Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive button...

Contributor
shobiz

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

Well I switched mine out.  I have none of these problems anymore.  I suggest you guys do the same before your 30 days are up.  Although,I now have the purple tint problem.  That's small compared to this issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smahend2

I switched my phone out, and like shobiz I have the purplish tint problem.  Capacative buttons are working, so I'll deal with the purplish tint problem.  AT&T called their Nokia rep and they expect to release a software update by May 14th to fix the purple tint problem.  AT&T extended the 30 day window past the May 14th deadline for me, in case the software doesn't fix the purple haze problem.  I believe that update will aslo address the camera button not waking the phone up that some people have experienced.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Rankedu

PM Sent.

Please fix this... this is a MUCH worse issue than the purple screen issue.
Please use plain text.
guitarob

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problems with the capacitive buttons.  This is my THIRD Lumia 900 and AT&T will not give me another phone.  Oddly this is the WORST Lumia that I've had.  The first one was perfect, but I used the data glitch option to switch it out to a white one before I was even aware that the phones had issues.  BIG mistake.  I learned about the problems rather quickly.  My first white one only suffered the vibration rattle issue, I exchanged it and now this phone suffers the vibration rattle AND the capacitive button issues.

I'm thinking it's time to try an HTC Titan II.  I've about had it with Nokia.  I used to absolutely love Nokia, and I was really excited to get my hands on the 900.  I'm ready to toss it out of a window now.  I've completely had it.  I'm not about to send this back for warranty and go without a phone for however long it takes for them to send me a new one.  This is just absolutely ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bgutmeir

[ Edited ]

this is a huge issue for me, if i dont hear back in the next 48 hours im going to have to return the phone and cancel my plan with AT&T (this phone is the only reason i chose them, service is lackluster). ive noticed that even after typing a text message, the sound of the keyboard ticking through the speaker will cause the capacitive buttons to act up. im not willing to wait until my 30 day period is up without knowing if this is hardware or software.

Please use plain text.
adamehasacell

me too fwiw have same capacitive button problem

Being a Software Engineer myself I was so relieved to find out others were having the same problem with their Lumia 900s... This meant A) I wasn't crazy and B) I wouldn't have to figure out how to articulate such a difficult issue to describe... I do hope it's not a hardware problem, but of course it might be. How would we go about restoring our phones after all the work we've put in to get these beauties just right!? I will Pm my info too. Don't give up on us folks! Thanks
Please use plain text.
skaven

I registered to give my feedback that I also suffer from the capacitive buttons malfunctioning.

Hopefully we will hear if this is a hardware or software issue soon. I have a little under 2 weeks to exchange my phone. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
adamehasacell

I too have had this problem and I didn't know how to articulate it! I have sent you a PM with my info too. Is there any update on the cause or solution?  I do hope it can be fixed with a software or firmware update to save us all the trouble of reloading everything on a new phone...  As a software engineer myself I know how complex these machines are and how tight your deadlines were to release it, but do you have any info to share with us as to the investigation? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dastunta

Can Nokia please confirm if these issues can be fixed with a firmware update?

Also, is there an ETA for the fixes? The return period is arriving quickly and I need to decide!

Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bgutmeir

well, my 30 day period is up. if this isnt just a software bug im not going to be happy.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Speakerboxxer

I am having the same issues with my lumia as well.. When I hit the back button while the speaker is on it acts like a long press even though I barely tapped it. And sometimes the search screen will randomly pop up when im watching a movie. I noticed that a lot of people were worried that you can only return the phone within the 30 day window.. well I dunno if things have changed at at&t but doesn't the lumia come with a manufacturers 1yr warranty. I remember my Samsung Focus had an issue with the speaker not working, only the speakerphone would work. And I Just took it to a main at&t store to show them what was going on they verified the problem and gave me a new phone. They said that since it was still under the manufacturers warranty then it could be swapped out if it was exhibiting issues not related to abuse or water damage. So i am assuming that if it is a hardware issue with the lumia 900's then we technically have a year to get it swapped out, not 30 days.. Please correct me if i'm wrong because i too am still within the 30 day window and I wouldn't want to miss out on swapping it out

Please use plain text.
skaven

There is a 1 yr Warranty, but I've never had to return a phone outside of the 30 day "exchange" period through AT&T.

I would guess it depends on the service at your local branch, but worst case I assume one could always go through Nokia directly for a warranty claim.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your reports and feedback which have all been forwarded. As soon as any further information can be shared I will let you know here.

Thanks for your patience!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nl900user

I am having same issue, each day it is getting worst, I don't even have to touch my Phone and it acts like I started the voice Command, or if I try hitting any of the buttons it will not do anything.  I am ready to through this phone accross the room.  Please let us know soon, I have a little more then 10 days left before my 30 days are up, if you don't have a fix in plase by then I will have now choice but to return the phone and go with a different manufacture, I prefer not to go that route, but by not having a fix by then you will force a lot of people to go that route.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LordGreylock

I am also having these issues. It seems to happen most often while I am on a call and it's on speakerphone. The phone will go into the multitask mode as if I'm holding the back button and it also goes into voice recognition mode as well it has happened while the phone was sitting on my desk, I wasn't even touching it.

I have noticed it on other occasions but it mainly happens while on speakerphone. Very annoying.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hamlet611

The worst part is that the issue is not always replicable for its randomization. I had to return mine and incurred a $35 restocking fee then repurchase another one. SUCKS. Hope that Nokia will not rescind the $100 credit since the first product was returned!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bgutmeir

an update was announced for the purple tint problem, hopefully a fix for this will be included?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dastunta

Since I had just a couple of days left, I returned my 900 and got a new one. I too hope I don't lose out on the $100 rebate. 

I really hope this new unit has none of these issues. It is such a pain to set everything all up again - email, apps etc. 

Please use plain text.
daviddlt

Just go to Nokia care twitter and let them know, they asked me to send mine in for exchange, even gave me a color choice
Please use plain text.
daviddlt

I've been talking to Nokia care on twitter and are unaware of the issue. They are going to analyze the problem when they get my device, was told if it continued **bleep** the repair they would set up exchange for a new one. Maybe we should all head over to the twitter account and bring it up...so far I think I'm the only one.
Please use plain text.