Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

Advisor
Atul11

Re: How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook

Kosh,

When I try to add and sync outlook account through exchange server, I get error saying "One of the policies can not be enforced on your phone". When I contacted administrator at our company, they said that Lumia do not have storage encryption and thus your e-mails can not be synchronised with your phone.

And our company have no intentions to change exchange sync policy.

Is there any other way to sync?

Is Nokia updating the firmware to add storage encryption to allow sync?
Current Phone: Lumia 710
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Thanks for the feedback.

Encryption is included in Windows phone 8 which unfortunately won't run on current hardware. At this time we have no information on whether or not encryption will be included in the upcoming Windows Phone 7.8 update.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DenisV

I'm not sure what the fuss is here... use ZUNE and everything you need is synced... totally automatically on my Lumina 900 ...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Halesowenmum

Well aren't you the lucky one?!!!!!

For your info, there are many many of us who have installed Zune, tried to sync Zune, failed to sync Zune, followed all the troubleshooting for how to sync Zune - and it STILL won't work.

That's why there's a "fuss"!!

If you were one of the ones who couldn't get the phone to work and sync as it needs to, I think you'd be feeling the frustration too!

It only took me 3 months to get my calendar to sync with Outlook....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Patrick8877

I just bought a Lumia 800.

Knowing that Blackberry, Android as well as heavily competing Apple phones can sync locally with Outlook, the idea that a MICROSOFT phone would not provide this feature never even occured to me.

The lack of this primitive feature makes the phone unusable whenever confidentiality or only privacy is a concern.

It's a joke to be honest, but not a good one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Elco

I completely agree.

I thought it was an advantage to use Microsoft on both sides, but it is not possible. Technically it is a Nonsense that non Microsoft phone propose that option and it is not possible with phone running Microsoft Windows...

Right now nobody in this forum gave a good reason why it is not possible...

It must be a marketing decision, maybe an agreement between Nokia and Microsoft to force Nokia users to use Microsoft's cloud. This is the only good reason I can imagine.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Elco wrote:
It must be a marketing decision, maybe an agreement between Nokia and Microsoft to force Nokia users to use Microsoft's cloud. This is the only good reason I can imagine.

That could be true only if non-Nokia WP handsets had this functionality. They don't.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Elco

This is a good point. It would mean that it is more Microsoft decision than Nokia.

However, I have recently noticed that my Nokia Suite was signaling an update to handle Lumia phone saying "Donwload your contacts, calendar and photos to you Nokia Lumia phone". I was thinking, this is a good point, Nokia decided to handle what Microsoft did not using their own Nokia Suite software but finally I figured out that it is required to first synchronize with SkyDrive...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JustaPhad

Hi Folks,

I bought the Lumia 920 last night to replace my iPhone 4. The Bluetooth on the iPhone is bad.

I decided to get the 920 instead of the iPhone since I use Windows 8 and other MS products. The Bluetooth on the 920 was a really nice replacement. Overall I really like the 920.

I was absolutely floored when I found out that I can not directly sync my contacts to my phone. This was a shock to me. It was more of a stunning "What the...." for me.

Sorry to say that I have to take this 920 back and get a new iPhone. Since it's been less than 24 hours no loss for me. But a loss for MS/Nokia.

I have no desire to "Get with the times:" I know how I like to work and get things done, and this is not the way for me. Maybe someday MS/Nokia will listen to customers. Then again maybe not.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
gdtobme

I got my Lumia 900 phone on US release day one.  I was surprised that there was no native sync with Outlook.  I assumed MS would support its products across lines.  You know--Miscrosoft Outlook, Microsoft Windows Phone 7.5--one big happy family.  Boy was I wrong!

In the end, getting a Windows phone was an expensive mistake--this being the most inconvenient missing feature of WP7.5.  My calendar and contacts are important to me.  I realize I got the $100 Nokia credit so my phone was "free" but I still paid for taxes, activation and worse of all, I am now locked in for another 17 months under AT&T contract.

Back to Apple iPhone.  Believe me, I really tried to support MS (I'm a Windows fan) & Nokia but they have failed me big time.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Silverwolf_au

I also made the mistake thinking (and was assured) I could sync outlook, and I'd also like to treat W7.5 like a mini pc- easily move files or browse (like my previous HTC).

So, when my current mobile contract expires, I'll retire this Nokia (Lumia 800).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Computermensch

[ Edited ]

Use the sky, i.e. People hub in Windows (people.live.com) i.e. with the People hub in Outlook 2013.

Previous versions of Outlook lacked support for Exchange ActiveSync (the stuff under the hoods of online email, i.e. also at Microsoft i.e. Hotmail, Outlook.com).

PIM: If you prefer to do the labour and set up a registry of all contacts you have generated to date you can export contacts from i.e. Google, Microsoft and others to a file ... and import that file at the other contacts web service.

None of the vendors and competitors currently offers to updates the other partys data in the automated way ... i.e. only file transfers using your own computers.

But according to PIM (Personal Information Management) life cycle research you will probably still generate new contact data events locally - i.e. mobile where you at (i.e. a new contact or update contact). The Windows phone also connects to the People hub and puts the data there.

The People hub can also connect to Google contacts and show the data from that source. When data is updated for such remotely sourced contacts data the changes does not go back to Google ... but only to the People Hub copy of that i.e. Google contact with i.e. the address field overriden by new data (i.e. an address change of sourced contact data from Google - done using the Microsoft People Hub ... i.e. using frontends to the people hub web service like Windows Phone, Outlook 2013, people.live.com)

Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

JustaPhad wrote:

Hi Folks,

I bought the Lumia 920 last night to replace my iPhone 4. The Bluetooth on the iPhone is bad.

I decided to get the 920 instead of the iPhone since I use Windows 8 and other MS products. The Bluetooth on the 920 was a really nice replacement. Overall I really like the 920.

I was absolutely floored when I found out that I can not directly sync my contacts to my phone. This was a shock to me. It was more of a stunning "What the...." for me.

Sorry to say that I have to take this 920 back and get a new iPhone. Since it's been less than 24 hours no loss for me. But a loss for MS/Nokia.

I have no desire to "Get with the times:" I know how I like to work and get things done, and this is not the way for me. Maybe someday MS/Nokia will listen to customers. Then again maybe not.

Good luck.

wow.. ms and nokia are going to be really disappointed to lose you. incidentally, you can sync your contacts with your phone.. you are obviously not very tech-savy.. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

JustaPhad wrote:

Funny post this, Using Windows 8 and then not liking the fact that your Lumia WIndows will sync directly with whatever you change in your contact list or Calendar on your Windows 8 PC amazes me, I would be more inclined to suspect a trolling attempt here. If this is not an oxymoron I do not know what is.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Computermensch wrote:

Previous versions of Outlook lacked support for Exchange ActiveSync (the stuff under the hoods of online email, i.e. also at Microsoft i.e. Hotmail, Outlook.com)

Almost, in fact Outlook has always been exactly that, an Exchange active sync client. Just not of the slight variation of this which is used for hotmail, outlook,com and gmail (mainly).

In fact Outlook was never intended to be used through any offline means such as Nokia does with Nokia Suite. That was more of a loophole which is also why this mostly breaks on every new version of Outlook.

Outlook 2010 had the mechanism to get and install the Hotmail connector more or less built in, previous version required it to be installed separately.

outlook 2013 is itself designed to be used as a cloudbased app and is in fact the last version that will be available in an offline (full install) form.

In fact for normal personal everyday use it would IMO be more efficient and cheaper to just use outlook.com which has all the main office 2013 apps available as webapps anyway.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PatrickPhung

Hi I check and some time the Lumia 900 shows the account's setting BUT there is NO box (option) to let you choose to sync calendar, only box to sync emails in the Window Live account. These boxes are available for google mail account thought! What can i do to make the box/option to sync calendar available? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Contacts and Calendar is by default synced to the primary Microsoft account, for any additional Exchange Active Sync account you can select whether to sync any of these separately.

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HWRCO

Did you ever solve How to sync a Lumia Windows Phone with Outlook?  I just got a Nokia Lumia Windows phone and trying to figure out how to sink my outlook desktop calendar items (yahoo is my primary calendar) waive the phone.  So far hours spent and nothing.  I too have work to do, care less about Facebook, twitter, blah blah blah.  Have e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks I want to sync plus many Microsoft excel, word, and PowerPoint documents.

Got to be a simpler way after all isn't this a Microsoft windows phone?  Isn't Microsoft make of oulook?  How shameful these millionaires can't get their act together.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Copy your office documents to skydrive.com and they can be accessed on the phone.

See this thread on how to sync. You may also want to search for an answer before you ask the same question which has been asked and answered many times in this thread alone. This is not a matter of not knowing, it is a matter of not willing to put in a little effort to educate yourself. You also might want to take some time and familiarize yourself with a product you use by reading it's related webpages like at windowsphone.com.

Oh and in case you want to come back with the question if you can use an USB onnection to sync then the answer is no.

---

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bulletista

Paulheu wrote:

In fact Outlook was never intended to be used through any offline means such as Nokia does with Nokia Suite. That was more of a loophole which is also why this mostly breaks on every new version of Outlook.

Outlook 2010 had the mechanism to get and install the Hotmail connector more or less built in, previous version required it to be installed separately.

outlook 2013 is itself designed to be used as a cloudbased app and is in fact the last version that will be available in an offline (full install) form.

In fact for normal personal everyday use it would IMO be more efficient and cheaper to just use outlook.com which has all the main office 2013 apps available as webapps anyway.

Funny thing is that Millions of users worldwide use Outlook as an offline client, which should be perfectly known to Microsoft. A Company that takes its users seriously would turn that "loophole" into a feature rather than forcing them to disclose private information to the company's cloud.

There is hardly more confidential information than one's calendar and contacts; this is why it is completely incomprehensible to me that anyone expects or even advises me to send this information into some server-farm in an unknown place and maybe hosted by some sub-sub-contractor company.

The bottom line for me is: my mobile contract is going to expire in about three months. If by then Nokia has not provided an offline synch solution, I am likely to opt for an iPhone where I can do exactly this and compensate for the (really brilliant and beloved) Nokia navigation by buying some software like Navigon.

Nokia is about to lose a faithful customer...

By the way, if the Outlook 2013 outlook should come true, Microsoft might lose millions of faithful customers to some new software company that better understands customer needs.

Please use plain text.