Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 620

Advisor
simphonique6760
Accepted Solution

Lumia 620

Hello,

I just bought a Lumia 620. I was thinking if Lumia phones have shortcuts to getting the phone to go into "Silent" mode. I am too used to the traditional symbian phones, such that I need a shortcut like this. Any tips?

Anyway, I have downloaded a shortcut for connectivity and such (not too short for a shortcut!). I can't find any "silent mode" shortcuts on the market.

I would like to suggest to Nokia that a ringtone volume slider be available for the ringtone settings. Could this be possible? Speaking of ringtones, the windows ringtones are wonderful!

I understand that this phone is running on a different OS. Perhaps, Nokia could look into the needs of those who are extremely seasoned with the traditional Nokia phone settings. :smileyhappy:

Best regards!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

do you know that if you press any of the volume buttons, you can change it from Ring+Vibrate to Vibrate, which is effectively silent mode (with Vibrate though). if you want Silent, then go into the Settings > Ringtones + sounds, and turn Vibrate to Off, and then Silent will appear on the screen.

as for your suggestions, as this is a Windows Phone backbone, you will need to leave your suggestion with them, over at http://windowsphone.uservoice.com

Anyways, i do hope you are enjoying your 620 and WP8 experience, like i have been with my 920, having switched over from my N8! :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Actually, just tapping the ringer icon visible when you tap a volume key will silence the ringer..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

just said that, explaining the modes in detail so that the OP can locate them in their new perusal of WP8 in the move from Symbian.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
simphonique6760

Hi Hi!!

Thanks for your reply! Now I can easily turn off the ringer! Just realised that this is also possible (fingering on volume rocker keys) while at the lock screen.

Well, I do like my white Nokia Lumia 620...nice cute design, nice ringtones, great apps, good battery life and lovely interface. The call quality is very good!! The ring tone volume is loud and clear...louder than my 701. However, I find the phone gets too warm very easily especially when using apps with mobile data turned on (warmer than my 701...ooh hot!) and at times, the camera does not work. :smileysad:

Never mind, I still have my Nokia 701 to double up as a camera and video-cam. (8 MP lense and blinding flash light!!)

The strange thing is that video clips cannot be sent via whatsapp, but then again, it's a third party problem...have to write to whatsapp company!

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
simphonique6760

Oh, I forgot...there's something that I miss so badly from the past line up of Nokia phones....the NOTIFICATION Blinking Lights!!

Perhaps this could be a feedback or a special request for windows...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

As per posts on this Forum, the feature has been already suggested..but you may add your voice over HERE

Please use plain text.
Advisor
simphonique6760

Thank you Farby!

I have read the windows forum and voted accordingly. I also miss having the "Apps Lock" 3rd party app. Only available in the OVi store. Cannot find it in the windows market place.

Well, if many nokia users have missed the features in the past line up of Nokia devices such as notifications lights, screen savers and ringer profiles, that means Nokia had done a great job designing the symbian based phones. LOL...perhaps!!

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Hi! I have a 620 too, I do miss the notif lights on my xm5530 too haha!
Btw have you check the image quality? Is it too soft?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
simphonique6760

Heys!!

I've tried the camera of the Lumia 620. The main camera's images seem averagely clear to me. Not bad...for a 5 MP lense.

Then again, I often use my Nokia 701 most of the time for the camera and video functions. However, both models (701 and 620) perform badly for extremely close up shots of pictures or text. The front facing cameras aren't that super too.

Well, perhaps we also cannot expect a fantastic camera performance from a low-cost Lumia model. Maybe bigger models like 820 and 920 will not disappoint. What do you think? Perhaps you could let me understand your point of view.

Enjoy your 620!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Have you tried to zoom in the image? My images seemed sharp without zooming, but once i zoom in, i was disappointed. It's very soft, i would say a little blur when i take picture of my notes.

Sometimes i think to myself, i own a 620, not a 920, but if i compare to my old 5530 xpressmusic, i still feel disappointed. It's sharp, while my new baby is so soft in images quality. What do you think?

Well i can't argue about the front camera, its already a surprise for me when i realized there is a front camera on 620! Hahaha
Please use plain text.
Advisor
simphonique6760

Hey,

Thanks for your point of view. I did try to zoom in as advised. The image is unacceptably soft. Looks like we have to rely on our old Nokia devices for a good camera experience. I noticed that there are some camera 3rd party apps on the Marketplace. Will those help our 620 perform better in terms of camera zoom? Or will it be doom and gloom with the 5MP lens of the lumia baby?

Well, there was a day in January when I saw a Lumia sales staff demonstrating the camera function on his 920. He showed me many amazing things that the 920's camera could do. The images were clear. He did zoom in/out too. The price to pay for good images!

The Lumia 620 phone reminds me of the Samsung Galaxy Ace, which is a very affordable, budget type of android smartphone. I used to own one. At least our Lumia baby allows us to zoom in while the Galaxy Ace lacks that function. A 3rd party app such as "Camera FX" had to be downloaded to allow the user to zoom in. The zooming in quality was disappointing too. That experience somehow led me to conclude that price goes with camera quality. I used to have an ace 2. It allows the user to zoom in/out. However, I cannot recall the quality of the zoomed images as the phone was sent for repairs after 2 weeks from the date of purchase. Got rid of it thereafter.

Although I have used both the ace and ace 2 galaxy models, I feel that the Lumia 620 is better than those two in terms of mobile phone usage - better call quality, functional ring tones and no call drops at all. This is a personal comparison of brands within a similar price range.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Hi,
I have tried to use ProShot app, it has a manual focus, but it's still the same. And I came across some discussion, and some of the 920 have the sharpness problem too, so I suppose this is a sharpness problem. And the sharpness setting is not there, so they might need to send an update to fix this. What do you think?

I see, luckily I didn't consider Samsung as my new phone, hahaha

I agree about price goes with camera quality, but for me, 620 with this kind of image quality is unacceptable. Well you are right, we need to rely on our old symbian phones to take good pictures. But if they could fix this sharpness problem, wouldn't it be great? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tangogolf

Just wondered if anyone else had this:

I put a new sim in my new paygo 620. Asked o2 to change my number from my old phone to the new sim. This has been done and the new phone rings etc. The small glitch is that when I enter settings screen at the bottom of the call page the "My phone number" that is displayed is the one that was on the sim when I put it in the phone - not the number that the phone now uses ie my old number. I cannot seem to change this. Is it normal? Would a phone reset change it? Any info much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

That's a sim/network issue, not a problem with the phone. My old virgin sim had the same issue when I transferred a different number to it on my previous android phone.

All you can do is ask your network to do a sim swap where they'll send you a new one that should correctly show your number once activated.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
simphonique6760

Hi Elvin,

I agree with you.

Hopefully Windows or Nokia will send a software update to fix the "zoom gloom" problem, ie, if it is a software issue. Not everyone would be as fortunate as us to own a good old symbian camera smartphone to complement with their new Lumia 620. Carrying 2 phones around can be such a bother at times.

Nevertheless, let's try to enjoy using our Lumia 620 despite the zoom gloom! LOL!

Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

About shooting of close-ups on Lumia 620, have you tried changing the scenes to Close-Up on the camera settings? This will improve the sharpness on shooting objects that are less than 20 cm from your camera.
If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Hi simphonique6760, yes let's enjoy 620 :smileyhappy:

Hi JackMerson, I always change the scene to close-up mode, but still soft.
Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

Have you removed the protective cover on its camera?

If you have it removed, do not focus anything less than 10cm! Sure it will get through but it can't hold the focus for long. Focus only within 10 cm or more.
If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

If I press "Phone"  then "settings" , at the top of the screen it says "My Phone Number", but the number is not mine and there seems to be no way to change it. I had the phone brand new out of the box and have never had any other sim card in it. 

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Please use plain text.