Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 BBC iplayer

bsfweb

Lumia 800 BBC iplayer

Much has been written about the conflict between Windows 7 for mobile phones and BBC iplayer, but the stuff seems short on practical solutions.

Can anyone help?

Is PLEX app (£4) a viable option.....I can't seem tp work out how to 'add server'.

Any better solutions?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

I'm not clear how Plex works but I assume it involves having a home or office PC running permanently so you can stream from it but it doesn't seem to be anything like a standalone app.

I don't think there is any option other than lobbying MS to allow an Apple type app or the BBC to make one.

The BBC has dropped support for older Symbian phones and certain Blackberry and Samsung phones as they represented only a tiny share of iplayer users and they didn't want the cost of supporting phones only used by a small number of users. If Windows increases its market share they might.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

BBC iPlyer works flawlessly through PLEX. I use it constantly and gives me access to all the media on my NAS at home as well as many, many streaming channels. Sure it requires you to stream media from the server at home, but that is IMO a small price to pay for what it offers you.

Obviously it requires a fast internet connection at home.

The BBC seems to have no interest for whatever reason to support Windows Phone as there is no technial reason why the can't . IF they claime there is they are simply lying as an app like Plex shows it is very simple indeed.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I don't think they have said it's a technical reason .The reason they gave on their website for dropping the older phones was cost, to avoid having to support multiple platforms as they don't charge for the app.

I haven't the faintest idea how much it would cost them. There's a post on here on this subject saying the player still works on Symbian but I can't see how it can as they seem to have dropped all Nokia phones. Basically they only have an iPhone app since the Android version is really just a link to the website and is relying on Flash.

It's good you have got it to work via Plex but that's not a solution for everyone, for example I don't even know what an NAS sever is let alone how that would work.

If it really is cost they could charge for it. I'd be happy to pay a couple of quid for it. I suspect they will do nothing until Flash is completely dead and they are forced to.

Other than that it'll be down to pester power. If there are any Windows apps developers reading these forums perhaps you could make one? I think a paid for BBC app would be a big seller. I'd buy it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

BBC has no interest in developing for Windows Phone. That or they have other reasons besides technical ones (which do not exist) to not have support.

As they have an app for iOS they likely have trans-coding servers online anyway. And since new Android phones also no longer have Flash the same goes for those now. They do not to support Windows Phone by choice and for no other reason.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.