Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

LUMIA needs an FM Transmitter amongst other things

Registered Member
mjays

LUMIA needs an FM Transmitter amongst other things

I'm quite excited about the new Lumia, but alas I won't be giving up my N8 until Nokia release a Lumia phone with an FM Transmitter.

It allows me to play music in any car I go in and any radio that I happen to be near without any cables or addon gadgets.

One thing is for sure, I will always use Nokia, I can't stand apple products. Too restricted and too controlled.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
podgerodge

Re: LUMIA needs an FM Transmitter amongst other things

Agree.

Bringing out the Lumia's without Fm transmitter is bizarre.

It means I have to keep my N8 for now instead of upgrading.  Like you I want a Nokia but I ain't purchasing until a phone comes along with the features Nokia previously offered me.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

Gonna gave to disagree on this one. FM is a dying technology, Bluetooth A2DP does the job better.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MvM1988

No! FM is still much better as every old school radia as well as the new ones can play it. my car is quiet new but the radio doesn't have Bluetooth....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MvM1988

But same situation. everyone I know right now just keeps his nokia because of the music advantage of having an FM transmitter...

@NOKIA: Please don't be so stupid to give up on one of your very rare USPs!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

RussU wrote:

Gonna gave to disagree on this one. FM is a dying technology, Bluetooth A2DP does the job better.

I Agree with this, I had the N900 and N97 both with FM transmitters

It was very hard to find a Frequency that was empty. even some of those had bleedover from adjacent stations

And even after I'd found a suitable Frequency, Driving up the road changed that as I started picking up local radio stations again. The FM Broadcast band is getting too crowded to make this a useful option

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
podgeandrodge

Well some people will want it - 3 on here and some people won't - 2 on here.  That's the nature of features.

But if (and it's only hypothetical) the messages on here were a percentage representative of "all potential purchasers of a Lumia 800" then Nokia have lost a lot of sales over leaving out 1 feature.

Whatever the overall percentage that will not purchase a Lumia without a FM transmitter - Nokia will certainly sell less Lumia's without it.  That's a fact.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

Like my N8 FM transmitter, but I'm also used to several years of plugging my phone in directly via a jack. So I can survive the Lumia not havng it.

Anyway it'll be a constant transition for us all.....

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/03/16/only-mobiles-can-keep-us-moving-says-ford/?cid=ms_converse...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tzaq93

I would love to have an new lumia 800 but I can't give up the FM Transmitter and the Sleeping Screen of my Nokia C7. My next phone will be 100% Nokia 808. I don't want to buy a new phone that has less features ( + no microSD, no Mass Storage connection) :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

....Or until you buy a car that supports Bluetooth :smileyhappy:

As more cars support Bluetooth Intergration, FM Transitters are becoming a dying technology....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Infms

Agreed! My kitchen radio doesn't have a Bluetooth receiver or AUX in. FM receivers are ubiquitous. It's that simple :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Actually it is Microsoft which is keeping the FM transmission away. windows phone 8 is already here and it still doesn't supports FM functionality..
To what i know, hardware wise, new Lumia's have the necessary hardware its just software which doesn't support it.
Please use plain text.