Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive bu...

RA900

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

Same issue

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jp_08

I'm also having the same problem out here and it is really awkward when I happen to be in a library and the phone starts to speak by itself.

I saw this thread and thought that finally maybe there is something I can do to fix this issue by myself.

From what I read from the comments, I am still not a 100% sure where to place the aluminium foil. can anyone out there who have tried the above method and succeeded tell me the exact place to place the foil?

Thanks a lot!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Access_02

Is it save to put an aluminium foil inside?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Vibb

[ Edited ]

Hi I messaged you.... Thanks for your time

Moderator's note: No personal details on public forum, email address removed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cheeyc

I also have this problem with my international lumia 900. I tried the aluminum technique, it work flawlessly but I have safety concern. Will it cause short circuit or affect the internal components?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gerbir21

I am experiencing the exact same issue with the 'tellme' bing/voice search activating by itself while in speakerphone node. VERY annoying especially when you're trying to listen to details of a call only to have the tellme service speaking over your caller. The search also activates by itself during game play. Example, when playing angry birds, my fingers won't even be on the screen and Bing search will.activate. I can get it to repeat every couple of rounds. Very annoying as I'm forced to restart the game after the search activates. I'm a Lumia 900 user on the Rogers network in Canada. Should this get addressed through my carrier or through Nokia Canada?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cornishpixies

Hi I just wanted to share I finally got this fixed at my Nokia Care centre (Singapore). They just replaced the mic, took them less than a day from when I left it to when I was able to pick it up. Phone works like a dream now. (Related issue: no more echo for the other party - in fact people I've called are surprised at the great sound quality). Had been struggling with this issue since October so it is annoying that it is such an easy fix for the trauma I went through every day having to yell cancel at Microsoft TellMe.

If your phone is still under warranty try and get them to change the mic and this issue will be resolved!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Davestrada

I did this:

All you need is :
Foil Paper (1 thin sheet cut to block just the capacitive buttons )
Paper Clip (to remove sim and screen lock rod)
Butter knife (to pry open right side of screen)

- I didnt even fully remove the screen, I opened it just enough to slide in foil paper.

Opened it following this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmNUl9GhGzo&playnext=1&list=PLcPP9FyDVFIj5OLLOFOiOPYouTm9bcheV&featur...

and it seems to be working for me now, let me know if it works for you too

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO WHOEVER DID THAT POST. 

I really hope it keeps working for the following months :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Davestrada

By the way it only took 10 or less minutes to make it :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
sgarg

I have bought an "unlocked AT & TNOKIA LUMIA 900" from USA now I am in india and facing some problem in capacitive buttons (search, back and windows are not working). Please let me know from where I can g
et support on these issue.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Watch the video linked in Message 248 in this thread. Your other option is to send it back to the US for servicing under warranty or take it to a Nokia care facility in your country and pay for the repair.

Please use plain text.
RA900

Send mine for repair. the send me a replacement . The replacement is also showing the same symptoms.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dilanthaonline

cant play a game properly, cant browse the web, cant text a friend properly, even a thumb moved over the capacitive buttons unwanted screens and popups coming, biggest pain is, while playing a game.. It switches to multiple screen mode, and that time wasting speech recognition. After speech reg comes its so hard to quit... lumia 900 with windows is almost like buying a headache for 500$.
~ Blessed by Music ~
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
capacity

I've had my Nokia for a few months now and until recently I've had absolutely no problems with it. For some reason my capacitive windows, back and search buttons were very sensitive then they completely stopped working. I took it in to be checked out and they told me it was probably water damage but i haven't had it any where near water and its not sweat.  Every once in a while the buttons will light up again but it keeps going to the bing search or the voice search thing will pop up on the screen which i can't get out of since the buttons aren't working..does anyone have this problem?  I'm hoping this is just temporary and the buttons will start working again..

Please use plain text.
flyingdreamz

[ Edited ]

I have 4 lumia 900s I only had one that had this issue, the foil under the screen fixed it. I suggest putting it in something, I happen to have some anti static bags that fit just perfitctly under the button row. the Lumia in question is the oldest one. I assume nokia fixed this when the found out about it in later phones.

now if only i could unlock the bootload to install unlocked Roms.... a man can dream.

Thanks, this thread helped alot.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
3plshah

Hi,

I have got Nolkia Lumia 900 from US & using it in India. The Bing comes automatically & the Voice/Speak option as well. At times becomes extremly difficult to move out of Bing or speak. Kindly give some immediate solution. 

Waiting for reply....

3PL.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Did you even bother reading the thread before posting ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neuralzone

I just followed the above mentioned video to the point of popping the screen open, then inserted a small piece of reynolds "pan lining paper" at the bottom of the phone (paper side up towards screen, under the touch buttons, then followed the end of the video to reassemble.  The pan lining paper is aluminum foil with paper bonded to one side.  I chose it so that the paper side could be up towards the back of the screen where there is some circuitry.  The piece is the width of the screen (~2 inches) and about 1.5 inches tall.   IT'S LIKE A NEW PHONE NOW!  Just do it.  :-)

Please use plain text.
Xisto

Fixed mine (message #212) by inserting a piece of aluminum foil, just as described above.

Special thanks to: 

- Blademax (for presenting the root cause in #217),

- Davestrada (for the solution routine in #248), and the

- LE55ONS guy behind the disassembly video in Youtube.

That's all the info you need. 

I used a car GPS holder suction cup to remove the screen, aided by a plastic knife. 

Shame on Nokia for ducking this issue. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ssultan1

Hello,

Can you tell me where the capactitive buttons are? Sorry I'm not tech savy. It took me way too long to even get the screen to open but now I am not sure where the capactive buttons or the speaker magnet is. Do you have a picture? Is it on the top or bottom? :confused:

CRFale wrote:
Currently I don't believe that anyone that has sent their phone in for repairs or replacement has had the issue with the touch buttons fixed. A few of the members of this forum have determined a fix for the issue but from what I have read Nokia has yet to impliment something similar to fix the issue so that means people are still having the issue when they get their phones back or a new phone.

Basically, what causes the issue is that there is interference from the speaker magnet that causes the buttons to be unresponsive or act on their own. This issue can be fixed very simply by opening up the phone and placing something that will shield the button area from the magnetic interference (ie; tin foil).

I used to have the issue everytime I watched a video, played a game or even just surfing online. I applied this fix last night an have not had the issue once since then and I watched a couple hours of video, sat through an hour long conference call which I also sent texts during, and played online.

Having this problem fixed makes it feel like a new phone and so much more responsive! I will give it a few more days of testing and then I will be putting together a video, an instructable and an email into Nokia support so hopefully everyone can get this issue fixed!

If you have any questions about this please feel free to message me!

Please use plain text.