Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 - Moire effect when displaying dark ...

Contributor
Typerage

Lumia 800 - Moire effect when displaying dark text on light background!

This must be my most annoying dilemma yet!! I Noticed this the other day when I was surfing the web on my Lumia 800!

It appears that whenever u get to a webpage (or application) that contains a white background and black text (which is usually the case in most pages!) and u look closely u can notice some moire effects that appears as horizontal white lines next to the text and these lines follows the text even when scrolling!! This is specially notable when u zoom in on a text or place the handset in landscape mode.

Also the same moire effect appears but with vertical lines shifting between red and white as u zoom in and out of a picture with a white background!!

And NO I don't have any screen protector (that in some cases can cause this effect) and YES this is clearly a display issue because of these lines are being followed by my scrolling and not on a specifc area on the display!!

Anyone else having this issue??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

Re: Lumia 800 - Moire effect when displaying dark text on light background!

I think you are just seeing the effects of them using a PenTile matrix instead of an RGB matrix for the subpixels.
i.e. if you have two pixels, the subpixels in an RGB matrix go like:
RGB-RGB. In PenTile, it will be like RGBG so the subpixel resolution is one third less. This is especially noticeable on text.
Please use plain text.
kytzoo

I have the same problem, but i think is a software problem because if the screen is rotated to right this disappears. 

Please use plain text.
Anon00

I have the same problem, but on all images that aren't blue or black !

This isn't my phone but my mother's one. When I bought the phone to her I didn't notice this problem...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

I noticed this problem too, but only when reading e-book in complete darkness.  OMG, is there no end to bugs, problems and omissions?!  Can this be corrected in software or is it a permanent hardware issue?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Yury_A

I see this problem also. Hate how the phone renders black on white background text.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

Yep I have exactly the same problem. I can see there being an easy software amendment to patch this. Question is will they do that for us. I think all or most Lumia 800's have this problem its just not all have found it yet!
Please use plain text.
Enha

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately... also happened to me :smileysad:

c r a p p y display,  dissappointment on nowadays trend. IMHO Nokia shall replace all Lumia 800 display with a new one!!!

Another question; is there anyone that doesn't suffering from this issue? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

Yep, it's the PenTile, the L800 isn't the only phone that's done this.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Zekahz

I noticed this problem disappears when the display is set to high brightness
Please use plain text.