Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 1020 battery life appears poor?

Contributor
Necronis
Accepted Solution

Lumia 1020 battery life appears poor?

I have upgraded my phone to the new 1020 and i am noticing i am not really surviving the day without having to charge the phone.

When i first got it i had to charge it 5 times in 36 hours which i think is a lot. I appear to be losing on average 3-5% every 20-30 minutes but i am not using it. I have turned off all background running applications and make sure nothing is left running except the 3/4g which i know can drain the battery but shouldn't be all that bad. Currently i am using it very lightly.

Today i used it a bit more but all i have done is take around 20 pictures through the day and now i am down to 17% battery in under 9 hours just doing this. I am used to having my Note 2 running a number of apps constantly with GPS on and only having to charge it every 2nd day

Anyone else finds the battery life dies quick or maybe i have a faulty one?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Lumia 1020 battery life appears poor?

Running well over two days on a charge here on normal every day use.

Internet, location services always on

On WiFi whenever in range of a known hotspot

polling three mail accounts every 30 minutes

running Skype and WhatsApp in background

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@Necronis

Your battery consumption does seem to be a bit excessive, especially if you are barely using it as you say. Typically, I'm charging mine every day but I do use it quite a bit during the day: Internet browsing, reading the news, Facebook, email polling, checking the weather and playing a few games (Spider solitaire, Fruits&Fun and one or two other puzzle type games). And of course taking pictures.

If I didn't use mine so much I would expect a good couple of days between charges. I will say something though about excess battery drain. The other evening I charged my phone fully then put it into airplane mode then went to bed. In the morning the phone was down to 30% battery which was very odd considering the phone wasn't being used at all during this time. I identified the culprit as the Windows Phone Insider app that I had installed that previous evening (which was the only thing I'd done differently on my phone prior to the excess battery drain). I uninstalled the app and everything is back to how it was before hand.

All I can suggest to you is maybe you too have a rogue application causing the battery to drain quickly or maybe an app or service that is trying to sync but is having trouble reaching the server, so it is constantly trying to poll the server which will eat away at your battery.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I think I would describe myself as quite a heavy user of my phone, but am finding the 1020 much better on battery than my last couple of Lumia's, as suggested there may be some app draining the phone, go into settings slide to applications, choose background tasks and deny background access to as many apps as possible and see if the battery improves ?

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Necronis

I must admit, one of the newer apps i installed was Insider so i could monitor the battery, i never thought about that being a heavy use app.... i will uninstall it and try from there :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the help!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Necronis

After testing the phone today and taking some pictures and some general use it would appear the battery life is so much better, After 16 hours off the charge and removing insider i still have 40%+ charge left.

Thanks for the hints :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Great news, glad you found a solution, love my 1020 and hope you really enjoy yours too :smileywink:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

FWIW, I use this to monitor the battery level:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/battery-level-for-wp8/69c5134c-5de7-426e-8ee1-d8442026d5...

You can also pin a live tile to the home screen and have a notification of remaining charge and time left on the lock screen.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tathem

Like Necronis, I have a new Nokia Lumia 1020 which I purchased particularly for the Windows 8 Phone experience. I am struggling to get one full day out of a fully charged battery in stand by mode. Any background tasks are set to blocked so as not to update in real time, WiFi, Location Services etc. etc. are all turned off.

This is really disturbing given that the Nokia site suggests up to 6 days battery life in stabd by mode.

I am concerned that I may also have a dud battery.

Has anyone else had the same problem that has been corrected by replacing the battery?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jslkha

Hey @tathem

I'm having the same situation. Before my Lumia 1020 i had a Lumia 800 that worked beautifully in terms of battery. would last over a day no problem.

However this forum might be of use: http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/235806-1020-battery-issues.html

It helped me realise that my phone wasn't just not as good it was way off! After only 2 hours being fully charged I only had 3 hours remaining which is ridiculous.

So I'm dropping off my phone to a nokia care point tomorrow and let you know if the replacement is any better. It seems the way to go for the guy who started the thread above so if it doubt just replace it!

cheers,

JK
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tathem

Thanks for your advice. I will look at the article now.

Please let me know how you get on with Nokia care

and the new battery.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tathem

My battery issues appear to have resolved themselves.

I have run the battery to empty then recharged a few times. I have also updated the

Operating System to the latest version (8.0.10328.78). This seems to have stablised

the situation.

I got nearly three days out of a charge in standby mode and the battery charged fro 17% to

100% in a little over one hour this morning.

Still not the greatest battery life but better and I can live with it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

The problem with batteries, regardless of the brand, is that their technology has not kept up with the advances in the devices that they power.

In essence, you're powering a multimedia computer with the same type of battery that you used to use to power a phone with small monochrome screen that could place calls and do text messaging, full stop. Of course the battery life won't be anywhere near as good!

This said, nearly 3 days is pretty good for a Lumia 1020. With my usage pattern I'd probably get about a day out of one charge.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jslkha

So got the battery changed and it's an improvement most definitely but still only making to about 12-14 hours which is good enough as I make it to a charger around that time anyway. My only concern is that I can't leave data on all the time (though I need to get whatsapp messages as they come - part of my work and social life) but we'll see if after more charges it improves.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nick881

I have this same problem with my 1020. With moderate use the phone battery drains and rquires charging again after about 6 hours. With lght use it will just baout last 12 hours if I'm lucky. The reason I know something is really wrong is when I put it in flight mode it stil drains at 6 to 8% per hour and lasts about 14 hours.

I have taken the phone to the nokia care point and they "refurbished" the software which made no difference, I took it back a week later and they replaced the battery which still made no difference so I suspect it is a manufaturing fault. There seems to be quite a few instances of people with this problem, when you google nokia 1020 battery issues or battery drain or battery problems there are lots of results with generally no way to fix it other than a replacement handset. I have now sent my phone in to nokia and I am hoping for a replacement, will wait and see.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
0834eva

I have had mine for over 3 days now and I barely get 8 hours out of the battery... Very frustrating.

I have switched off all the other apps, I'm running lean and yet I'm not getting any joy.

There must be something wrong with the battery...:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jslkha

0834eva wrote:

I have had mine for over 3 days now and I barely get 8 hours out of the battery... Very frustrating.

I have switched off all the other apps, I'm running lean and yet I'm not getting any joy.

There must be something wrong with the battery...:smileymad:

Yup that's kinda how mine started out. I learnt that with the data connection on only when I need it (turning it off for a an hour or two then leaving it on etc) makes a substantial difference. I'm able to get around 14 hours but by the time I make it home and about to sleep I'm left with 30% so half charge it then charge it up in the morning. 

So on the practical side it lasts for a day. What I haven't done though is left data on ALL day. i'm going to do this tomorrow and since i've had it a few weeks i reckon the battery is charging and discharging more appropriately so will get back to you on it. Though in reply to the post above yours getting a replacement handset is still crossing my mind as I'm still in warranty (as we all should be if i'm right) and I read in forums some people getting some much more impressive numbers.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes and if lose patience i'll ask for a replacement handset in January.

JK

Please use plain text.
234mpa

I have used mobile phones for 15 years now and the ones I always got on best with were Nokia (I've had three communicators over the years). My last phone, a smart phone was of another make, but didn't run Office which is important to me, so I thought I would go with a Nokia Lumia 1020 Windows phone. The phone is great, I love it, but the battery is a real problem. The Battery App shows that full charge is only recorded momentarily and then it almost immediately plummets to between 30 and 40%. I spent two hours at the Nokia Care place in High Wycombe whilst they reloaded the software and that seemed to work for one charge cycle and now has reverted as above. It is all very well to keep going back to the Nokia Care place and reloading and configuring the phone, but all this takes time and of course a loss of income.

I have three proper Nokia mains chargers which are the only ones I use, so it cannot be them.

Surely the Apps offered through the App Store are both tested and approved by Nokia. I never had a battery/App problem with my last smart phone. Why are we being told that there is this problem with the Nokia 1020?

Reading the posts above, Nokia must be aware of this issue, so what are they doing to resolve it? I signed a two year contract in good faith and am very dissappointed that I am simply not getting support regarding this issue. If it is not sorted, I will have to go back to my mobile provider and buy my way out of the contract and go elsewhere which I don't want to do.

PLEASE NOKIA, DO THE DECENT THING AND TELL US HOW LONG WE, YOUR CUSTOMERS, ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PUT UP WITH WHAT LOOKS TO BE A FAULTY PRODUCT.

JWW  

Please use plain text.
Sage
JackB

Pull the other one, it rings bells
Please use plain text.
Sage
JackB

paulheu wrote "running well over two days on a charge here on normal every day use.
Internet, location services always on
On WiFi whenever in range of a known hotspot
polling three mail accounts every 30 minutes
running Skype and WhatsApp in background"

Pull the other one ,it rings bells
Please use plain text.