Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 635 - Can't create FOLDERS from tiles on...

latelifebiker
Accepted Solution

Lumia 635 - Can't create FOLDERS from tiles on Start page.

I am unable to combine tiles to form folders of similar topics on my Start page.  I followed the example shown in the little video posted in the user's manual, but it simply doesn't work as shown.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Lumia 635 - Can't create FOLDERS from tiles on Start page.

You need to have Windows 8.1 update 1 Developer preview installed for this. That is OS version 8.10.14147.180

(Settings > about > more information)

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
latelifebiker

Thanks for the suggestion, but my efforts to get a download of that version of the OS from Nokia.com earned me ASSURANCES from a very nice lady, apparently in Calcutta, that the "folders" function is totally UNavaikable on the Lumia 635.  This despite the fact that I LEARNED of that function in onscreen information  titled "How to Set Up Your Windows Phone" that came with my Lumia 635. She suggested I go to The Store and download an app that did not do nearly what the Set Up panphlet described.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Not sure what pamphlet you describe but I doubt it is an official document seeing how folders are a part of a yet unreleased update for Windows Phone 8.1 which is currently ONLY available to devices which have been prepared to receive the Developer preview of this update.

Care to share a scan of photo of this document here? I'm pretty sure it is not official.

You can't download that OS from Nokia.com as it has _nothing_ to do with Nokia and is ONLY an update to the OS portion and NOT the firmware. Let alone Nokia no longer has ANYTHING to do with Lumia phones as the whole division was bought by Microsoft.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
latelifebiker

Looks pretty official to me.  The trail STARTS at  http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia635/ 

then proceeds to   http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8 

and ends up describing How To us FOLDERS at

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/everything-goes-back-to-st...

THAT's where you'll see the animated  How To video guide represented in the attachment below.

I really don't make this **bleep** up. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

The pages you refer to CLEARLY state:

Note

To create folders on your Start screen, you need to have Windows Phone 8.1 Update installed on your phone. Check to see which version you have and find out if an update is available.

So, as I have now mention twice to you, you need to have the Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 1 update Developer Preview installed to get folders..

So yes, you're not making this up but you are certainly missing some vital information on the same page(s)

---

Please use plain text.
latelifebiker

[ Edited ]

Why, yes you have "mentioned it TWICE." And neither time did you suggest where that upgrade might be gotten. When I pointed out that Nokia... the Microsoft people who still go by that name... had no idea what I was talking about, I got another what-a-**bleep** eye roll and a suggestion that I had never seen the Microsoft/Nokia instruction page that you've managed cleverly to ignore.

The truth of the matter is this: There's a whole lot more to being an online advisor than just dazzling people with your BS.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, the powers that be here at Nokia Support Discussions do not allow us to link to the pages explaining where and how to get the Developer Preview which is why I did not do so.

That said however, you have heard of this thing called Google right? I'd suggest you try it, you may just find what you need ..

---

Please use plain text.