Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 Completely Dead

Lumia 800 Completely Dead

My Lumia 800, which has been running just fine (albeit with usual battery issues) completely died on me this morning.

As I left the house, the battery was reading just over 50%. When I pulled my phone out my pocket 20 minutes later, it was off and wouldn't turn on again.

I've since had it plugged into the wall charger for 2 hours, but it refuses to come to life.

Any thoughts before I take it back for a replacement? It's hugely annoying because I don't have any spare phones that take a micro-SIM, just regular SIMs.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Only suggestions I can offer....

Make sure you are using the supplied USB charger as older Nokia chargers don't always have enough power.

Try a battery reset (hold down power key and volume key and wait for 3 buzzes from the vibra)

Change the USB cable in case it is damaged and check that the USB connection on the phone side looks OK.

Failing that it is back to Nokia care.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Seems like a fairly common issue:

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979

Self-help most likely will not fix the underlying root cause/problem.

Please use plain text.

Thanks for the reply and the link to the other thread. Have tried all the combinations of charger, cable, laptop USB etc to no avail for over 3 hours.

Had the following Twitter discussion (@TimCreswick) with @NokiaHelps:

@NokiaHelps @nokia_uk My Lumia 800 died this morning. Details here /t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-Completely-Dead/td-p/1272955 I presume you want me to return it to @Phones4u?

@TimCreswick so before attempting to switch on the device. The device will vibrate when it has enough power. Let me know how that goes ^LA

@NokiaHelps Pls look at the link (/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-Completely-Dead/td-p/1272955) Already had it hooked up to power supply for >1hr. Batt was 50% just before it died.

@TimCreswick to solve this issuem after 10 mins hold down power button for 8 secs, do you have the cable at hand? ^LA

@NokiaHelps Yes has been plugged into my laptop using the original cable for 20 mins. Holding power button for 8-10 seconds does nothing...

@TimCreswick Hi, Keep trying periodically, it should vibrate and then come back on. ^HM

@NokiaHelps been trying exactly that every 20-30 mins for last 3 hours. In the mean time, I can't make/receive calls.

@TimCreswick Hey Tim, sorry about that, best thing would be return your device to place of purchase as soon as possible. ^LA

Maybe that helps someone. In the mean time I'm going to take it back and get an exchange.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
VoodooKing

At the moment, the battery readout is unreliable. Even though it shows you a 50% charge and that you can't start it up, the battery's really at 0%.

Do not connect it to the laptop USB. It takes a long while for the phone to start.

Connect it to the wall socket and it should start up in a few minutes.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
empathyvirus

Apparently this issue has been plaguing the new Lumia 800. I had someone bring in a brand new cyan one from Hong Kong just a few days ago. And it died on me 20 minutes ago when it showed the battery was still half full. I plugged it in for a long time to no avail. Panicked a little and thank god I googled it and found the info from all of you guys suffering from the same issue. The three key holding down reset worked on mine. It restarted. However, this is unacceptable. Nokia should come up with a software fix quick before we all switch to other phones for good. They really should take good care of the not so many hardcore fans they have left.   

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thesedays74

Hold camera and volume buttons down, and the press the power button. Hold for a few seconds and release. 

Do this a few times and it will boot back up and recover.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stigzy

[ Edited ]

Arrghh, I've just encountered this problem - glad it's not just me!

Just before it happened my Lumia wasn't synchronising e-mail accounts. It was only synchronising Facebook and Twitter feeds. I tried re-synchronising them, left it to do its thing, then went back to unlock it about 5 minutes later and it had completely froze. I tried powering it off and unlocking it but nothing worked. I went back to it about 5 minutes later and it had turned off and wouldn't switch back on :/!

Holding the power & the volume increase button down for about 10 seconds and then switching to power & volume decrease button seemed to do the trick. I never got this with my 3210!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

Me too. Just got home and battery level was around 80% which is usual for this time of day. Switched on wifi and it died. Plugging it in and the pressing all the buttons trick brought it back to life after 10 minutes on charger. Battery now at 90%. This isn't really good enough. This happened at home does but does this mean I need to carry a spare phone around ? The plugging it and rebooting is not an option during the day.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AmberH

Mines done exactly the same, ive been charging it for 4 hours using a range of USB chords and the phone still wont work. This has happened before but it turned on after i battery re set it 30 mins later. Ive tried heating it, ive tried all the button combinations and ive tried all my chargers? any last ditch advice?
Please use plain text.