Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 1020 doesn't focus up close (macro)

Greazer

Lumia 1020 doesn't focus up close (macro)

According to the specs, the Lumia 1020 should be able to auto-focus as close as 15cm. However, my phone consistently has trouble focusing that close. Typically, if the subject is between 15cm and 25cm away and I hold down the shutter half-way to focus, or touch the screen on a focus point, the focusing system temporarily focuses, but then immediately "pops back" out of focus.

SOMETIMES I can focus up to around 15cm, but it's not consistent and so I've been finding it difficult to get macro shots in general with the phone.

Has anybody else had this problem, or is possibly just an issue with my specific phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Lumia 1020 doesn't focus up close (macro)

Thought that macro shots in auto-focus would always be disappointing and you are advised to use manual focus.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Greazer

I can see resorting to manual focus as a possibility, but is that something that's been documented elsewhere?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Only comments that spring to mind found in these articles:-

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/nokia/nokia-lumia-1020/20692/nokia-lumia-1020-pureview-nokia-pro-camer... and http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/07/29/nokia-lumia-1020-camera-on-show-manual-focus/

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Greazer

Thanks scoobyman,

However, as you'd probably guess those two articles really don't specifically state that it's better to use manual focus when shooting macro shots with the 1020. It certainly does make sense that manual is useful for macro, but that's an answer to a slightly different problem.

Here's why I think it's a bigger problem than realized. If you use an app that requires you to be able to focus close, such as a QR or bar code reader, or an banking app that lets you take pictures of a check to deposit it, this problem can be extremely annoying. In some cases it may render the app useless. The trouble is that most (if not all) of those apps do not provide a way to manually focus. Instead, with the 1020 you have to move back. But if you move too far, the thing you're trying to get in focus may get too small.

I think this is actually a bug in the system assuming other people are running into it. If not, then my phone needs to be replaced.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cupidsl

Yes I ran into this same problem. I tried everything to get it to focus close up when in auto focus mode but to no avail. This is definitely a bug! I tried out another 1020 at a local AT&T store and it had the same problem. This is really annoying since this phone is specifically marketed as a "camera" phone?! This kind of problem shouldn't exist at all since my other phones such iPhone4 and HTC One X with measley 8mega pixels don't have this problem! Ridiculous! Why didn't the QA staff catch this bug before releasing it to the public? I have to return this phone after I give a NEGATIVE review on Amazon website! I am so dissappointed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DiGiD

Same problem here.  I know the camera CAN focus close, because it briefly does so when trying to autofocus, but then it pops back out of focus again.  BIG problem for barcode scanning apps.  I hope they have a firmware fix coming.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Chris00Nok

I've never managed to get as close as 15cm,  I've so far been standing further back and then digitally zooming in. if you have bright light then the technique works exceptionally well

some of the bods have been getting some great shots using the manual focus, have a look at this thread from a while back

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pictures-and-Videos/Lumia-1020-impressive-camera/m-p/2124983#M10511

I've had the phone since the 17th Sept. and it's a great camera but I think it needs a different mindset, it's not as simple as just point and shoot.  One thing that struck me on using it after an SLA is how wide angle the lens is, it's like shooting with a permanently attached wide angle lens,  and I think this is the cause of the problem.

I think I need two extra elements to make it into an awesome macro machine.

1)  something like this http://www.olloclip.com/    to refocus the lens onto a small area.  (if you couple this with the 1020 camera, it would be amazing not far off a small microscope)

2)  an app that will save your manual setting as a list of favorites so you don't have to constantly set them back up each time you turn the camera on.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Libereso

I think others are missing the point that Greazer, DiGiD and others are making. It is this: the camera actually CAN focus when it is this close, you can actually see it doing so.  BUT it does not hold it when the picture is finally taken.  That is what is so frustrating.   I would agree, this seems to be a software problem.  I wish Nokia would recognize it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

seems to be working great on the nokia pro cam, but not well at all on the standard camera.

notice that in order to get a decent picture on the standard camera to focus, I have to be about 9-12 inches away.

this was not the case with my 920 prior to the amber update.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DiGiD

Was hoping they'd fix this in the Black update, but I updated to Black, and it still can't focus close. :crying:

Please use plain text.
radovan01

I can only confirm what others have said. After my 920 was stolen last year I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. I love the 1020 a lot and use the camera almost daily. I am not a professional photographer but the moment when I am trying to take a macro I can see the camera focused on the object for a second and then it looses it - that's very frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nsdq160th

I CAN'T ZOOM IN TO TAKE A PICTURE OF RECEIPTS, ETC WITHIN 2 TO 3 INCHES OF THE OBJECT!  IS THIS THE PROBLEM EVERYONE IS HAVING?  HOLDING THE SHUTTER BUTTON 1/2 WAY WILL ZOOM BUT ONCE I CLICK THE SHUTTER ALL THE WAY, IT'S ALL BLURRY AND THE FLASH MAKES FOR A WHITE BLANK RECEIPT THAT I'M TRYING TO TAKE.   Is everyone else having this problem?  this is bs.  I can use my galaxy note II to take these kinds of pics with no problem.  Is this camera **bleep** or what?  please explain it to me!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thalion

@nsdq160th  please take a look at Lumia 1020 Phone specs, it says Camera minimum focus range: 15 cm,which is about 6 inches. I would be suprised if you could focus an object within 3".  

Some ppl may say 920 is better, which has a 8cm/3" focus range. But, well it's not 41MP :smileywink:

Contributor of the month
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

nsdq160th wrote:

I CAN'T ZOOM IN TO TAKE A PICTURE OF RECEIPTS, ETC WITHIN 2 TO 3 INCHES OF THE OBJECT!  IS THIS THE PROBLEM EVERYONE IS HAVING?  HOLDING THE SHUTTER BUTTON 1/2 WAY WILL ZOOM BUT ONCE I CLICK THE SHUTTER ALL THE WAY, IT'S ALL BLURRY AND THE FLASH MAKES FOR A WHITE BLANK RECEIPT THAT I'M TRYING TO TAKE.   Is everyone else having this problem?  this is bs.  I can use my galaxy note II to take these kinds of pics with no problem.  Is this camera **bleep** or what?  please explain it to me!!

Have you tried to take a shot from whatever distance it will focus properly, i.e. 6 inches or so and then use the reframe option in Nokia camera. That works great for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BurtFaceman

[ Edited ]

I've noticed this problem too. Disappointing. I hope they fix it in the next update. I have to be about 25 cm away before the focus will decide to "stick".

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have the same problem too. I have to be nearly 60cm away before i get anything into focus. Nokia Refocus doesn't work either. I have reset the phone but no change, its very annoying as i bought the phone for the camera
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jenpurlteach

I'm also having trouble, just as these others are writing.  I could not take a photo of a photo (I know that's lame but I just wanted to quickly share a photo from an album with someone), no matter what distance I was shooting from.  I got far away, close, manual focus---I tried everything I knew.  Is it REALLY frustrating to see somehting in focus for that brief moment and know it won't take the photo in that way.  Last summer I took beautiful close ups of garden bugs and flowers with my HTC One X, but I can't get this figured out.  I also bought this phone because of the camera.  But I WANT to love it!  I can't believe how great my landscapes look, even zoomed in. 

Please use plain text.
rlwk17

Too much from focus range finder causes this. I use ccam to read business cards all the time
try these. 1. Back away from Subject until focus is stable pressing shutter half way. Holding shutter at half way, move 1020 in to distance or until start to lose focus. 2. Fin point where focus is stable Take picture. Then zoom in on image. Use zoom app to take picture. Or 3. Go manual focus, moving slider as close as possible to auto, adjust camera - subject distance as desired but maintain focus 4. Use refocus app at desired distance .
Please use plain text.
rlwk17

What I don't like about wp8 is a keyboard without arrow keys to review and fix typos. I wanted to say, too much bounce from focus range finder. I can take very close pictures (2 - 3 inches 5-7 cm) using these methods.
Please use plain text.