Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lets accept the truth.

Advisor
Tonkerdog
Accepted Solution

Lets accept the truth.

I foolishly sold my Iphone 4 for the Nokia 800, as i was quite prepared to Nokia and Windows a chance. I think the time has come to just accept that campared to the competition and Apple are only a part of it now, this phone is more than just a rough diamond thats work in progress. It's a disaster.

Even after the latest software update, things appear to be now worse than ever. I wanted a phone to phone people, and now i can't turn the thing on. Then i can't stop a call, and it then decides to shut itself down. It's reception isn't as much of an improvement as i imagined.

When i go out i like to listen to music. This device is the worst music player i have ever owned, since my first Sony Walkman in the early 80's. I still have it and it sounds better! It's 2012 for gods sake and MP3's have been around for nearly 10 years. I now carry my phone but listen to my boys Itouch! The Sat Nav has to have a data link to check for addresses when you say put in a post code. When i was lost the other day in Northumberland in the middle of  bloody nowhere(no reception), guess what?

I like its cosmetic appearance as does everyone i show it to. They love the tiles etc, but don't understand why all my emails aren't in one block. The Iphone was doing this nearly 4 years ago. 

Poor stability, dreadful sound, battery issues! Please somebody give me a good reason not to just ditch this phone and revert back to an Iphone. Lets be honest, it just doesn't make sense as we don' know how long all these issues will continue. They should have been resolved 6 months ago before it went on sale.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
VoodooKing

Tonkerdog wrote:

I foolishly sold my Iphone 4 for the Nokia 800, as i was quite prepared to Nokia and Windows a chance. I think the time has come to just accept that campared to the competition and Apple are only a part of it now, this phone is more than just a rough diamond thats work in progress. It's a disaster.

Even after the latest software update, things appear to be now worse than ever. I wanted a phone to phone people, and now i can't turn the thing on. Then i can't stop a call, and it then decides to shut itself down. It's reception isn't as much of an improvement as i imagined.

When i go out i like to listen to music. This device is the worst music player i have ever owned, since my first Sony Walkman in the early 80's. I still have it and it sounds better! It's 2012 for gods sake and MP3's have been around for nearly 10 years. I now carry my phone but listen to my boys Itouch! The Sat Nav has to have a data link to check for addresses when you say put in a post code. When i was lost the other day in Northumberland in the middle of  bloody nowhere(no reception), guess what?

I like its cosmetic appearance as does everyone i show it to. They love the tiles etc, but don't understand why all my emails aren't in one block. The Iphone was doing this nearly 4 years ago. 

Poor stability, dreadful sound, battery issues! Please somebody give me a good reason not to just ditch this phone and revert back to an Iphone. Lets be honest, it just doesn't make sense as we don' know how long all these issues will continue. They should have been resolved 6 months ago before it went on sale.

There are many other WP7 phones from other manufacturers. Please return your phone, get a refund and get a HTC Titan or a Samsung Focus S if you're in the states. If you're not, I'd recommend a Samsung Omnia W.

All 3 are great phones and running smoothly on WP7 Mango. I have to agree with you that Nokia has a lot of work ahead of them to fix these issues with their Lumia 800.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

1) You can use the Linked inboxes features to collate all your emails into one inbox and one tiles. It's a better feature than on iPhone (which just gives you one universal inbox) because if you have multiple email accounts, you can choose which to link and which not to so you can have any combination from all separate inboxes, all in one inbox and anything in between.

I have two personal email accounts I've linked and one work one that I keep separate.

2) Fully offline navigation is coming to the Lumia 800, Nokia's symbian phones have it already. The Lumia only needs data for the initial routing then it can be fully offline and just relying on the GPS. iPhone has nothing like it unless you pay £60 for the TomTom app. Android only has Google Maps Navigation which needs data all the time to download additional map data and routing too. At least on the Nokia you can download whole country maps to your phone.

3) Definitely try other Windows Phones. I had a great experience with my HTC HD7 previously. I recommend trying the HTC Titan if you like big phones or the Samsung Omnia W if you like smaller phones.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tonkerdog

I shall try linking the emails so thank you for that. The App i used for navigation on my Iphone was Ndrive and cost £10. It worked everywhere without a connection. Handy if your in the middle of nowhere and lost!

Please don't get me wrong i still am so hopeful this device works eventually, but i'm not asking for some ground breaking technology to mature. I have just been out shopping and didn't even bother toaking my mobile as i wanted to listen to music. I walked around with an Itouch in a Crazy Birds cover(i'm 42)

The problem before us all though is that this board is packed with problems after the latest "improvement" software upgrade. I'm aware people don't usually bother posting alot if things work as they should, but i would expect some of that at least on these boards.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

You are right, I am disappointed that this Nokia Lumia hasn't been perfect for me either especially after having had pretty much perfect experiences for a year on my HTC windows phone.

Thanks for the tip about NDrive, looks great value for what it is - will recommend it to my Android-toting friends. To be honest, I'm quite surprised that Nokia Drive hasn't had a major update yet. They have promised to get it up to the Symbian standard of Nokia Maps, hopefully we can see some major improvements soon.

If you route journey in Nokia Drive when you have signal, e.g. before you set off, you should definitely be able to continue with just GPS and not need mobile data signal.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GeoffN

I think the linked inboxes and the people hub, even the Me hub, are all much slicker than anything I've seen on iPhone. The lack of Skype integration and the annoying single volume control for ringer and music are my major gripes. Also bear in mind, as you imply, of the 1m plus Lumias sold, how many result in comments here? I'd say it was way to early to think of ditching this great phone just yet.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Can you not get Copilot for Windows yet? It's very good, doesn't require data (unless you want traffic, weather etc) and only cost £20 for the UK. I'm guessing same amount for other maps.

Worth a look for amongst the apps.
Please use plain text.
Sage
N8one

I have to say, i really do feel sorry for all the people who have faulty units. To be fair, they are not that common, but most of the people that visit the forums here are people that are having issues (hence the "support" part of the forums).

As for a reason not to go back to an iphone? I can honestly say, i find using other platfoms now tedius. I have been spoiled by WP7 and its social integration, smoothness and speed. Using an android or iphone now feels like a step back. 

I know WP7 has some issues, So do other phones. I have seen countless iphones with faults, and as for HTC repair service- its non existant. 

I might also add Nokia designed, manufactured and released the Lumia incredibly fast, even by todays market standards. 

So, Lets accept the truth: Windows have created the most innovative software platform to date, its slick and responsive and creates an amazingly intuative social hub. 

On top of this, Nokia have designed a stunning looking handset that feels good and has some cracking top end tools. 

Let me ask this:

What does Iphone give that you cant get on the Nokia Lumia? (going to exclude video calls on this, few people ever use this).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shivanig55

I just recently bought lumia 800 because

A. Its beautiful

B. Its fast

C. It promised experience of a whole new level

D. Buying anything other than Nokia is beyond me, I am loyal to this brand and it has earned this status at least in my eyes

But apart from the speed and obvious beauty the phone is quite a disappointment ... I was using n8 before this and I must point out that it was better and far more advanced in quite a lot of ways.

A. I did not have to connect the phone to ovi pc suite for evey single thing. Software downloads were straight from the phone and to the phone with no bothersome intermediary.

B. I could download songs and software straight from sites opened on the phone browser to the phone itself. IV been trying to download the amazing everyday India ringtone from the phones internet explorer but there is no option to save the file.

C. Voice commands were better and did not require connecting to the internet. For lumia however it seems nothing will work unless you have continous access to internet or data services which eats up all the battery by the way...

D. Where is the alphanumeric keypad???? I loved my alphanumeric keypad...

In a world that changes its preferences with a snap of a finger how do you expect a person to be loyal to you... You are reliable... But are you? Or was partnering with windows a disaster rather than a boon?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
d3kst3r

To be fair, they are not that common.

- Got my second replacement, it's as faulty as the first.

I find using other platfoms now tedius.

- I find using this phone more tedious, the basic functions aren't stable for this phone. 

What does Iphone give that you cant get on the Nokia Lumia? 

- Stability with the basic phone functions.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

shivanig55, I couldn't have put that any better myself.
I want my N8 back.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

N8 ! I'd be happy to have my E72 .Actually I still do, it's being used to do all the things the Lumia can't. Lumia is beautiful and I love the feel and look of it and the battery issue has been resolved but so much missing.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rasarchie

Try the N9 if you can get one it is a very nice device
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

Re: Lets accept the truth - in the end there will be only one digital company - Apple.

I did not have too many trouble with my Lumia but I already wrote in this forum about the "uncertainty" of performance, the weird choices and limitations (eg we must use Windows Live and cant have our own info to ourselves - not necessarily a big issue, but it's a no-go to sync your Outlook.

The big iFruit can afford to ignore people's needs and requests cos of the blind following of its worshippers and the media AND because on the basic tasks it works faultlessly AND everyone knows that if you need any application, the iT WILL have it. 

And now we hear consistent complaints that the new update is extremely buggy, it will only lend more ammunition to the iBrigade to claim that "resistance is futile".

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
esanker

What do you expect?  Windows is new to Nokia.  It will probably take them a year to iron out the kinks.  I'm pretty sure everything can be fixed with a software update.  Just be prepared to wait.

When I got my N8, I had a hard time using it.  Only until I updated it to Anna was I happy with it.  Anna was released almost a year after the phone was released.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Kinks in this amount is simply not accaptable. And I thought the whole point of it was so it was a very solid, standard platform to use?

I keep hearing that its because of that which is why theres limited Bluetooth etc. You cant have it both ways. Have other vendors had this much trouble?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
esanker

LOL!

From what I understand Lumia 800 was rushed so Nokia have a WP7 product out before the end of 2011.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

esanker wrote:

From what I understand Lumia 800 was rushed so Nokia have a WP7 product out before the end of 2011.

Nokia was desperate for that to happen, and succeeded (except that they missed the actual Christmas sales season; in order to make that, the devices would have to have made it to stores latest in October, with every retailer/operator knowing for sure that they'd have them then in August or latest in September for their year-end campaigns).

Anyway, to get something out by the end of 2011 is why the the first Lumia models are based on someone else's existing hardware design, and are also manufactured by a contract manufacturer. Nokia concentrated on designing the covers, packaging, a couple of Nokia-specific apps to preinstall on it, and marketing/advertising.

In the process, I bet also many things Nokia would have wanted in their first WP models were cut (postponed to future models).

If Nokia had started the development "from scratch" on its own, the device wouldn't be out yet.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

"Let's accept the truth" - it may well be your truth, but it certainly doesn't reflect the truth of my experience with my Lumia 800.

"Poor stability, dreadful sound, battery issues" - with the exception of the last (my phone lasts 24hrs between charges), I can't say that I recognise these descriptions of my phone. And since the update released last week, the battery life between charging has certainly improved.

Also, as has been pointed out, there is an update expected from Nokia to provide true off-line GPS.

You may have a lemon. Get it replaced first with another unit and give Nokia another chance.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shivanig55

the only problem with n9 is that it is a one of its kind device... nokia will not generate any other meego devices... its kind of like hitting a dead end! :/
Please use plain text.