Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 - GPRS Connectivity

RaviLakshman
Accepted Solution

Lumia 800 - GPRS Connectivity

Hi,

I am using the Lumia 800 for the past three days and am in love with the phone. Works beautifully on WiFi the naviation once the maps are downlaoded is perfect and the touch and feel of the phone is absolutely brilliant !

A sore point in the past three days is the patchy connection to GPRS on Airtel India. I have spent a few hours with their tech support and they are unable to get me online. I have update the firmware to the latest avaialble - 1750.0805.8773.12220 with no luch in connecting to the GPRS connection. The display shows an "E" next to the signal strength indicator but no luck in conncting.

The steps I have tried so far are as follows:

a. Settings - Mobile Netwok - APN set to airtelgprs.com which is recomended.

b. Used the default Network Setup software to update the settings

Reset the phone to uninstall all applications and bring back to default state assuming that one of the software issued caused this problem.

Is there anything else for me to try before I take it to a Nokia Care centre for trouble shooting?

Gmail / Hotmail - Error out with error code 80072EFD

Internet Explorer - not able to access even google.com

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Lumia 800 - GPRS Connectivity

[ Edited ]

Hi RaviLakshman,

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forum.

You write you see the E next to the signal indicator which means you are connected to the data network on an EDGE (2G) connection. GPRS would show a G or H for GPRS/HSDPA(3G/3.5G).

To set up the connection you do not need to use both the Network Setup app and add the apn in Settings>mobile  network>add apn. You can remove the entry in 'add apn' and just use the Network Setup app. Also make sure the option Settings>Mobile  network>Highest connection speed reads '3G' and not 'E'. You will now connect to the highest possible speed on the Mobile network. If this is just EDGE contact your carrier about possible restrictions for the region you are in.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
RaviLakshman

Thanks Kosh. It is great to get such a prompt response !

My contract with my service provider is for Edge. I have not updated to 3G which I plan to do with this phone.

I have tried to do what you suggested i.e. remove the APN and after a restart use the Network Setup tool to configure the network. However even this does not seem to work.

Gmail, Hotmail still throw up the same error code.

Please use plain text.
RaviLakshman

Another troublehsooting step that occured to me - Used the internet sharing to set up a hotspot - connected to the phone from this laptop and am able to access the internet with no issues with the "E" next to the signal strength indicator. The speed though slow was able to open google, search for some random items and throw up results.

Please use plain text.
RaviLakshman

A few more hours of trial and error with a reset thrown in allowed me to access the net and mails on the phone. Been a frustrating couple of days but since I am not sure of what I did to fix the issue, am really apprehensive about further updates which I would otherwise adopt as soon as availablee.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
prajapat

Dear Nokia,

Lumia 800 is damn good except for this 80072EFD issue.  No solutions available anywhere. All leads to APN reset or network setting app which doesnt seem to work in my case.  Been a huge fan of nokia and previous C7 also faced sync issue and now Lumia 800.  Folks, all we need is a phone which work seamlessly on data connection enabling us to access mail, messaging and internet. Cant understand why Nokia & MS ducks on these essential points always. 

Kindly help and fix this issue.  It helps to save lot of time in troubleshooting, writing to you, raising alarms etc., 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sushrutparti

Hi Kosh,

The same issue with my Nokia 800 and 710 as well.....suprising these work with Vodafone India but not with Airtel India. Have also escalated to Airtel CS head .

Great to hear from Nokia if now this is a known issue and a fix is being released on a war footing !!!!

thanks

Sushrut

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kanishk007

HI,

I too had the same issue. What you need to do is not to use the NETWORK SETUP App on the Lumia 800.

Take Backup

Reset Your Phone

Do not Insert SIM yet and Use CUSTOM configuration

CANCEL all popups for Network / GPRS configuration.

Once you are done, Insert SIM. Go to SETTINGS --> Mobile Network --> Select ROAM, enable Data Connection --> Add APN as airtelgprs.com --> SAVE

This works.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vikramwanchoo

Is there anyways other than resetting phone cause I've downloaded lots of apps and dont want to install them.

Please use plain text.
lvlyn

The only thing that works with Airtel 3G SIM

Back up data

Reset phone

do not insert phone while the reboot happens

insert sim

Go to settings---> choose "ROAM", Select Max speed "3G", APN "airtelgprs.com"

I tried a number of tips and tricks for days .... but finally, this is the only one that worked !!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
namittripathi

thank you very much..........because for the steps given i got the web connection correction....:squint:

Please use plain text.
someshyadav

thank you so much man....ty ty ty

Please use plain text.