Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 720 screen cracked. No touch pad available a...

Advisor
anupammehta
Accepted Solution

Lumia 720 screen cracked. No touch pad available at Nokia care

Hey

I live in Hyderabad, India.

I got my Lumia 720 on 19th april, 2013. It had been a month and 10 days when on 29th may it fell from a certain height (around six feet) on a rubber mat on a hard cemented floor and the screen cracked(yeah...it has got a "Guerilla Glass 2").

Went to the nearest authorized Nokia Care (Satyam Electronics) the same day. They said that as it has been almost a month only since the launch of 720 in India so they don't have the touch pad available right now.

They suggested me to contact other nokia care centers or to wait for 10-15 days to get the servicing done from there only.

No other center was having the touch pad. Seeing no other option i gave the handset to these guys only.

They said they'll inform me about the costing, as soon as they get the price quotes, before moving ahead with the servicing.

Now it had already been a week and they had not informed me about the cost so I called them up.

They said that they still have to get the price quotes and I'll have to wait 6-7 days more to get an update from them.

What the hell is this?? Mobile's parts should be available at Nokia Care after the launch or a month after the launch of any handset.

How long do I have to wait till the touch pad is available?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Re: Lumia 720 screen cracked. No touch pad available at Nokia care

If you think about it, a possible reason why the parts are not yet available is because they are instead being used to manufacture new units.

Parts will probably become available when the demand for new units goes down. The model is not exclusively released in your country.

Gorilla Glass can break, even the manufacturer says so. It is not invinsible.

"Can I break Gorilla Glass?
If subjected to enough abuse, Gorilla Glass can break. However, Gorilla Glass is better able to survive the real-world events that most commonly cause glass to scratch, chip, or break."

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/faqs/all

You also have to keep in mind that there are no official Nokia advertisements saying that any of the Lumia Phone models are shatter proof or unbreakable.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anupammehta

what you say about the gorilla glass, i agree with that...it's scratch resistant, not crack resistant.

but it has been exclusively released here and is available at every nokia priority and other stores as well. the parts should be available

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kalsudheer

My Lumia 720 even fell down from a 2 feet high and it is completely cracked. When tried to replace it, They are asking 50% of mobile cost.  I was shocked to hear that i have to spend 50% of the amount for only glass.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anupammehta

that's too much!!

[ Edited ]

50% of the cost?? seriously???

i will be better off buying any of the local android phones then any lumia phone, if that's the case.

even apple customer care charges 30% of the original cost but not 50%.

then what did you do eventually?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Re: that's too much!!

[ Edited ]

uh, it is not exclusive there, it is also available in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, etc.

There are additional costs when you have something repaired, not just the parts.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anupammehta

digitizer or complete assembly replacement

it has been more than 20 days now and the nokia people still haven't given me any update.

so, i did some research myself. there are two options-

1) the screen was cracked but the touch was working fine. the lcd didn't had any cracks. so, does that mean that i can just go with replacing the digitizer? would that be a wiser and cheaper option, considering the lcd display is fine?

replacing the digitizer will cost around 2200 Rs (the device costed me 18,500 Rs)

2) going with the digitizer+lcd assembly which will cost 9000 Rs (around 50% of the cost of the device.)

if i go with option 1, i'll have to get it replaced from a service center other than nokia as the nokia guys would only do a complete digitizer+assembly replacement.

which would be a wiser thing to do? please suggest.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Re: digitizer or complete assembly replacement

The technicians are like doctors, you don't tell them what tofix.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
anupammehta

i won't tell them what to fix...jeez!!! i'm just thinking of a cheaper and better way if there is any.

if they say that in this phone the digitizer and lcd are fixed together than obviously it would be wiser to go with complete assembly replacement...if they are not fixed together then why shouldn't i go with replacing the digitizer only if it worked for many others facing the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Sarada

I dropped my phone today from a height of 4-6 inches and the "Gorrila glass" is cracked. Can you tell me how much it costed you to repair your phone??

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

it only takes a drop of 4-6 inches (less than a palm's length) to ruin a fabulously nice fone :/ pitty. that's why im looking for a leather case for mine.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hari9

Hi anupammehta ,
Did you replace the screen ?
Even i have a broken 720 screen,Kindly reply with the cost details .
Thanx in advance :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
anupammehta

Hey,

I got the assembly replaced. I costed me 8000 rupees

It's possible that you might get it replaced in a price lower than that. I had a long chat with the Center manager a day before I got the phone back.

It's working fine now. I got an AMZER rubber case for it from flipkart. It's good.
http://www.flipkart.com/amzer-95687-tpu-hybrid-case/p/itmdkhpuhfs5zwsg

But yeah, my next phone is not gonna be any windows OS phone. Microsoft has made the OS strictly mediocre.

A lot of features, that are taken for granted in other Mobile OSs, aren't there in windows OS.

Just my opinion.

All the best.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
evandroarruda

Hi anupammehta, have you already solved your problem? I'm also thinking of buying just a digitizer to save some money, has it worked for you?

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anupammehta

Hello evandroarruda.

As stated above, I got the assembly replaced which means digitizer + lcd display.

In 720 the digitizer and lcd are fixed together. So, I'd suggest to go with assembly replacement as replacing the digitizer only might affect it's callibration with the lcd display.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anupsantosh

[ Edited ]

yasfer21 wrote:

uh, it is not exclusive there, it is also available in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, etc.

There are additional costs when you have something repaired, not just the parts.

hello everyone, my nokia lumia 720 touch screen broken (it fell down from my hand). now i dont understand why this can not be covered under warranty. morever nokia guys are saying that after this damage if in future my mobile 

gets some other issue it will not be covered under warranty. is it true please inform me

Moderator's Note: The post was edited because the e-mail address was removed. It is not advisable to post any personal information on a public forum.

Please use plain text.
sudanstha

i was using a so called smart phone nokia lumia720 for 2 mnths in kathmandu nepal. one day it just slipped off my hand  to ground leading a severe crashed screen however the display was working fine. i went to many repair centres here non of which has its solution. on the other side the replacement cost of this whole thing is just half the cost of mobile phone. now do i have to travel all the way to india just to fix it, making the cost double. **bleep** of with this phone. plz suggest me some other solutions if any?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HriteshSaha

How much will be the cost of digitizer of lumia 520

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
asincole

My Lumia 720 dropped... Luckily it dint break😊... But since it fell I made made only one successful call other people I call can't hear what I say, they don't even hear background noise... And the phone update just came out.... Is this happening because my phone fell or because I haven't downloaded the update.... If its because the phone fell, what can I do pls.... NB I can record voice. With recorder app I have and I hear what I said while recording, so am sure my phones mic is not spoilt... Pls someone should reply asap as its frustrating.. Tnx
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Satzv

it cost around 6,500/-  :'(:'(

Please use plain text.