Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 520 - Problems with Text (SMS) Messages

Shapeless
Accepted Solution

My Lumia 520 has two very annoying problems with text messages:

1. It won't send a text message to more than one person - it doesn't matter whether I set up a Group and use that, or add individuals one-by-one to a text message, the message always fails to send. I can text each person individually, no problem, but any text with more than one recipient is not sent, no matter how many times I 'try again'.

2. I can attach contacts to a text message, but the text message fails (is not sent), again, no matter how many times I 'try again'. If I take out the contact details, the message sends.

I haven't changed network provider, and could do both these things on my previous phone - after all, sending group texts is hardly cutting edge technology. I've had the phone about a month now, and in that time I've never been able to group text or send a contact.

The software is up to date, I've looked at forums, I've looked at the instruction manual, but I can't see any reason why I should have these problems.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Lumia 520 - Problems with Text (SMS) Messages

If you open the messaging app,go to the three dots on bottom right- scroll down to group text.If its off try turning it on,if its on try turning it off this may be a network dependant issue.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Shapeless

Sorry for the dely in replying.

It was on, so I switched it off, and it worls fine now - thanks very much!:thumbsup:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Your welcome.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
shon99

I am also facing same problem with nokia lumia 520.I am not able to sent contact details (attaching phone number and email id) through sms from my lumia 520.It is showing that "cant sent the message.it contain contact details/media content in this mobile etc. please give me a solution.i am using idea connection and from India

Please use plain text.
cklumia520

I am also having issues with text messages - they do not sequence properly. There is no specific order to it that one can learn........ new text messages will be down in the list somewhere whereas read ones will be shown on top. It is not even sorted in alphabatical order...... I guess it might be to do with txt mssgs on my SIM which got moved along when I moved SIM from old phone

Is anyone else also having the same issue.... any insights into this will be of help!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

cklumia520 - Have you confirmed that the Time / Date are set correct ?

Please use plain text.
cklumia520

[ Edited ]

@farby - thank you for your reply.

Yes - date/  time has been checked and set correctly (to automatically update). In fact I use the alarms every day morning to manage my time around sending children to school!! :smileyhappy:

Now that you have brought up issue to time/ date - I found a peculiar behaviour with my 520. Whenever you remove battery (I had to do it 3-4 times), the date/ time defaults to 1 September 2012. Very strange for a smart phone not to remember last date/ time when battery was removed. You have to either set the time again manually or set it to automatic update. When set on automatic update, it will first show time as 1st Sept 2012 for a few seconds before updating it to correct one.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

cklumia520 wrote:

Now that you have brought up issue to time/ date - I found a peculiar behaviour with my 520. Whenever you remove battery (I had to do it 3-4 times), the date/ time defaults to 1 September 2012. Very strange for a smart phone not to remember last date/ time when battery was removed. You have to either set the time again manually or set it to automatic update. When set on automatic update, it will first show time as 1st Sept 2012 for a few seconds before updating it to correct one. 

That seems to be Normal (?) as mentioned HERE and in some more threads ..

Please use plain text.
cklumia520

@Farby, - thank you for confirming. I won't have to waste my breath on trying to get it resolved. It is just a little thing to remember. 

Though saying that - 'Normal' is not the right word here. It can be called a rouge feature of Lumia 520, if it is a inbuilt birth trait. Even cheapest phone worth its money now-a-days comes with inbuilt trait to remember date and time. Come-on, it is the easyiest  'smart' thing for phone to do. Don't know what guys at Microsoft/ Nokia were dreaming about when the would have come to Time/ Date functionality.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
echoindiana

I'm having the same problem with text message sequence on a lumia 520. The text conversations are shown in no particular order and some of my return messages are not showing at all. Message conversations that transfered over from my old phone are shown properly though. Is this possible a stroage problem? The phones storage is 2/3 full....

Would appriciate any advice anyone can give.

Please use plain text.
prasad1310

I have a problem in sending text messages on Nokia lumia 520. when i type a new messageor reply  and send it says can't send try again. However I receive text messages but am not send. Please help me it really is annoying.

would appreciate your quick response.

Thnk you

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
boykieboy

Hi,

Nokia has a future that is Group sending.  The drawback of this is that it converts the message to a MMS.  So if you are for example on PAYG and without credit, will the sending of the message fail.  

Turn this off and it should solve the problem.  It worked for me.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slaad

guys,

i tried turning group message ON and OFF both.. its not working on both modes.Can anyone  tell me some other solutions. I can't send or receive text messages. Please suggest

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DesperateDan5J

As mentioned by other users I also tried turning group message ON and OFF but its not working on both modes.Can anyone  tell me some other solutions. I can't send or receive text messages. Please suggest

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
khos

i have the same issue with the text messaging.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
indhu_philo

I am having problem with text message. If i add contact details in the text or send message to group, it'll not work. I am getting only "sending failed".

Also I cannot find nothing while click three dots on bottom-right.

Plzz help me...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
need_help_asap

right i have a anoying problem my lumia 520 wont send a txt it wont even show up to say that i have written i have tried turning it of an on againg took battery out any ideas   

and also none of my messageing applications are working neither but i can get email and i can browse the net

Please use plain text.
Sridharg

[ Edited ]

It is a new problem, not a reply to any...

I wonder I dont get text reply optiona at all to my saved contacts, i can  only call them. But of unsaved contacts i get both options call and SMS,

Screen shot attached, Any help!!!

Sri

Hyderabad, India

Moderator's note: Phone number was removed. It is unwise to publish personal contact information on a public forum.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mrkN520

Hi,

recently bought one. I have also experienced the same problem. It did work after I made everything off with the message settings first and then on the test message backup first and then sms delivery confirmation. Rest of the MUST be in off condition. It worked for me. Please try. Thx.

Please use plain text.