Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Is 920 compatible with Apple's EarPod headset?

Contributor
AlexOdin
Accepted Solution

Is 920 compatible with Apple's EarPod headset?

I did not have any problems using earpod with HTC Titan 1.

At Microsoft's BUILD conference, Nokia gave us their 920 (great phone, btw), but it does look like 920 is compatible with EarPod:

1. Mic does not work. 920 does not recognise voice commands when earpod is plugged in

2. When I try to call anybody while earpod is plugged inm, i hear high pitched noise in the headset. I dont hear that noise when i play music, though.

any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

It's best if you're using the accessories from Nokia themselves. Nokia accessories, including headsets, are designed to be totally compatible with Nokia smartphones.
If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I'd have to go with Jack here. Some other manufacturer's accessories are not compatible with Nokia products, in the same way Apple does that with the rest of the competition.

There are seriously better headsets / earphones than the Apple EarPod and probably cheaper.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AlexOdin

I've asked Nokia support about this problem and it looks like EarPods are NOT compatible with Lumia. That sucks. EarPod is a standard headset, so it should work.Nokia advised me to buy Nokia Stereo Headset WH-208.

Any "in-ear" headsets I've looked at, that are worth considering, cost over $50. I understand it is a personal choice, but I was very happy with EarPods. It is a $30 headset and the quality is pretty impressive.

I was not able to find Nokia WH-208 on amazon or BestBuy... i guess i have to do a research to find out which headset has a good quality, cost less than $50 and actually works with Lumia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

The earpods will not work properly like most of apples headphone range ,ive tried them on several phones.
And why does it suck? Apple make apple products for apple devices not nokia devices.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AlexOdin

It sucks becase I like EarPods (sound quality, controls and etc.) :smileyhappy:

Now, i have to find another headset I like and because "qaulity" is very subjective term, it might take a few tries, which means I have to either return or send back purchased headsets before I find the one i like.

Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

I tried Earpods (On Lumia 710) and the sound is terrible compared to the Nokia Headset WH-208. What's worse is, the earpods does not fit at my ears at all! All that 3 years of developing such headset does not seem very great.

And anyway, if you have a Nokia smartphone, use Nokia's accessories and iPhone, Apple's.
If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

just for the record....aapl gets none of my money....from anyone in my household!
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

This is a Nokia forum AlexOdin, backlash against Apple is to be expected! :smileytongue:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Airbus

jimmyireland wrote:
The earpods will not work properly like most of apples headphone range ,ive tried them on several phones.
And why does it suck? Apple make apple products for apple devices not nokia devices.

It sucks because the Nokia supplied EarPods, just like the Apple supplied EarPods, are rubbish.

So I have bought Bose headphones and B&W EarPods which are superb. Unfortunately, like everything these days, they were made 'iPhone compatible' with an inline speaker which renders them useless with my Lumia920.

There was a 'converter' that I bought for my N9 which made both headsets work with that phone, including the inline speaker but I've had no luck tracking an equivalent product for the Lumia.

Anybody got any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

If you have a converter for the N9 it  should also work with the 920 as the 920 supports both AHJ and the normal Nokia headsets. This is not the case for the WP 7.5 model which would need the 2nd and 3rd ring on the jack plug inverted. ( in the TIP-R1-R2-R3 sequence)

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Most headsets today given in a sales package are substandard or below par but the one provided with nokia 920 are good.
Again your missing the point NOKIA make headphones for NOKIA not apple not samsung so if they are compatible or not is not nokias problem.

Why do you think all manufacturers make accessories and comparability lists?

In general any apple headphone i tried ,i tried them all they never work in any nokia or samsung phone correctly and ive no problem with that because its an apple product made for and apple device.

im sure adapters will become available soon .

Ive recently tried them beats headphones and they work fine,also ive two pairs of sennheisers that work fine.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Airbus

jimmyireland wrote:
Most headsets today given in a sales package are substandard or below par but the one provided with nokia 920 are good.
Again your missing the point NOKIA make headphones for NOKIA not apple not samsung so if they are compatible or not is not nokias problem.

Again, I don't think I'm missing any points; mine (purchased in Singapore) came with those white EarBud things and they are rubbish.

I think we all understand that Apple make accessories for Apple products and Nokia likewise.

jimmyireland wrote:

In general any apple headphone i tried ,i tried them all they never work in any nokia or samsung phone correctly and ive no problem with that because its an apple product made for and apple device.

But we're talking about third party manufacturers here and with Apple's dominance in the 'trendy' smartphone market many third party headphone makers have tailored their products to iPhone users.

So, if you want a decent set of headphones, with an inline Mic, this is the market that you have to select from. And you have to make them work.

in the 'big picture' this is one of Nokia's significant problems - the accessory market.  You have everybody from Louis Vuitton to Bose producing stuff specifically for the iMarket. Name one manufacturer (and I'm only talking headphones here) that has produced a product for a Nokia Lumia. So either Nokia lifts the quality of it's sound gear, sponsors manufacturers like B&W or Sennheiser to make products for them or watches its customer base wither.

I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPad mini. Yet, I have had all manner of Symbian phones, an N8, 2 N9s and a 920. But how much longer do you think I can put up with this sort of nonsense for. If Nokia had any sense, they'd be making it easy for their customers and producing & marketing their own adaptor.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Airbus

paulheu wrote:

If you have a converter for the N9 it  should also work with the 920 as the 920 supports both AHJ and the normal Nokia headsets. This is not the case for the WP 7.5 model which would need the 2nd and 3rd ring on the jack plug inverted. ( in the TIP-R1-R2-R3 sequence)

Thanks for the info' - interesting stuff.

Mine didn't work (I have two of the same adaptor); I could hear but the caller could not hear me either through the inline Mic or via the phone Mic.

This is the website

http://www.accessoryjack.com/compatible-3-5mm-nokia-to-iphone-headphone-adapter-cable-black.html

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

From the picture on the link though it seems this is just a pinout converter. iPhone uses a custom non-standard (surprise..) system for the microphone. The pinout on the headset is the same as the AHJ standard used on all Windows Phone devices.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anilB

I am able to use my Blackberry headsets with my Nokia Lumia 920 and both headphone and mic works perfect. Initially, I was going to purchase the WH208 or WH-902(as listed in this Support article) headsets but decided to give the Blackberry headset a try and amazed that it works, so I dont have to throw away my existing ones. I realize now that BB support AHJ interface.

I recommend anyone looking for wired headsets with mic for Nokia Lumia phones just get the Blackberry(3.5mm) OEM headsets(you can get these under $10), they are very well made, (remember Blackberry used to be and still makes one of best phones) and they last longer(I had them for over 2 yrs).

This is what I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370553649015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Please use plain text.
RogerHuston

The Apple EarPod is **bleep**, but the point here is that the Nokia 920 is not compatable with any of the aftermarket headsets that support that standard which there are many.  I have both the Spider True Voice and the NOC NS400 and they worked well with my HTC Titan.

I know Nokia wants people to ONLY buy their accessories, but their headsets are not as good as mine. I would prefer that they make their phone compatable with the greater standard instead of forcing people to switch over to an inferior product.

I guess it is a mentality like this that explains why Nokia's stock is where it is.

- Roger

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

Roger - The connector is industry standard. That's all.

Please use plain text.
xLankex

I have to say I've been really disappointed with this as well.  I don't see a reason for after market headsets to not work with a 920.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 920 and I've been a Windows Phone user since it came on the market.  But the fact that I can't use my Skullcandy's is absolutely ridiculous to me.  A firmware update should be able to fix this problem, and every time I see an update for anything on the device, this is the first thing I do to see if it's fixed.  PLEASE do something about this Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

[ Edited ]

There are three standards in the world

1) OMTP. This used to be the standard, and was used for years and years in Nokia phones and almost all of their competitors.

2) AHJ. This used to be just an alternative standard used by those silly Americans :smileyhappy:  but because the US is leading the smartphone world, this is essentially becoming the true standard used also by many Android phones. Many (if not all) Lumia's use this standard now.

3) Apple. Apple uses technically AHJ, so you may expect that a AHJ compatible headset should work. But as always they sometimes do "special things". Not being cynical, but if it is made for Apple it may only work with Apple. And in reverse any product not specifically made for Apple may not work, and often does not work, with Apple phones.

So don't buy any Apple product if you are not willing to use it with another Apple product.

Now before you object and state you have product X and it does work, the key is is guaranteed to work. Apple products are not guaranteed to work with anything other than Apple. Don't complain if it does not work on a non-Apple. It is the problem of that product, not the Lumia.

Now this also explains why many older Nokia headphones don't work on some newer Lumia's. I believe the 820 and 920 should be smart and support both OMTP and AHJ, but I would not be surprised if their detection mechanism may fail with some headsets.

For those interested in the differences between OMTP and AHJ:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4022

Please use plain text.