Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 Cannot Download a single App from Market...

Advisor
Hero33

Lumia 800 Cannot Download a single App from Marketplace using phone app or push from net

Hello,

I've just bought a Lumia 800 on July 20, 2012 from a retailer in the Philippines and am using it in the same.

I downloaded Zune for Windows 7 on my dual boot mac. I downloaded all updates till Zune said there was no more available on the Windows 7 partition. It succesfully installed. I am up to date according to the latest firmware as noted on Nokia firmware and MS OS as of today.

I have not been able to download a single app since I got the phone. I use the marketplace app on the phone and have also tried "pushing" the app from the marketplace on Firefox/Chrome on my Mac and PC.

The phone goes to marketplace downloads, says "Pending" starts to says "Downloading 0%" till it says "Tap here" then I have to retry download. Been trying this all night, and have been reseting the phone by holding the button below the volume control till the phone says "Goodbye" then I boot it up and the same still happens.

I've also tried a hard reset, formatting to factory settings. That did not let me download a single app either. Since I needed the phone, I restored my data. I have been using a wifi connection with broadband at home. I can surf IE on the phone, check mail, but the marketplace has always been off for the few days I've owned the darn thing. I can open the marketplace app, I can see apps, I can browse them, and I can click install, reinstall (for some reason Windows Live thinks its already installed).  

Am I missing something? I tried cancelling all other downloads except Whatsapp and still no dice. I've cancelled all downloads, restarted and tried again and to this day, I have an app phone that can't get apps from it's own marketplace.

I tried setting my windows live ID to jive with my region and language, all the same, US or Philippine english, nothing.

I've tried writing emails to Nokia Philippines support and after typing all this they just told me to 1. open marketplace app, 2. Click Download (Arrgghhhh talk about canned STUPID RESPONSES, the guy obviously did not read my email that I did the same.)

Please help me. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

Re: Lumia 800 Cannot Download a single App from Marketplace using phone app or push from net

And to add details,

my Windows Live ID was created using the phone. I tried my Xbox Live ID just to be sure (although I doubt it'd work since it most likely would create a conflict of region being US based) yet, I have an "app-less" phone, except for the defaults. My App-le phone has many apps.

Forgive my frustration, I can't seem to find marketplace status for my region but most of it points to being up.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Lumia 800 Cannot Download a single App from Marketplace using phone app or push from net

Hi Hero33,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

With your LiveID, do you use this for mail as well. Do you have a working internet connection on the phone otherwise?

As you are able to access the Marketplace and select apps it seems something else is not working right. Marketplace is a Microsoft service however so I would suggest you try their support line as they would possibly have more information on your access to the marketplace.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

Thanks for the quick reply Kosh.

The live ID works for email. I've had the option checked and it works fine, I can send, receive to the address created on the phone and designated as the primary ID. In fact, the Windows Live ID at account.live.com recognizes the Lumia as attached to the account.

I have a working internet connection via wifi in the house which lets me use the default apps (maps, weather etc.) and is most probably working with my carrier because it can pinpoint my location to an eerily accurate degree (moreso than my iphone).

I've emailed their support but I'm praying for a miracle here as well.

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

[ Edited ]

This is just for public consumption:

After a long chat with Microsoft Live Support reiterating the same things I've said in this post I got this:

Monica D.: ok thanks at this stage you did all the steps possible to fix the issue .and did not get a god result I can suggest you to escalated this issue to the Engineering team to have a look for this issue for you.

Moderators: Baseless remark removed as conversation above was with Microsoft and not Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

Just to keep things updated, after chats with Microsoft support, chats with Nokia support, numerous emails back and forth to Nokia email support and uploading and sharing to Nokia a video of the phone showing compliance with all their suggestions and continuous failure to download even just one free app, I have been informed that Microsoft and Nokia, have referred the problem to their engineering or "higher" department and will contact me soon. Day 3 of this brand new app phone app less to be continued but hopefully resolved before this lemon drives me nuts.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Hero33,

Thanks for your feedback.

Have your tried creating a new LiveID at http://live.com and after resetting the Lumia (Settings>About>reset your phone) signing on with this new account?

If you do not have any problems accessing the internet on the phone there is no reason I can see why you should not be able to access the Marketplace as well.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

Hi kosh, Yes I have done a hard reset even at the risk of losing all my contacts. I've also tried creating a new live ID to sign in after the hard reset was made. Sadly such did not work so I eventually just restored my contacts. I find it disappointing that groups does not sync so if ever I do need to change live IDs I'll have to remake all the groups again. Such is the loss of a loyal Nokia customer who has to pay for Symbian going and ms entering. I find it odd that I would even have to create a new live account as the one already designated as the primary account attached to the phone was created upon first boot of the phone. But I guess there's no loss trying one more time since accounts are free. I'll have to do it some other time as I am currently mobile and had to leave the phone cause the total lack of apps has rendered it insufficient for my needs. I will update the forum once Nokia and/or Microsoft contacts me. Really hoping they just replace the darn thing since I bought the phone open line out of carrier making this feel more of a waste, and I wouldn't want a phone like this sent for repair this fresh or given a refurb.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

Sorry for the lack of spaces or paragraphs, my mobile shows them as spaced but when I click post they come out as one paragraph.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

Ps, kudos though to the mods here. I appreciate the active responses. Hopefully this is resolved and you'll be able to archive this thread.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

I have just been contacted by Aika (sp) of Nokia to inform me my problem has been elevated to level 3 for investigation.

I pretty much repeated everything I said here plus more I've said via direct email with them.

Although the functioning as an app phone disappoints me as a loyal Nokia fan, I still think the phone is well designed and appreciate the speed and attention to after sales I've been receiving.

Still hopeful for a solution within the week.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hero33

After having had continuous follow ups by Nokia support stopping only on Sunday to assure me they are on the case, they called me now to inform me that having seen the video I made showing them the problems of the phone, they said that they believe I have tried all the possible steps available to solve my problem. This was from their engineering department as relayed to me by the customer care representative. Being such, they said my only recourse for this was to send the phone to a Nokia care center and gave me a a nearby address. They acknowledged the inconvenience of losing possession of a brand new phone and suggested I bring it in anyway and that my wait would depend on the queue available at the care center at the time of drop off. Oh well, at least I tried. Since the solutions given here may be of worth to those with similar problems I suggest you try it if it happens to you. I guess this thread can be archived now. Thanks for all the supportive responses.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Amandeep_dhiman

i am facing the same problem and believe me it is irritating a nokia person saying that it is not our fault and that of microsoft and vice versa. i have done everything nokia and microsoft told me to do and it all ended up them blaming each other. can anyone help me installing an application on my lumia 800??????????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Windows Phone Marketplace is managed and maintained by Microsoft and Nokia has no access to it's management tools at all. Issues with Marketplace should be addressed through its own support.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.