Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to tell if WiFi is used by apps and featur...

safanth

How to tell if WiFi is used by apps and features that use the internet....

Hi there,

I just started to use the Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone.

To discover the phone and all it's abilities I consume a lot of data from the internet (chat messages, photo's, websites etc.)

My subscription with my phone provider is limiting the amount of data to 250MB. More data will result in extra costs.

At home and WiFi hotspots, I connect using WiFi.

I see on top the screen the 3G symbol as well as the WiFi symbol when connected.

But my question is: How do I know for use that when I am connected to a WiFi server, it will download data from the internet using WiFi , rather then the 3G which will have impact on my MB usage of my subscription.

Additionally: how can I see how many MB (data) I have consumed sofar..?

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Sage
r2504

Re: How to tell if WiFi is used by apps and features that use the internet....

Whenever WIFI is available it will be used prior to 3G.

I don't think an application can decide to use 3G when WIFI is available.

One exception is when the phone is in standby (ie. black screen and not connected to power)... in that case it will use 3G even if WIFI is available.  So if you're phone is lying around and it checks for mail, it will use the 3G (not very nice if you have a limited data plan) !!!

Please use plain text.
safanth

Thanks for the quick and clear answer. I apreciate that and surely I have learned something.

Just to ask a follow up question; you mention if it's not connected to power. Whenever I have my phone connected to my PC or Laptop using the USB cable. Does that count as being connected to power, since it's also recharging the battery that way? (Resulting in using WiFi while connected to the PC/Laptop)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

The easy way to guarantee using WiFi and not mobile data is to simply disable mobile data when you don't want to use it!

Settings > mobile network > Data connection
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
FunkyDunc

"Additionally: how can I see how many MB (data) I have consumed sofar..?"

This is not a function from what others have told me on here.

To be honest its not a function on Android either.  However on Android there are a number of apps available that record useage.  Some of the better ones even turn off 3G when you get to your limit.

I emailed the developer of the one I used on Android and he said he had no intention of developing any thing for Windows :-(

Please use plain text.
Sage
r2504

Check with your provider if they don't have an app.

Mine (Proximus Belgium) has an app called "Hello Proximus" which checks data usage (and even shows it on a live tile).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

I'm with Vodafone UK and can go online and see all usage - eg SMS, data and calls

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
FunkyDunc

I'm UK Orange, and they do an app, but its slow and not ideal.  A live tile would be a much better solution.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DW14

There is an Orange UK app called 'Your Orange'.

I have it on my Lumia and it tells you how many minutes used and how much data.

It is a live tile.

Please use plain text.