Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 8/920 feature-before-purchase-question

Contributor
talmarsh

Lumia 8/920 feature-before-purchase-question

Hello,

1. I wanted to ask any new gen Lumia owners/mods - does the messaging via windows (nokia suite) work for you?

2. Has anyone tried using the old - and far better - PC Suite communicator (i.e. message program)?

This is ONLY thing holding me from buying the 820 - and nokia support is not answering :-\

Regards,

Tal.

P.S. The forum spell checker does not recognize the word Lumia hi hi :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

NO..

In fact the Nokia Suite and the Nokia PC Suite are NOT compatible with the Lumia series..

Hence even to sync your Media / Image files you either need the Windows Phone application or do it thru' the Windows explorer on Windows 7 or 8 PC. To back-up other details like contacts, Messages, Calendar, etc you need to use the Cloud based service (SkyDrive)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
talmarsh

What? This is awful..
Is there an alternative for messaging via PC?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Don't think so ..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

I send quite a few text messages, did so on my 800 and now 920.

Quick to type some directly on phone, or use speech to text. Alternatively, I've typed in 'Onenote' on PC/Skydrive, which is then sycned to phone where I use cut and paste.

Depends on circumstances.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
talmarsh

Unfortunately, the phone's for my mom.
Her work is mostly infront of a computer, and uses A LOT of texting.
She's using a very old XpressMusic with old touch -- she can't get anything else because of long-nails!

Thought the new lumias could solve it all :-\
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

She's probably like an 820 or 920 because the sensitive screens on them are designed to accept input by fingernails or even gloves.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

[ Edited ]

I would think about getting an n8, its not a big jump, the touch is decent, and you can still type with pc.

There are quite a few features that are not included in the new phone that the xpress music has.

If you did want to get a lumia, you can always return in in 14 days if it isnt working out.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
talmarsh

The problem is that all new(er) devices have a capacitive display which she cannot use :-\

Thanks for trying to help guys.. I guess this battle is lost..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

talmarsh wrote:

The problem is that all new(er) devices have a capacitive display which she cannot use :-\

Thanks for trying to help guys.. I guess this battle is lost..

I know its not ideal, there is technically no phone (nokia) that would work.

It would have to be a choice between, the touch screen and the way it interacts with a pc. the 8/920 basically acts like a memory card/flash drive atm. thats basically it.

There may be annother make out there that has the combination you would want.

Please use plain text.