Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Live Tiles no longer updating after firmware u...

Contributor
eegorr

Live Tiles no longer updating after firmware update

The live tiles on my Lumia 920 no longer update automatically. If I open the app, they update fine. For example, Battery Sense, Weather Channel, and several news apps - none of them update automatically. I went 4 days without opening the Weather Channel app and the tile never updated by itself! The Lock Screen (Battery Sense) does not update, either.

This appears to be linked to the 1308 firmware update, and it was not fixed by the 1314 update.

What is Windows Phone without Live Tiles?

I've tried blocking and re-starting background processes, re-pinning tiles, and even re-installing some apps with no luck. It seems to be broken at the system level, and the timing of the problem points to the first update, 1308.

Please help!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
eegorr

Re: Live Tiles no longer updating after firmware update

I see my post has already been moved somewhere else (I can't tell where) but no reply!

I came back to add that system tiles (email, calls, market) update fine - I am only having trouble with pinned live tiles.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Try reinstalling the apps in question

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

eegorr - Just 1 application common between us and thats the Battery Sense. Can confirm that its  Live tile is working perfectly fine on my Nokia Lumia 920 with 1308.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eegorr

My wife's Lumia 920 is working, too - mine is not. Nokia broke my phone. I've already re-installed the involved apps - I'm not going to jump through hoops to get it working again because I don't have that kind of time to waste. Hopefully, the upcoming Windows update will fix my problem.

Meanwhile, I can't recommend Nokia - I was a big supporter but no longer. I had an HTC Surround for more than two years and it never had this kind of issue. I gave Nokia feedback a ZERO rating and got a response suggesting that I post here here in the forum and got no response from Nokia support!

This company deserves to go out of business.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

While I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with the phone as such, I like your positive outlook on life.

System apps work fine and you blame apparent issues with apps Nokia has nothing to do with nor any influence over on your phone which as mentioned earlier has no issue with the apps it comes with..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eegorr

[ Edited ]

Really? Nokia has no influence? Who issued a firmware update, then had to issue another one within a week or two to fix what they had screwed up?

This is not an issue with a single app or even two of them - none of my apps are updating! It is the OS that triggers live tile updates, and a firmware update could easily cause my problem.

I haven't installed any new apps recently. The only thing I have done to this phone is apply two officially sanctioned OTA firmware updates.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove parts of the message deemed to be offensive to other users of the forum. Flaming is not permitted in the forum.

Please use plain text.
VR46

Same problem here (Unlocked Vod_DE L920). My phone is broken bad after the update. None of my live tiles update unless I open the app (or occasionally update just once after turning on WI FI) and app notifications are mostly broken. i.e. Newsspot, WP Central, AAWP.

Tried everything to fix. Soft resets, unpinning and repinning tiles, reinstalling apps. Nothing works and I'm not keen on a hard reset.

Is anyone at Nokia addressing this problem with 1308 outside of the US / Canada...........?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PrathapR

I am also faceing the same issue. tried everything.. nothing seems to be working.

I am from India with NL920 on 1308 update.

Please help.. WP phone without Live Tile sucks :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cweagan63

I, too have been having this issue. Everything I've read suggests that the only solution is a hard reset. I can't believe that after owning and personalizing my phone for over 6 months, I've got to wipe it clean just to fix a problem Nokia has caused. Will I lose all of my contact info? Profile pics? Ringtones and and all app settings?

Not something I want to do. Plus the fact that lots of users are bricking their phones trying to solve this same problem. 

A Windows Phone without live tiles is useless to me. I hope I get a response soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abrabr

Same issue here, with 1308 on an EE UK device. I'm  not sure if it was 1308 that triggered it or one of the other updates such as "extras+info".

Please use plain text.
VR46

Well.........I am back with some good news for me at least. This is really very very strange but after one and a half weeks of no live tiles and broken notifications on my phone (and me having given up on the whole sorry affair) it's now back to 'normal'. i.e. live tiles and notifications mostly working. We all know WP8 has its bugs in this area (and some apps) and is not 100% reliable.

But I did nothing really to fix it despite having tried everything previously. Slowly my tiles, kind of one by one, and then notifications started working. I had read somewhere else on the internet that another sufferer was told by the WP help team just to wait three days. They too were sceptical but reported that actually their phone also had started to work.

Solution is maybe patience.............:smileyhappy:

Hope your phones start to work as they should soon!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Romaink

I have the same issue after the latest update. I've tried everything except the hard reset. I can't bring myself to undo all my settings and tile arrangements.

Nokia, please address this issue!

A tool to repair live tiles in Windows Phone would be great. The phone feels broken without live tiles and an updated lock screen.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Romaink

Btw, I have the ATT branded L920 in the US and I've updated to 1314.
Please use plain text.
VR46

ok..........my luck ran out after 3 days. My phone's not so smart again. Everything that requires a background agent is dead again............live tiles, lock screen, everything. Do we really have to wait for GDR2?

Please use plain text.
mcheiron

I have the same problem with the newest firmware on AT&T with my 920. While system apps update their live tiles (email, phone), 3rd party apps don't any more (Weather.com, battery programs, news programs). I did uninstall and reinstall them all, tried soft resets, turning background tasks on and off and on. All that several times in different orders, but nothing worked. The live tiles only update after the program itself is opened by me.

Help and a solution would be great.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EmKoo

Same here as well. 3rd party app live tiles won't update even if I start those by myself. I have done that so called solution (unpin, repin...so on) couple of times but nothing seemed to help. Now I am so frustrated that I just wait that Nokia/MS will solve the problem!!! Ver. 1308 Finland.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bsd107

[ Edited ]

I have been having this same issue with my ATT 920 for approximately a month - all of a sudden ALL 3rd Party Live Tiles and Lock Screen stopped unpdating unless I open each individual app.

In desperation, I decided to do a full reset of my 920 to try and fix it.  Then the phone got stuck for 8 hours on the Gears screen.  I had to use an old firmware backup and re-flash the phone - if I hadn't already downloaded that (Nokia no longer allows downloading these) I would have had to send the phone back to ATT for replacement.  Then everything restored.  I wasted an entire weekend day fighting this.  Then it took a couple of days for all the apps to update back to latest versions (rediculous - why don't the updated version install the first time!).  The OS then had to go through a series of updates to eventually reach the latest ATT version - this took about 5 OS update cycles.

This fixed my 3rd Party Live Tile updates for about 5 days.  Then they all stopped working again.

This continual, ongoing issue makes WP8 useless for me.  When Live Tiles don't update, it's really a crippled OS, as so much of the functionality depends on it.  When Live Tiles don't work (combined with the fact that WP8 has no notification center) I'd be better off back on the buggy iOS with it's Windows 3.0 Program Manager interface....  I bought the 920 at launch back in November, and if it actually worked I'd really like it.  But I can't keep fighting the OS breaking and it's most basic functionality simply NOT WORKING.

This is my second 920 as the first one permanently burned out it's own battery in February in a non-stoppable OS reboot cycle while I was on a business trip - leaving me without a working phone for the duration until I could get home and get ATT to replace it.  My 3rd Party Live tiles had stopped updating on that phone - at the time I figured at least the new one might have working tiles.  This was true, for a few weeks at least, until replacement (my current phone) also stopped updating them....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eegorr

Where are all of the self-described experts now who told me this couldn't be true? I am still having this problem. System live tiles and lock screen updates work fine but app updates to both do not happen unless I manually open the app. I haven't noticed another firmware update from Nokia to fix this.

I see a couple more minor issues that showed up after one of the firmware updates, too. The animation where the main screen rolls out of the way when you open an app used to be perfectly fluid - it was quite impressive - now it is jerky, every time. Also, whenever I answer a phone call, the phone makes a funny noise just before connecting - every time. It never used to do this. My wife's Lumia 920, which we got at the same time I got mine and I updated both times when I updated mine, exhibits neither of these behaviors.

Maybe if someone from Nokia is actually reading this they could step in here and assure us that everything will be fixed in the next update!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eegorr

Update: now my built-in calendar tile is stuck on Memorial Day!

Please use plain text.