Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 520 music glitches when played from Micr...

Sage
Martin520
Accepted Solution

Lumia 520 music glitches when played from MicroSD card

My new Lumia 520 puts occasional momentary pauses into music playing from a MicroSD card. 

Yesterday I opened a thread on this blaming Bluetooth but I've deleted that as I was mistaken and the title was misleading; the Bluetooth works just fine from internal memory and it turns out all outputs (Bluetooth, headphone jack and speaker) are affected by the fault if the music's played from MicroSD.  Sorry to cause any confusion.

So the symptom is: Music stops for about half a second then restarts, followed a fraction of a second later by another very short stop/start.  This happens seemingly at random, and can occur a couple of times in a track, or not at all for a a few tracks.

I've checked more closely and the glitches, when they do occur, always happen at regular multiples of 66 seconds within any track (that suggests to me some kind of addressing/paging problem reading data from the card).

• The card is a Hama 16GB Class 10 MicroSD.
  • I formatted the card on the phone before I used it.
  • I dragged & dropped the music files from my iTunes folder on my Win XP PC.
  • The card plays normally on my old Nokia 6303.
  • The card from the old phone displays the same glitchy symptoms in the Lumia 520.

Glitches on the old phone's card show up at multiples of 64 seconds.  Otherwise it's identical.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Re: Lumia 520 music glitches when played from MicroSD card

Update: Had to nuke and pave, but it appears to be fixed.

Called my service provider and they put me through to Nokia who concluded I needed to try resetting the phone and starting from scratch.

It's been playing for the last half an hour or so with no glitches.  Fingers crossed that's fixed it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

I spoke too soon - the fault is back though it only happens intermittently. The pauses still happen every 66 seconds but now they last for 1-2 seconds at a time. Perhaps surprisingly, if I restart a track, the pauses don't always occur at the same point in the song. So it can't be a problem with reading from particular memory locations.

I'm resetting the phone again but don't have much expectation that will fix it.

By the way, I've seen various owners comment their phone is too quiet. This phone got much quieter after I reset it. It doesn't go nearly as loud now as it did at first.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Well, another factory reset has not cured it, so it's going back. 

Orange intend to attempt to repair rather than replace it, though I'm pretty sure it'll need replacing.  I did initially report the fault within 14 days (as noted above) but Orange say they have no record of my call.  I couldn't be bothered to argue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Medality

Hi,

I've got the exact same issue with a Lexar Mobile SDHC 32 Go class 10 card.

I don't think your phone is in cause there, as Lumia 820 also have issues with class 10 cards. I've read on these forums that we must use class 4 cards.

What class is your old card ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Hi Medality.

My old MicroSD card is Class 2.

Both it and the Class 10 card play just fine in my old Nokia 6303.

Is your problem also with a Lumia 520 phone?

Today I received a return envelope to send my phone for repair, but I'm increasingly convinced this is not a hardware fault at all, so I'm in a quandary trying to decide whether to send it away or not.  I'd probably just lose my phone for 2 weeks only to learn they can't find anything wrong with it.  But if I don't send it, then I'd be relying on Nokia or Microsoft to come up with a firmware update to fix it and I can't find any way to discover whether this is a known fault that's being worked on.

Very frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Medality

Yes I've got a Lumia 520.

I tried formatting the card in FAT32 with 32kb clusters, like I've found on these forums, but the problem is still there.
In my case, however, the issue only happen when music is played via Bluetooth. When I plug headphones, it plays without pauses.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

I thought at first that mine only showed the fault on Bluetooth, but I've since heard the fault on headphones and on the internal speaker too.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

I just checked the status of my repair, and the phone is being sent back to me: "No fault found."

That doesn't particularly surprise me, but how do I resolve this problem now?

S.B.E., on behalf of EE, on behalf of Orange, couldn't find anything wrong with my Nokia's hardware.   But I never really thought the problem was the hardware at all, I'm increasingly convinced the problem is that Microsoft's OS just isn't very good at handling SD cards.

What should I do?  Ask Orange to take it back and give me a Samsung instead?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rambosaha

@Martin520 - I had the same problem with a 4GB class 4 SD card in my 520. If you take my advice, a class 10 card might create problems. when i decided to buy a new SD card for my 520, i browsed the net and found that class 10 cards have been found to create problems, and crashes at times. Most didn't recommend a class 10, so I bought a 16GB class 6.... and its working flawlessly! no pauses or errors.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Thanks for the suggestion, rambosaha.  I've seen various comments suggesting Class 6 cards may work more reliably than faster or slower cards.  It's a pity they're rarer than other classes; shops only seem to stock Class 4 and 10 cards.

If I could be sure it would work, I might buy a larger Class 6 card, 32 or 64GB, but that still seems a bit risky and I'm not keen on throwing good money after bad.

I don't suppose you've found any announcement by Nokia stating what type of cards they recommend, have you?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Medality

Hey rambosaha,

Which card did you buy ? If I can found a card that work well in Bluetooth, I'll buy it right away !
I've got the same issue as with my Lexar with a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB... This is driving me crazy. It works with headphones but not in Bluetooth (music pauses for 1-2 seconds 2 times per song).

Maybe it's my car that's causing this, but if I copy my music on the phone storage, it works well...

Thanks for your help !
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

I looked up the definition of the different classes of card, and it seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Classes 2, 4 and 6 define a minimum sustained write speed even with fragmented storage.  Class 10 defines a faster write speed, but only for a non-fragmented card.

Also, it appears not all cards of the same class are equal;

"The speed class rating does not totally characterize card performance. Different cards of the same class may vary considerably while meeting class specifications. In addition, speed may vary markedly between writing a large amount of data to a single file [...] and writing a large number of small files (a random access use common in smartphones)."

It looks like what we need is an approval list of specific cards.

So far I can say a Hama 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10 ain't on the list.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rambosaha

@martin520 - Yes, agreed. where i am from, shops stock only class 4, class 10 can be provided only on prior payment n order, SO i bought it through flipkart. they provide pretty decent products at a decent price. if any of your friends have a class 6 try it out, and then i would suggest you go for it. works perfectly for me. mine is a Samsung 16GB Class 6... and no I didnt come across anything as such where nokia has recommended certain cards. but i do remember something like "Class 4 or higher recommended"... but dont remember where!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rambosaha

@Medality - As much as i know, depending on the SD Card, the quality of the music doesnt vary whether its being played through headphones or bluetooth headset. It depends on the player. if its because of the SD Card, then your phone will have a problem playing the music disregarding whether ur using a headphone or a BT device. It might be because of a fault/bug in the firmware or the music app. try soft resetting your phone!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Medality

I resolved my issue !!!

The problem was that my music was encoded in WMA 10 Pro VBR 24 bits. I've read somewhere on MSDN that Windows Phone only supports 16 bits so I've made a test and encoded an album in WMA 10 Pro CBR 16 bits (my encoder couldn't let me do VBR in 16 bits), and everything is fine on Bluetooth !!! Woooot !!!

I think it has to do with processing power when decoding 24 bits music and sending it via Bluetooth but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, maybe this is the problem you're having, martin520 !

I'm now totally happy of my Lumia :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Congratulations on fixing your problem.  I wish I could say the same. :smileysad:

I pinned my hopes on a new MicroSD card that was specifically supposed to work well with smartphones:  A SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC 32GB.  The packaging proudly announces: "Works with Windows Phone".

Still keeps doing the same glitching trick.

In fact it's decided to throw a few more problems in just for fun.  Most  songs appear twice in the track list.  When I started to test it, it played a couple of tracks then stopped.  When I switched on the phone to see what was happening, it started again.  At the end of the next track it stopped again, and I couldn't turn the phone on again until I'd removed the battery.  Now there are 3 copies of most songs.  Having played a dozen tracks or so with occasional glitches it just stopped dead in the middle of a song.

I won't bore you with the rest but I've just reset the phone using the Volume Down and Power buttons.  Instead of fixing a problem, I appear to have created a flakey, unstable monster.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Now it's decided there are 4 copies of each of  those songs.

Windows Phone 8 will probably be really nice, when it's finished.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

Don't delete any of the copies or you will be unable to play the song. If you find duplicate photos don't delete any of the duplicates or the original will also be deleted.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Thanks for the warning Kenny.  Much appreciated.

When it decided I now had 5 copies of each song, I'd had enough and reformatted the MicroSD card. 

Then I reloaded my music but this time instead of synching it to the phone using Windows Media Player, I took the card out of the phone, plugged it into my PC and dragged and dropped my iTunes library folder contents into the Music folder on the card.  Last time I did that it didn't start creating multiple phantom files and it looks as if that has worked again this time.

Hasn't stopped the random pauses though.

I think the next logical step must be to ask Orange to replace the phone.

Please use plain text.