Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive button...

Advisor
purpletatoe

Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

[ Edited ]

I have had the lumia 900 for 3 or 4 days now and for the most part its a great phone!  However randomly the capacitive windows, back, and search buttons are extremely sensitive & then followed by insensitivity.

Most of my problems involve the wp7 voice command prompt -which requires a hold of the windows button.  I get this prompt sporadically without holding the windows button and when I am touching nowhere near the capacitive buttons.  I see this especially in apps (such as Max & the magic paintbrush, also in wp7 maps).  Not sure if this is a phone issue or an app issue.  After the prompt comes up, about 80% of the time the capacitive buttons are extremely insensitive and I have to repeatedly tap the back or windows button area to get out of the prompt.... sometimes it seems like I have to tap way off of the back or windows button to get out of it (on the display).

Anyone else have this problem?  or do I have a defective unit? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

[ Edited ]

It seems to happen when I am holding/applying pressure to the side of the phone with the windows button (not to the button, but the 'bottom' of the phone where there are speaker holes.  It is not 100% reproducible, but I can occassionally get it to do what I described before when holding it like this, even on the start page.  I may also need to be applying slight pressure on the opposite side of the phone, or to the display glass too.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

[ Edited ]

ok, now it seems like I am able to reproduce it consistently.  If I go into the music player and play a song (maybe anytime sound is coming out of the speakers), the problem presents itself.. if not immediately, very soon after (going into another app, going to the start screen etc).  Sometimes it is just the back button that behaves as if being held down with only a quick tap; other times its the windows button (ie quick ta on back -> multitask history, windows -> voice control).  Music must be playing & coming out of the speakers, there is no problem when headphones are attached.

Can anyone else reproduce this, or do I have a defective unit?

I do not want to go through the trouble of exchanging the phone, if it is common.

btw, this happened before and after the 4/13/12 software update.

Please use plain text.
Jb20

The same issue happens with my Black Lumina 900. It has to be software related. When I have my ear phones plugged in the back button and he window buttons work perfectly. I was thinking of heading to a store today to see if the units in the stores do it as well.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

Please let me know if the ones in store also do it... Or how easy it is for you to exchange it
Please use plain text.
Jb20

Will do. The sales rep I bought the phone from said that there is a back order on the device and he would contact me when a new shipment would come in.. I'm still going to stop by a store and see . I'll let you knows
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jeremym87

I've been having the same issue. I first noticed it playing music, and now it happens if I'm on a call and tap the windows button to check email or something while on call.

I think it is software related like the CPU or memory might be topping out. I dunno.

This is my second lumia 900, I didn't notice this on the first one, and I was hoping after yesterdays update things would have got better.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jeremym87

I can confirm that if I play music or take a call via a headset the buttons perform like they should.

Could this be a hardware issue where the magnet of the speaker is interfering with the touch of the buttons?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

Interesting, in calls the soft buttons work for me... Even without a headset. However if i turn on speakerphone I get a similar problem, except that only the back button is affected, whereas the windows key functions normally. Maybe the issue is still present but the call software prevents voice commands from opening.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

I can also reproduce it while playing system sounds thru the speaker.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mattatat

I have the exact same problem you describe.  When sound coming out speakers, either through music player or through MLB At bat (have not tested other apps), tapping windows button opens the stupid microsoft siri equivalent.  100% repeatable and incredibly frustrating.  Hope this is a software issue that they can fix soon, because I do not want to spend an afternoon or more replacing my phone.  Will use headphones and pretend my phone does not have speakers for now.

Please use plain text.
Jb20

So I stop into a store and tested the touch capacitive buttons on the display devices. They worked flawlessly. I was fortunate that they had a black verision in stock and exchanged my device. It came with a green dot on the box along with the updated software on the device. Before I left the store I verified that the capacitive buttons were working while playing music on the Zune player.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

thanks jb20!  blegh... I was really hoping it was a software bug.  I guess I'll try to exchange mine as well.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
screwdriver

Is it really ok on the instore phones, or is it because of things that are running on your own phone and in the background?? I'm not convinced it is hardware or software really yet.

Please use plain text.
Jb20

Not 1 hiccup today with the capacitive buttons. Whether it be software or hardware releated there is something wrong when a number of people are having issues. I'm enjoying the windows experience. I always like Nokia devices. I just like everyone else on the forums would like a device that works! Every phone release as there issues and yes that includes IPhone . We are are just goings through the growing pains of a new release.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

I agree.  It is a great experience when I do not have that problem (ie when I have my headphones in).  I'm in contact with amazon now to try to get an exchange.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BulletTrain

I have the exact same issues, especially when playing games, which is MADDENING! I'm going to the AT&T store to figure it out. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Breaker119

Just got my second 900 from the store and this one has the same problem as the one I just exchanged. While playing games...even with volume muted...random back, search, and tellme activation. All flawless with headphones in though. I guess I'll have to try for round three unless another update is released in the next few days
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking into this and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
purpletatoe

I just got my replacement phone from amazon wireless and so far the problem is not present in this lumia 900.  I tried all of my old tricks to get the problem to surface, but to no avail!  I'm hoping this one is good.

I temporarily have the old phone, which had the problem, and I did a full reset on it.  On the reset old phone (with only default apps), the problem at first seemed to be gone, but then after playing some system sounds and then going into IE and watching a youtube video the problem came back...  Previously I would have the problem 100% of the time whenever a sound played (even system sounds, under settings), after the full reset to factory settings it is 100% reproducible only when playing a youtube video (I no longer have songs on it bc of the reset).  However, playing system sounds only lead to the problem sporadically... which is weird.  Still, 100% of the time playing system sounds, the windows & back keys are unresponsive, and then only sporadically does the voice prompt or full history view come up.  I did a 3rd system reset and the problem then immediately presented itself when I played a youtube clip; but inconsistently when playing system sounds as before.

that is all.

Please use plain text.