Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 1520 RM-938

kewlb

Lumia 1520 RM-938

When is Nokia bringing up the lumia 1520 rm-938 factory unlocked one in US. Carrier centricity here is just terrible. And I badly wanted this phone.:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Lumia 1520 RM-938

You will have to contact local stores or check online stores that ship to your region,as you say there is a carrier specific version now .YOu could also ask nokia us via facebook or twitter about this

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

as far as I can tell, the rm-938 "US version" that was listed on the gsm arena website is in fact the rm-940 that ATT has, with exception of the 32GB internal memory and Qi charging.

I have a rm-940 that I have unlocked and it is working perfectly, with LTE access on T-Mobile as it has the bands 4/17 for the LTE.

not having any issue right now at all and have been using it since day 1 of release here.

I paid full price and had to be tenacious with att, sending proof of full price purchase and that it was an ATT unit as originally, they pushed back, saying it wasn't an ATT device. (fools)

anyway, took about 3 days to get it unlocked.

hope that helps.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
kewlb

LTE may work but are you sure if 4G/3G works with the ATT unit on TMobile? Because for 3G/4G to work you need support for both 1700/2100MHZ. And I know in most of the places you will only get that on TMo.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

3g is on 1700/2100

lte is on bands 4/17

like I said, I'm using it now.

once its unlocked, you'll be fine.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

ceroberts75 wrote:
anyway, took about 3 days to get it unlocked.

3 days!

Wow! Things go fast over there.

I asked EE (UK operator) for my 920's unlock code 3 months ago and still don't have it.

Empirical "evidence" suggests that you don't get it until you take them to the in d ep e n de nt adjudicators, which is what will happen some time in January.

(Sorry for the word full of spaces just then. Apparently that is a naughty word according to the filters on this forum?!?!?)

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

that was 3 days of how to win friends and influence people banter to get them to understand it was their device (they said at first it wasn't an ATT device) with pictures of the device and the screen showing the IMEI and the ATT logo. then eventually got it to the ICU team and then it finally happened.

told them I paid full price (I did) and needed to take it for business to Yorkshire, UK and was getting on a red-eye.

then appealed to their nobler nature and asked what they would expect from promoting a product with a logo on it, etc... :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

Hi, Did you buy your Lumia 1520 at a Microsoft mortar and brick Store? Are you sure you are getting HSPA+ 3G speeds on 1700/2100 frequencies? The only thing that holds me back to buy this phone is because it(RM-938) doesn't have 1700/2100 on 3G radio(per Nokia US website.) It only has 850MHz/900MHz/1900MHz/2100MHz.
I don't see 1700 frequency there which is needed for a fast 3G HSPA+ speed. I hope they're lying. :smileywink: I'll buy this handset tomorrow if in fact it has 1700/2100 frequency on 3G. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

You better pull out some cash then haus and head down to Microsoft store.

you get 4G on LTE bands 4/17

you will have to fight a bit with att to get the unlock code, but it is possible. I did it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

My concern is on 3G network. It lacks 1700 MHz. I know I can get LTE on their (T-Mobile) 4G network because bands 4 and 17 are present. I don't want to fall back to 2G (EDGE) when LTE is not available. That's too slow.
I can get it unlocked in a few minutes over the phone. I did it with my Lumia 1020.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

I haven't had any issues with coverage on this device. I had more on my global unlocked devices.

used it all over California and about to take it to CES in another week.

not sure about your coverage where you're at.

getting it unlocked is different now then before. They changed the process about 4 weeks ago. All unlocks go directly online, where you will run into an error.

call att care, let them know you need help as online it errored. They will determine they cannot help you and that's the new way to unlock and there is no way around it.

kindly ask to speak to a supervisor, they will say the same.

explain that you own the equipment outright and have a receipt for a full price device to take it on a business trio and must have it unlocked as it is not subsidized.

they will say there is nothing they can do and the device has to be on the service for 90 days.

remind them you don't have an att account and paid full price. And would appreciate them to check with another manager, and would like to have a ticket created with the ICU team. And that with the ticket number you can send a copy of the receipt proving the full price paid for the device to be sent to deviceunlockreceipts@att.com

hope that helps.

I had no problems in less then ten minutes unlocking a 1020 I bought for my mom. But they changed process. :/

it took about three business days once I had a ticket and confirmed the receipts were received. And the process was all completed through email after the phone call.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Also, if you are using an ATT unlocked 1020, then it will work exactly the same way.

I have both 1020 ATT and 1020 global. Unlocked ATT works better on TMobile, though, both work. And the ATT version works faster as it has the 4/17 that the global didn't have.

so, if you're using the 1020, your serviceability will be the same on the 1520.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

Thank you very much for your help. I live in Southern California, BTW. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

I made a little bit of research and here's why I learned:

AT&T version is the RM-940. This unit doesn't have 1700 frequency on its 3G Network. You will not get HSPA+ speeds when LTE speeds are not available on 4G Network. You'll either get LTE or EDGE and that's a very bad news. What most T-Mobile users have been waiting for is the RM-938 North American version which is still not available anywhere in the world. It will probably launch sometime next year. Rogers(Canada) or T-Mobile US will most likely carry it. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

BTW, the Lumia 1020 that I bought wasn't for me. I just unlocked it for my friend who payed me extra bucks just for doing that. :smileywink: Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

Also, the Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 will have built-in Qi wirelss charging the and the storage is 32gb. Definitely worth waiting for. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

the US/global version, if released, will be a couple to 300 more in price if it goes with the current pricing of the RM-937 that you can buy from www.welectronics.com (good source, honest guys, I don't get paid from them, but mention my ceroberts75 handle and they may give you a small discount)

I purchased a replacement case from spain that should be here any day and has the Qi charging in it. so I will change the shell and the only difference will be the additional 16gb on-board memory, though I have a 32gb card in my device and it is fairing well.

if you are in LA area, the tmo coverage down there is much better than the coverage in the norcal area. my experience, as I have the device and am using it as you are asking, is that it will work just fine. :smileyhappy: and that is not theory. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hcsinger

:squint:^ Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
gabrielon30z

Hi... I have been reading your posts and I want to ask you something about connectivity on L1520 that I owns. I update from L920 to L1520 just two days in between I switched from simple mobile to metropcs in Miami,with L920 I had LTE working amazing but with L1520 I can't even get 4G. I have read something about that when the phone receives low strength in signal it use a lower connection, but I can't get LTE even with full signal... Do you know if there is a workaround on this?... Thanks in advance..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
garym11

gabrielon30z wrote:
Hi... I have been reading your posts and I want to ask you something about connectivity on L1520 that I owns. I update from L920 to L1520 just two days in between I switched from simple mobile to metropcs in Miami,with L920 I had LTE working amazing but with L1520 I can't even get 4G. I have read something about that when the phone receives low strength in signal it use a lower connection, but I can't get LTE even with full signal... Do you know if there is a workaround on this?... Thanks in advance..

This depends on what version of the 1520 you have.

Go to settings, extras+info, more info. What is the manufacturers name and what is the mobile operator?

The name will be RMxxxx....

Please use plain text.