Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 520 Lock button issue

AshiKumar

Lumia 520 Lock button issue

I bought my Lumia 520 in April of 2013. Recently the lock button had stopped working. Took to a Nokia Care Centre. I collected it back on 2-Sept 2013. On that night I used the phone and it seemed working fine.

But from 2 Sept 2013 morning, I keep receiving this notification "Slide down to power off". It seems like there is a fake lock button press going on. Donno why this is happening.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
nj15

Re: Lumia 520 Lock button issue

Hi Ashikumar,

Welcome to Nokia Discussions!

Try restarting the phone and see if it still does that. If it is under a protective case, remove it and see if the power/lock key is stuck.

If the above thing does not help, you might need to send it again to a Nokia Care Centre for further diagnostics.

Good luck

Thank you nj15.

I tried doing both soft reset as well as hard reset, but the issue still persists. I tried both with and without the back panel on but no difference. I will wait if some other option comes up and then decide as to what I need to do.

Please use plain text.
AshiKumar

The issue somehow seems to have resolved after performing update of Display & Touch which was post my Hard reset. It has been 24hrs since no flickering.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nickschaafsma

How did you update that?

I got the same problem, and it annoys me a lot.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

nickschaafsma wrote:

How did you update that?

I got the same problem, and it annoys me a lot.

You can update ANY of the System Applications using THIS  ..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pfrr

The button standby power off button, wake up button stopped working. I had to wake up the phone and then setting the camera button to be "live". After then I was able to wake up the phone but unable to put it to sleep, power off or soft reset as for this you need to have a working standby button to do this. A very very big oversight Windows/Nokia. You should be able to do this by touch screen buttons too!

Then I though that i could not be bothered to go to Vodafone or Nokia and be without a phone for 2 weeks. So...

I removed to back plastic cover.

I loked at the 4 micro switches that are on the side left of the phone (top 2 volume up and down), middle stand by / power of, bottom camera switch.

With the tip of my tongue I wetted with saliva the standby power of switch and then with my lips on the side of the phone I gave a good suction suck and blow to dry it and remove any dust or grease.

And then... it is working great again. So listen.. tip of the tongue, suck and blow. Not hi tech but it will save you a lot of wait and calls.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Notafan11

Will have to give that method ago.   Was going to send my phone in again but worried that it would not be permanent and would end up happening again.  Cannot keep being without a phone for two weeks all the time. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Naxirian

Hi

The power/unlock button on my Nokia 520 has died completely, I can't even get the phone to power on, even with a full charge. I tried swapping the back cover for a new one in case it was just a broken button, but it hasn't change anything. I bought it brand new from a store on ebay, but how would I go about getting it repaired? It's only a cheap phone, is it even worth the cost of getting it repaired? As I bought it from ebay I don't actually have a receipt for it so I don't know how I'd prove that it is under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BethM1993

I recently got a nokia lumia 520 and the lock botton has completely stopped working if was fine to begin with but over a couple of weeks of having the phone it has slowly stopped working it doesnt unlock or lock at all i have to put the phone on charge to unlock the phone... please help thanks

Please use plain text.
AshiKumar

I woudl suggest you to try soft and hard reset if it fixes the issue. Else you would be required to go to Nokia Customer Care. If you do it soon enough they might replace it without cost.

Please use plain text.
AshiKumar

Even if you have bought it through Ebay you can show the ebay dealer receipt. It is worth the repair, bcoz the phone is awesome experience to have. You will love it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LockButton

Hello, I've had my nokia lumia for about 5 months and about 2 months ago the lock button stopped working. Is there anything I can do?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@LockButton

If your power/lock button is faulty then all you can do is take it to Nokia care for repair.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
scorpiora

Omg, my button has been playing up for months and finally stopped working. I just tried this and low and behold the button works perfectly now! Thank you!!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eebo

For the record, the tongue, suck, blow method worked for me, exactly the same symptoms of inactive on/off button. Now reactivated following the method.

Happy, was going to buy a 920, but don't need to (button looked the same on those anyway)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eebo

Ahemmmm....the lick, suck, blow works, but doesn't last more than 5 mins, then needs doing again....Deffo a design fault on the micro switch button.......
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aghasalman

It really worked thnx alot
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eebo

EE were next to useless, 6 months warranty? In this day and age???? Anyway, called Nokia,who offer 2 year warranty, and even that was difficult, they don't have a phone service for certain phones, entry level pleb 520 included !

Best bet is to search their care centre listing for a place near you, phone the IMEI number through and check they agree it is UK issue, and within warranty for a free repair..........then take it or post it to them...........

My service centre was claiming it is common, its an issue with lead free solder (don't they always say that) and that the switch will have jumped off the board.............they claim the repair should be good, but it'll be 2-3 days......we'll see.......................while I was in the shop, guess what? Yup, another person walks in with a Nokia 520 whre the on / off and down volume buttons had stopped working :-) Nokia, get a grip!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dhaval7884

Thanks a lot. Worked for me
Please use plain text.