Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 620 MMS Problem

cairdee

Lumia 620 MMS Problem

I have a Nokia Lumia 620 unlocked running on Vodafone Ireland, however I can't recieve any pictures via MMS.

From doing some reading Win Phone 8 is supposed to read the settings from the SIM but this obviously isnt working in my case. I tried turning data off rebooting the phone and turning data back on again but that didn't change anything either.

Doese anyone have any tips or suggestions on what else I could do ?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 620 MMS Problem

Yes, the phone is meant to read the settings from the sim, assuming the settings are on the sim. I am using a VF Irl sim in one of my phones now and everthing is working fine. 

Before trying anything else, check this setting, Settings>Mobile network>Data connection. It needs to be set to "On" to send MMS's. 

Another possibility is an old sim which does not have the settings on it for the phone to read, so if your sim is a few years old, you may want to try a replacement. 

Last but not least, you could also try manually setting the apn. Will talk you through this if the above dont solve your problem. 

Please use plain text.
cairdee

Thanks for the suggestion but the data setting was already on.

Yes it is an old sim, I would like to try manually setting the apn if you could help with that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If your sim is old I would still recommend getting a new sim because new sims will have more than just the apn settings. There are also data settings which will provide you with better and faster connections. 

However, if you still with to try a manual setup, then goto Settings>Access Point>Add. Settings shouls be as follows.

Voda Live
Data Type: Default
Access Point Name: live.vodafone.com
User Name: dublin
Password: dublin
Authentication: Normal
DNS: Automatic / Blank
Homepage: http://live.vodafone.com
Advanced/Other Settings:
Proxy Server Address: 10.24.59.100
Proxy Port: 80

Voda MMS 
Access Point Name: mms.vodafone.net
Homepage: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
Advanced/Other Settings:
Proxy Server Address: 10.24.59.200

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

WHen you open Settings>accesspoint it should show you the available accesspoint, if the Vodafone one is there, just select it. If it's the only one it will autoselect (and show you it is active).

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

For manual configuring of settings you may also refer on this link.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
cairdee

cjlim wrote:

If your sim is old I would still recommend getting a new sim because new sims will have more than just the apn settings. There are also data settings which will provide you with better and faster connections. 

However, if you still with to try a manual setup, then goto Settings>Access Point>Add. Settings shouls be as follows.

Voda Live
Data Type: Default
Access Point Name: live.vodafone.com
Homepage: http://live.vodafone.com
Advanced/Other Settings:
Proxy Server Address: 10.24.59.100

Voda MMS 
Access Point Name: mms.vodafone.net
Homepage: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
Advanced/Other Settings:
Proxy Server Address: 10.24.59.200

Thanks for the help I appreciate it but I don't have all of those setting under Win Phone 8, this is what I get and me trying to fit them into what I think are the closest match.

Connection Name = Voda Live

Data Type = Default

'Internet APN'

Access Point Name = live.vodafone.com (is leaving out the http:// valid ?)

Username = dublin

Password = dublin

Proxy Address = 10.24.59.100

Proxy Port = 80

Network Type = IPv4

Authentication Type = None (only options are PAP & CHAP)

'MMS APN'

MMS Access Point Name = mms.vodafone.net

Username = dublin

Password = dublin

Proxy Address = 10.24.59.200

Proxy Port = 80

MMSC address = http://www.vodafone.ie/mms (this option is mandatory it wont let you save unless you put something in here)

Network Type = IPv4

Authentication Type = None

Still doesnt work with this in place, get the your phone doesnt support MMS open this webpage to view the image.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

The settings for Vodafone should really be automatic and you should not need any manual entries.

I'd suggest you remove ALL entried in settings > access point you made, reset the phone and then go into settings > access point again. You should see one entry for Vodafone and it  should say active beneath it. If not tap and hold the access point and select 'Activate'

For manual entry the MMSC address would be mms.vodafone.net, the one you use now is just a web URL for the homepage. MMSC stands for MMS Centre and is the address for the server which handles the MMS messages

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
coffeecup

You have my sympathy!  I bought a Nokia Lumia 620 last week, popped my Asda sim card in and the phone worked fine.  Then I tried internet and MMS but relised I needed settings.  The automatic settings promised in a text didn't arrive.

I phoned Asda and they tried this, that and everyway to automatically/ manually/ and any other way to set them but without result.  They suggested I phoned Nokia.

I phoned Nokia (in South East Asia) and they told me where to find the place on the phone to put the settings.

I tried inserting the settings.  The 'labels' in the phone are not the same as the 'labels' on the sheet of settings ASDA gave me.

Next day I phoned Asda again.  They tried every which way to get me up and running.  Internet eventually connected but not MMS.  They had no further answer and suggested I phone Nokia.

I phoned Nokia again.  They tried some settings but without sucess.  They did a factory default reset of my phone (so all data, etc disappeared).  They tried installing manual settings from Asda web site.  When he got to MMSC he said he couldn't go on and I should contact Asda.

Talk about frustration!!!  

I now have a phone with no personal information, photos, messages or anything on.  I do not have internet and I do not have MMS.

If these phones are so smart, why can't they work out what settings to install?

What sort of communication is there between Nokia and service providors in each country?

Why is it taking so long after launch for a new product to become usable?

Why am I feeling so much frustration with Nokia - I didn't have these problems with HTC?

Rant over.  Good luck to anyone who is trying (without sucess) to use their Nokia phone as it was designed to do.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

What happens if you go to Settings>System>Access Point and select ASDA Mobile from the available options ?

Please use plain text.