Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 620 - "Play To" app

Advisor
Charlie55
Accepted Solution

Lumia 620 - "Play To" app

Sorry if this has been asked (and answerd) before, but can anyone tell me if/when the DLNA 'Play To' app will become available in the UK for the 620?

I've found it mentioned on some websites claiming its appparently available, but I cannot find it.

So can anyone tell me ( a ) If its is available, and if so ( b ) how do I get it? OR ( c ) When is it due to appear?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Don't think its available for WP8 yet .. and since we can't speculate about its availability, only wait and watch ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
devilinside123

I read last week on betalabs that it should be available soon (they were speaking about a release for WP8 in the next 2-3 weeks) but of course dont know if all regions (languages) etc.

So, stay tuned i'd say and watch out the Nokia collection every now and then :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Charlie55

Thanks for the replies, I'll guess its just "sit and wait" time :smileyhappy:

But I was just confused by the fact that it appears to be in the WP8 store - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/play-to/2323aea2-6fd8-4593-8d6c-6e8f17eb0821 - unless I've misunderstood something? (probably :smileyhappy: )

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Charlie55 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I'll guess its just "sit and wait" time :smileyhappy:

But I was just confused by the fact that it appears to be in the WP8 store - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/play-to/2323aea2-6fd8-4593-8d6c-6e8f17eb0821 - unless I've misunderstood something? (probably :smileyhappy: )

That's the WP 7.5 version. There isn't a seperate store for WP8 so apps for either 7.x or 8 appear in the same store. The only caveat is that when accessing the store from your phone only the apps compatible with your phone will appear.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Charlie55

Thanks for the info.

As you can probably guess, I'm new to Windows Phone and only had it for a week or so.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

No worries Charlie. Hope you're enjoying your 620. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I've been using an app called myMediaHub for a few weeks now and it works well. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

Beta "Play To for WP8" app now available at Nokia Betalabs.

Play To application will require following firmware or greater in order to work:

• Nokia Lumia 920 - PR1.1 (1232.5951.1249.0001)
  • Nokia Lumia 820 - PR1.1 (1232.5951.1249.0001)
  • Nokia Lumia 822 - PR1.1
  • Nokia Lumia 810 - PR1.1
  • Nokia Lumia 620 - Any firmware

In case you don't have correct firmware, please ensure you update the firmware when it is available for your device.

Limitations

Play To doesn't yet work as a digital media server, so unfortunately it won't work with PS3.This is a feature we plan to introduce in some future release. Streaming of music is also limited to local content which is stored on the device.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Charlie55

[ Edited ]

93tid, cjlim and rayhipkiss,

again thanks for the responses. Its useful to have a place to ask questions when its all new (to me).

I'll investigate. TVM.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Charlie55

Thanks for the suggestions, I've given them a try out now.

I could not get the 'mymediahub' app to do what I wanted (play my pics and videos from the phone onto my DLNA TV), so I joined the Beta app and tried the 'Play to' beta.

Play to, seems to do what I want i.e. by setting it up (easy enough) I can connect my phone to my TV via my network and show the pictures on the TV. That worked a treat. However, when I went to play video, although I had sound and video it was like a slide show and not smooth at all.

I'm connecting wirelessly ( the router reports 39Mbps) from the phone to the router, and then via some highspeed internet 'power cable' links from the router to the TV. According to the router these devices connect at 100Mb. This 'power cable' set up works OK to watch HD video from things like BBC iPlayer just fine.

Any ideas what/where I need to check to get smooth video from the phone?

Has anyone tried this beta app on their Lumia 620s, if so did video work?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

myMediaHub is for controlling the steming of movies from a network storage device such as your NAS to a DLNA enabled player, such as your TV. If you want to play media from your phone then use PlayTo. 

I have been streaming HD over my network for 3 years now. From personal experience, getting a steady connection wifi on 2.4ghz wireless is almost impossible. There is just too much interference from mobile phones, cordless phones, neighbouring wifi etc etc. Even though your speedtest is showing 39mbps, it probably can't maintain those speeds. What I have been using successfully is the 5ghz wifi band dedicated to my audiovisual devices. There are no other wifi's on 5ghz within range. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Charlie55

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not sure what I can do then if thats correct.

All I can say is the router claims a 39Mbps connection, and a speedtest from the phone using a speed check app reported 21.7Mbps for the phone. I don't have kit to check for noise and other connections, apart from the fact that there are 3 or 4 other wireless networks reported by my other wireless device and my phone - as expected.

I set the phone to WVGA and made a quick test video, that stuttered as well. Not as bad it must be said, but far from smooth.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You should be able to do a simple check for free. Download and install an app called inSSIDer on either a Windows pc or an Android device. You can then use that to monitor the frequency.

The stuttering when playing the video on your screen could be due to video performance on the phone. This should not affect the streaming which only involves the phone transferring data to the tv. Like I said earlier, I have not been able to achieve reliable results streaming 1080 on the standard 2.4ghz band even though I am clocking theoratical bandwidth up to 300mbps. My suggestion is to get a dual-band router if you intend to stream HD regularly over wifi. Why not get one from Argos to try and return it if it do the job. :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Charlie55

The phone I have is a Lumia 620 which does WVGA and 720p video. Both stutter but the 720p is slightly worse I'd say. But not a lot in it.

They play fine on the phone itself, just stutter when trying to play via "play to" on the DNLA TV via my network.

I've tried different channels (quite a few from the choices I have 1-13) and 'automatic'. Made little or no difference.

I'll have a look at inSSIDer, it'll have to be on Windows as I dont have an Android phone, just the new WP8 Lumia.

Once again thanks for the pointers.

Please use plain text.