Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive bu...

Registered Member
transmat9

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

I have updated the phone twice and find that whilst watching netflix, as it is the only audio program I use regularly, I seem to launch the voice command window every minute or so and is sits there waiting for a voice prompt.  I have reproduced this many many times while watching video.  IT does not do it whilst headset is used or Bluetooth headset.  So I agree the windows button is the most likely candidate due to its close location to the speaker.......

Fix Nokia ?  I am testing it with the capacitive screen protector off.  Seems that it may be a problem. It is the one ATT pushes.  The one that can be removed and cleaned many times and does not really stick to the screen.

So sensitivity is at play here, and the screen protector you use may be at fault..

Thom B

Blue 5 Photography

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
transmat9

IT IS THE SCREEN PROTECTOR. THE Multiple use model ( black edges) design that floats on top of the keys and only clings to the sides. sorry I dont know the brand as it was suggested by the ATT sales guy. I no longer lauch voice control with it OFF. NOT software in my case.

thom
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
transmat9

remove your protective screen and try it as the screens pushed by ATT , have been know to cause the issue. especially if it is the multi use one with black edges. it does not sit on the screen but settles above the keys and screen. it vibrates and causes the key, in my case voice command, to actuate.
Good luck
Please use plain text.
marcham93

Can't be the main issue. I don't have a screen protector.

The protector might be a catalyst to the problem, but it is not the cause.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kcwallace

transmat9,

Nice thought, but I had this problem since day one.  I have never used a screen protector.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bgutmeir

no screen protector here, either
Please use plain text.
jinfluence

Screen protector could make it worse I guess but isn't the cause. My first phone had Zagg cover and it was bad. Second phone had no cover and it was same. Third phone doesn't have a cover yet but haven't seen the issue yet.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirtbound

I bought two 900's at launch (for the wife and I)...

My wife's Cyan 900 had the capacitive button problems when playing most types of Audio... Took it to AT&T store, 10 minutes later walked out with a new phone and have never had the problem since.

Please use plain text.
cgives

I have the same problem
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bgutmeir

any news at all?
Please use plain text.
adamehasacell

Can the Nokia representative(s) who was monitoring this thread please give an indication to us that this issue has not been ignored? Please just say anything, even if there is no news... It will help to know that you have not forgotten about us just to know that something is progressing on this. I don't require a solution right this second, but I do require some communication as to the progress of this investigation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kcwallace

I had to send mine into Nokia, because I waited too long to take it back to AT&T.  I just received the phone back today.  Nokia replaced it with a new phone.  the said in a emclosed letter "Our Technicians found an issue with your phone that required us to replace it"

So far the replacement phone works perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bgutmeir

great, I guess it's a hw prob
thanks for the heads up nokia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
laozx

Kcwallace can you keep us updated on how your replacement is working for you. When I first got my phone I have not experienced the capacitive touch problem until about 2 weeks after I owned the phone, now it has problems all the time. Thanks
Please use plain text.
BuddhaBlessed

I had the same problem with my Lumia 900. The buttons would not respond as they should when listening to music. It would constantly give me the task list when tapping the back button or go into voice command when hitting the Windows button. I eventually went back to the AT&T store to replace the phone, not knowing what the cause of the problem was. I was able to reproduce the problem at the store and got a replacement on the spot.

I orignally thought it had something to do with heat build up or a faulty board as it would sometimes respond after I slapped the back a few times. Now I realize it does appear to have something to do with the speaker as I am having similar problems with the brand new replacement phone I received. After reading this thread, I've found that when listening to audio via headphones, I don't have the problem. I tried it with Netflix and have the same issues. Knowing it has something to do with sound, it's now something that I can reproduce regularly even with my new phone.

Is there a possible fix or is this going to be a lost cause? I'm grateful for the $100 credit from Nokia for being an early adopter but even with that, I'd like to have a working phone and would rather go back to my working Samsung Focus and not be subjected to being a "smartphone beta tester" and being locked into the new contract when upgrading to the Lumia 900. I really hope this can work out.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

just keep exchanging it until you get a phone without the problem.  I've had my replacement phone now for over a month without an issue.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Breaker119

You only get 3 exchanges in store within your 30 day window. After that you'll have to go through the 1 year warranty with AT&T. The folks at the store told me that they would just send me a new one and I'd send back the defective. I have yet to try it b/c I'd rather not reconfigure a phone if a patch is going to be released to cover it.

Since Nokia is now being silent on the issue I'll just have to wait and see.
Please use plain text.
skaven

I ended up returning mine as I was running into weird cellular data connection issues, even post update. The first phone was a non-green dot, and the new one is a green dot Lumia 900.1 - which does not have the capacitive button issue.

But... now I have the purple tint (minor annoyance) and the camera rattle on vibrate (horribly annoying).

What a pain in the butt.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chuckb1300

Here's another one.  PLEASE HELP!! 

Please use plain text.
Msnodgrass

Yep same problem here. I'm sorry but those who are saying this isn't a deal breaker are being too nice. At least for me, any time I open a song, YouTube clip, Netflix movie, or game you name it within 2 minutes I get hit either with bing search or the tell me voice recog app. Can't even use Nokia drive without it shutting down. If it werent for the web browser I'd hardly consider mine a usable smart phone. Very annoying.
Please use plain text.