Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 - Downloading pictures to a PC?

Counsellor
FunkyDunc

Lumia 800 - Downloading pictures to a PC?

Ok stating to get used to my Lumia 800, its good points its bad points and its dam annoying points.

One for today, how can I easily and quickly down load pictures to my PC?  I dont want to load my personal photos to Sky Drive but I can see this is the only way to do it.

So I have done that and come across the following problems.

1.  There is no multiple select option in the Lumia's cameroll thing so you have to action any delete/share individually a real pain!! 

2. So after faffing all photos were loaded in to Sky Drive.  I've now been waiting some 30 minutes or so for the photos to download off Sky Drive on to my PC.

SUrely this can not be the easiest way to do it.  My old HTC Desire would take a max of 5 mins to download many more pictures and videos...

Any advice?  Ta

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Lumia 800 - Downloading pictures to a PC?

Why not just use the microsoft zune software? If you use that new photo's are transferred to the PC when ever you connect the phone.

Its very quick and easy to use.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Easiest way is to either sync or drag and drop using Zune on your pc. You can also set up a wifi sync at home, and in your photo application on the phone for camera roll you can set to auto upload ( press the three dots on the bottom right hand corner. Best solution is to sync with zune in my opinion !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Carman58, have you checked the pics you've auto uploaded? You might be in for a surprise.

I don't recommend using it as a way of storing or transferring pictures.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
FunkyDunc

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've seen the auto upload, but I assume it uses which ever data connection is available ie would use 3G if available?  That would easily eat all my data allowance.

Ok myabe a dum question, but if I use Zune, does that hold my photos some where online, or is it purely straight to my PC?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The zune software stores them on you PC only, doesn't touch the internet.

Auto upload will use 3G, but the biggest flaw is that it uploads a far smaller version if the pic, not the original full size picture.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

@psychomania , first sorry for the stereo reply :smileytongue: second only mentioned auto upload as an alternative , never usede it myself, always use zune, just tring to make OP aware of options I knew of :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I know but unfortunately its not a real option due to the way it shrinks photo's to a size that's useless for many things, such as printing.

Its certainly not an option for permanently keeping the original pictures. Fortunately I spotted early on that it was shrinking them to mobile data friendly sizes.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Lets hope an option comes to use skydrive or dropbox to upload the full size file, or maybe even pixelpipe !!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If you use the skydrive app it does upload the full size pic but its quite a slow option.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

To be fair, I have always used drag and drop, and am still doing the same with zune set to manual :smileyvery-happy: just take a quick look at what I've got and just keep the stuff that looks good, so don't need to save much !!!! (my photography, not the Lumia camera) LOL

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have uploaded one picture with skydrive just for experiment sake, and now  can't seem to find it. Where should i look?

There is an app 'skydrive" in office section, when i go there i see only documents folder and something else, but no files etc.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
FunkyDunc

I've just tried accessing SkyDrive through office and I only see office documents.

Download the SkyDrive app from market place and then access it from the normal menu.  All my pics were there... for what they are obviously worth.

Another stupid ironic thing about all this...  videos are recorded in mp4 yet Windows own Media Player does not support mp4.  Microsoft sort it out, how can you be so incompetent ?!?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

FunkyDunc wrote:

Another stupid ironic thing about all this...  videos are recorded in mp4 yet Windows own Media Player does not support mp4.  Microsoft sort it out, how can you be so incompetent ?!?

My Windows Media Player (WMP12 on Windows 7) is quite happily showing the videos taken by my Lumia 800. Must be something wrong with your setup?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

Why are you still using Windows Media Player? No need to use it at all, you can use Zune for everything. It's a much better media application.

Have you downloaded and installed it yet.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

[ Edited ]

TheBigM wrote:
Why are you still using Windows Media Player? No need to use it at all, you can use Zune for everything. It's a much better media application.

That's a matter of opinion. For some things, WMP runs rings around Zune. For example, Zune has no "Play to" function, and no way of displaying my music collection in other than certain ways. I happen to want to see my Classical music grouped by Composer. WMP can do this, Zune can't.

On the other hand, Zune has support for Podcasts, which WMP still (even in version 12!) does not have.

So it's horses for course, I think...

Please use plain text.
timoriikonen

[ Edited ]

Zune guide for dummies please.

I want to do the same thing I always do with digital cameras:

1) Connect the phone with USB wire (to ensure nothing is done on other times)

2) Transfer pictures from phone/camera to PC

3) Delete them from phone/camera

4) Don't do this to system pictures of the phone

So Zune has plenty of intelligence, obviously more than I have since I have only vague idea what its automatic sync is doing since it looks to me like it does nothing useful.

As I am unable to access phone with a simple and clear device letter like with Nokia Symbian how can I do my basic needs manually or automatically?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cateran

I agree with timoriikonen. This is a complete scunner.

With every other device I've used, you only have to connect the cable to the USB port in the PC, click a couple of times and Bob's your Uncle,.so why not this? I don't want to use zune because, (a) It requires information I don't want to give out and (b) it's unneccesarily complicated.

Skycloud? Search me mate.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nts1

Hello all my wife has got the lumia 800 we have been trying to down load the photos off the phone but all it has done is load all the photos off her laptop no to the phone? How can we get them off the phone we has zune on the laptop and I can fig how to work it can any one help?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Djamie12

[ Edited ]

Hey I have so much trouble with my bloody Nokia Lumia 800, and I couldn't upload photos/videos to my laptop, so after like a month of working it out or more even lol, I uploaded em to Facebook, and then saved em from me laptop, I think that is like the easiest way, as long as u have Facebook, it's hard if u can't, I guess u can email it to urself aswell, :smileyhappy:

Moderator's note: Post was edited. Link to Facebook page is removed. Please do not publish personal information in any form.

Please use plain text.