous alarms clocks to the wall and broke them...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Elco

Just to signal that I am another one looking to change its old N97 (2,5 years old) and I realize that I cannot synchronize directly with Outlook if I choose a Lumia 800.

This is major reason for me to choose another phone supporting that feature. How is it possible that Nokia forgot that!!

Please use plain text.