Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: I can't imagine buying a phone that won't sync...

Sage
AlanWatson

I can't imagine buying a phone that won't sync contacts, calendar directly with my PC

I own quite a few Nokia shares, so I really need Nokia's windows phones to succeed, but as a potential customer, I can't imagine that I would ever want to buy a phone that could not simply and easily sync contact, calendar and to-do data simply and directly with Outlook on my PC. Having to go through something else is horrible, troublesome and prone to error. 

Looking through the new phone specs. there are lots of other things that I would like - Skype (although I imagine that this will come soon), more storage for all my music, ability to swap batteries, flash for internet video, a BBC iplayer app, more apps in general, ability to get rid of Zune, Bing and Xbox, a good Chinese dictionary, the latest bluetooth ...

But lack of direct sync is a showstopper.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Re: I can't imagine buying a phone that won't sync contacts, calendar directly with my PC

Microsoft's phones used to have local ActiveSync directly to/with Outlook, as well as later "AirSync" or ActiveSync over-the-air directly to a Microsoft Exchange server.

Has Microsoft now removed the option of local PC-sync in Windows Phone?

In any case, I haven't seen the need for a local PC sync in the last couple of years myself; as long as the data is accessible and you can get to it, that's fine.

I need/use local connectivity only for backup and copying photos to a PC, and to copy music to the phone. Synchronizing with email, calendar & contacts happens online (WLAN if available, otherwise cellular data).

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
jakke

Re: I can't imagine buying a phone that won't sync contacts, calendar directly with my PC

Outlook contacts and calendar stored in Exchange will automatically sync to Nokia with Windows Phone as soon as you add your Outlook (Exchange) account to your phone.

If you use Outlook without Exchange, you cannot sync your calendar directly from Outlook to Nokia with Windows Phone. However, by installing Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector you can sync your Outlook to Windows Live, which will then sync to your phone when you add your Windows Live account to your phone.

How can I transfer my contacts, calendar entries and to-dos to my new Nokia with Windows Phone?

Sync Outlook to Windows Phone

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
android

[ Edited ]

@jakke

Hmm, not so elegant way of synching if one need only the book phone so one need not have to enter it in case he/she got a new phone or lost one. One need an internet access for that, & not  free. If corporate server is a Domino or Linux  not MS exchange, one needs windows live account. !   Very restrictive, its microsoft way of getting all on its clout, I supposed !

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted!

If you find it helpfull, it's not hard to click the STAR..

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
jakke

Contacts (phone book) can be transfered directly from old phone with Contacts transfer tool

Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

As a private individual what possible reason would I have for buying exchange?

I do have an msn account (as well as Gmail and others) and I do have Hotmail connector installed, but when I once started syncing hotmail contacts with those in outlook it created loads of duplicates and endless hassle. I stopped doing it and have no intention of restarting. Unless something like Nokia PC suite handles this seemlessly, I can't see myself being convinced to buy the phone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

how to nokia expect this phone to sell when it has no flash for internet videos also why has it not goy the latest bluetooth spec,i like so many other thousands use my smart phone for watching short internet videos.
Please use plain text.
Sage
nokton12

"how to nokia expect this phone to sell when it has no flash for internet videos"

same way as apple sells the iphone!:smileywink:

Nokia N9 Black
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

When people have held and used the new phones, then they should criticise, until then it is all unsupported opinion ! I've used one and they are a very good experience, however no OS is perfect for everyone, but I believe Nokia have chosen one that will have mass appeal, and that is what's needed !!

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
al_lea

IMHO, Nokia just didn't have the time/resource to release a Windows Phone compatible PC Suite.

Zune is not designed for a mobile phone - it's designed as an incapable music player. How to backup SMS, MMS, notes, or the whole phone memory? No way.

If Nokia just keeps cheating the user that all they need is Zune sync, Nokia (PC/OVI) Suite will stop upgrade. Or we could wait for around 6 ~ 12 months for the new pc suite when massive WP products get released.

What's the law of the jungle?
Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

As someone who has had to manage large numbers of IT projects, I know that Nokia and Microsoft would have had to make very many tough choices, and will have exlcuded lots of features that they would both have liked, in order to get these phones out relatively quickly.  And getting them out quickly was certainly essential.

Android and the iPhone both lacked lots of essential features when they first came out, for the same reason.

I just hope that Nokia and Microsoft keep up the pace of development and introduce many of these missing features soon. LTE support will be vital for the first US products, Skype for everyone, better bluetooth for others, more memory ...

But what I find hard to understand is that Micosoft had a syncronisation solution - the Microsoft Mobile Device Center, which was supported in Windows mobile 6.5, but is not supported in Windows mobile 7.

Why not.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

AlanWatson wrote:

But what I find hard to understand is that Micosoft had a syncronisation solution - the Microsoft Mobile Device Center, which was supported in Windows mobile 6.5, but is not supported in Windows mobile 7.

Why not.

Probably because:

AlanWatson wrote:

As someone who has had to manage large numbers of IT projects, I know that Nokia and Microsoft would have had to make very many tough choices, and will have exlcuded lots of features that they would both have liked, in order to get these phones out relatively quickly.  And getting them out quickly was certainly essential.

:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

what is the point in bringing an inadequate phone to market ?.it will just turn people against them/it.a few months delay to market an all singing all dancing phone would be a much better scenario in my mind.I wont be buying an outdated phone when i can go get one already up to speed.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

you have hit the nail on the head at last some one talking sense .i'm with you nokia should have delayed the launch and got all those lacking features on the lumia like nfc front facing camera flash snyc data bluetooth photos all of these are missing from lumia .i do have all of these on my c7 how can lumia be the future if its all ready out of date at launch.nokia you need to read some of these posts and take action.
Please use plain text.
Professor
al_lea

AlanWatson wrote:

Why not.

My two cents:

WP 7 is a complete different OS - it's designed from scratch. It uses C# to write app on a different stack of network APIs. Obviously, they don't want to bend/adapt to the old MS Mobile Device Center. 

Or they just have no time.

What's the law of the jungle?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

chukka wrote:
what is the point in bringing an inadequate phone to market ?.it will just turn people against them/it.a few months delay to market an all singing all dancing phone would be a much better scenario in my mind.I wont be buying an outdated phone when i can go get one already up to speed.

Didn't seem to hurt Apple to do so.

Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

See this article from PC world on what a pain syncing contacts is. I should add that his experience of syncing his contacts between outlook and windows live (using outlook connector) was better than mine.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/239890/windows_phone_7_day_12_syncing_my_outlook_conta...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bhwong1

Hi Jakke,

1. Contacts Transfer tool won't pair with iphone.

2. Outlook Hotmail Connector won't sync phone contacts unless the contact contain email address
Please use plain text.