Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to verify an unlocked SIM?

Contributor
DetergentCandy
Accepted Solution

How to verify an unlocked SIM?

T-mobile finally sent me my SIM unlock instructions. 

I'm supposed to dial ##782# from the dial screen and hit "call" and it's supposed to bring up a text box where I enter a long string of numbers. At least that's what it's supposed to do. 

However, when I hit "call" it just closes the dialer and brings me back to the "contacts" screen O.o

How do I know my phone is unlocked? I'll be traveling over seas this summer and would really like to get this taken care of beforehand. 

Phone is Lumia 810

Version 1.7.0.173

Accessories agent 1.0.5.2

Feedback to Nokia 2.2.0.9

Nokia First Use Experience 1.3.0.0

SmsVCardReceiver 1.0.0.8

Warranty Registration 1.1.0.4

SIM Unlock 1.0.0.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Simple way to tell if your phone is unlocked is put another sim card in from another operator.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

[ Edited ]

It should be 8 numbers long and if you insert SIM from network other than T-Mobile/Orange/EE you should get a screen to enter it together with the notification of number of attempts remaining (maximum of 10).

You should key in ##782# without SIM then hit call and if device is unlocked you will get screen with "Your device is already unlocked".

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DetergentCandy

scoobyman wrote:

It should be 8 numbers long and if you insert SIM from network other than T-Mobile/Orange/EE you should get a screen to enter it together with the notification of number of attempts remaining (maximum of 10).

You should key in ##782# without SIM then hit call and if device is unlocked you will get screen with "Your device is already unlocked".

I unfortunately don't have any other SIMs around that I can try.

But when I dial ##782# when my SIM is removed, I get a message saying that my SIM is either removed or invalid and my only option is to make an emergency call... :/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

You need a sim inserted

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DetergentCandy

Also, the instructions keep talking about an 8 digit unlock code. But the code they provided me with is 20 digits...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Only a Symbian device unlock code is like this #pw+1234567890+1# so don't know what they have sent you!

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DetergentCandy

[ Edited ]

It's just a string of 20 numbers.

But they say it should be 8 numbers D:

Instructions are like "Enter the 8 number unlock code! Here's your unlock code 48561749365029573648" And i'm like :smileysad:

But that doesn't even matter cause ##782# doesn't bring up the unlock box like it's supposed to :/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

DetergentCandy wrote:

But that doesn't even matter cause ##782# doesn't bring up the unlock box like it's supposed to :/

You probably need to have a SIM from a different network inserted in the phone in order to prompt the unlcok box.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DetergentCandy

93tid wrote:

DetergentCandy wrote:

You probably need to have a SIM from a different network inserted in the phone in order to prompt the unlcok box.

Correct! That did it. I found an old Simyo card and popped it in last night. It prompted me for the unlock code, and accepted the 20 digit number I was given. 

Problem solved. Thanks guys!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yeungl

The correct key is ##7820#

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

yeungl wrote:

The correct key is ##7820#

No, it is not.

Please use plain text.
_naz

I can confirm that that code ( ##7820# ) is the one required to enter the unlocking code.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

_naz wrote:

I can confirm that that code ( ##7820# ) is the one required to enter the unlocking code.

For what handset ?

Please use plain text.
_naz

Lumia 920 UK locked to EE.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

This thread is related to WP7.5 handsets, for which this code will not work, therefore next time please be more careful when posting information which is misleading.

Please use plain text.
_naz

You're incorrect and I'd expect more from someone with the nick 'Mobile Guru'.

While we're here, I recommend you upgrade to a handset that supports WP8.1, it is outstanding.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

_naz wrote:

You're incorrect and I'd expect more from someone with the nick 'Mobile Guru'.

While we're here, I recommend you upgrade to a handset that supports WP8.1, it is outstanding.

I have two different WP7 handsets on which this code does not work - because it is incorrect for that OS. Check your facts before you embarrass yourself further.

I also have 4 different WP8 handsets, with two of them running WP8.1 - although I completely fail to see the relevance of that part of your comment.

Please use plain text.