Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800: Pink glow/aura on Camera

Contributor
nbplopes

Lumia 800: Pink glow/aura on Camera

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Just bough the Lumia 800, 4 days ago. Been having some battery problems that I hope to see resolved with the new update I got today.

Unfortunately I've found another problem. Now with the camera. 

A picture is worth more then a thousand words here are two:

photo.jpg

photocopy.jpg

Has you can see in this photos taken, the camera show a red glow or aura at the center affecting the entire image. This glow is captured in the pics two. This makes the camera unusable IMHO.

I would like to know if this is a known issue that will be addressed with another firmware fix, or is indeed an hardware problem, so I need to have the phone replaced. 

This pics where taken about an hour ago at night. I remember before the update, taking photos during the day and did not notice this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nuno 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nbplopes

[ Edited ]

Hi,

So what's up? No one has this problem?

Never had such a stress with a phone. First the battery, seams to be better but still testing the new firmware, not impressed has it keeps consuming a lot on stand by. Now this?

Humm. If I forget these two remaining problems I love the phone, I would say almost on par with the iPhone in function if not better in some cases.

But these two problems are impossible to forget in a high end phone. It is not a question if we can live without battery, its impossible. It's is also not a question if we can live with a non workable camera, but a question of principle in a high end phone, it must work!

Please advise or It will be a return.

Cheers,

Nuno

PS: I come from an iPhone 3G, my wifes has 3GS. I was planning to move both to the Nokia has we like the features but we need to be able not to baby sit the phone every single day even with minor use. On another note, the camera needs to work as supposed!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JCDammer

Hi, I'm not sure what is causing that I just took a quick snap on mine of somethign white and there is no corona.

Just a thought, have you tried it in other light conditions such as outside, sometimes certain types of artificial light can create a colour spectrum on a picture not visible to the naked eye.  Worth a try to see if it's still there.

I understand your frustration, I've had and still have battery issues despite the latest update and for me at the moment it's like a landline cause it needs to be near a power point so often.  When mine goes dead it's near impossible to get it to start up again or charge and takes 30 minutes of fiddleing. Your camera problem though is not one I've had.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maijay

[ Edited ]

Have you tried changing the Scene from Auto to Landscape / portrait?

Is there any artificial LED / Fluorescent lighting as it's quite possible this is effecting the anti glare coating on the lens.

Interestingly it's the very latest lenses (even Pro DSLR) that are most effected :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Go into camera settings and check the focus mode. You may find that it is set to macro. Change it to normal. When you press back, you must scroll up and select 'save settings' otherwise it will revert back to macro mode.

Hopefully that will solve your issue - it worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nbplopes

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the tip! It got a little bit better, but it is still there.

My guess is there is a quality problem with the camera lens in this unit at least.

This makes it impossible to get a good picture at night in my home. Tried multiple settings to no avail. Funny enough in a bright light setting as the one in a Nokia store, evan against white boards the pink glow does not appear.

I'm returning this unit for a new one, since it is still within the return time frame.

Maybe I just fog a bad unit. If the second try the problem remains, I'll try a third. If still the problems I'm afraid this the camera behavior/quality is not within the advertised specs.

I'm also having some problems over the battery. The Nokia guy today advised be to switch of Wifi and 3G and only switch it on if needed. I said that he must be joking but he was pretty serious! (is this a nokia procedure?) What is a Smartphone without the Internet (all those notifications, Facebookm twitter and so on?). If I wanted a phone mainly to make calls anything for 30 Euros would do. Now this phone is being sold in Portgual unlocked for 545 EUROS!!!

Some people should not be in sales. A good salesmen applies some common sense to argue is point in a way that can be understood. Only cons try to take you for a ride into the wonderland.

I'll keep you guys posted. I really want to support the Lumia phones.

PS: I have iPhone 3G, wife iPhone 3GS, my dad has an Galaxy I, and my brother a Nexus. Tried all phones and the problem was not there.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PARASASER

i have this problem, but the pics in pc are without these pink colors. so i hope for a fix update.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nbplopes

[ Edited ]

Here is a pic take with the phone showing the issue:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/DFTrance/420385_2561771256013_1606036806_1847173_702506505_n...

With the flash on the problem does not appear ... as it seams. Try and switch the flash off and take a pic in a place with medium light.

I also have a video with my chidren taking a bath. For obvious reason I will not post. All I can say that is there too.

My guess is that there is a problem with the Image Sensor of the camera (either CCD or CMOS, in the case of Lumia it's CMOS), a hardware problem. You see, I did some research on the net about this, and this kind behaviour fall in the scope of problematic Image Sensors. You can have a look on the Wiki about what an Image Sensor is and what it does. Probably a bad batch, don't know. But my guess is that an universal software fix for this using software filters will be very hard to achieve. An filter that might work on this unit might not be effective in a unit with a food Image Sensor. This is my guess from what I've researched.

I've found the following explanations: http://www.fixya.com/tags/ccd_pink/page-6

PS: My iPhone 3G and 3GS does not have flash and takes a shot with no problem in the same light conditions.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nbplopes

[ Edited ]

Traded for another.

Problem remains. I can still see the ping hud in most indoor conditions. With the new one nevertheless I manage to remove most of it fidling the the filters. Still compared with the iPhone 3G and 3GS (mine and my wifes), phones that have a camera theoretically worst, just fire and we have an image with no pink hues. I believe that we have a quality problem in the Image Sensor that is probably affecting a lot of units.

Anyway, In sum the Auto mode is useless mostely useless. Why does the phone comes with the macro setting by default? Shouldn't it be Normal by default? QA much?

Testing the battery life (still have not updated the firmware).

Cheers,

Nuno

Please use plain text.
Filosassi

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem too. Called the support here in Italy and they told me it's an hardware issue which can't be fixed with a patch or a software update.

I went back to the store for a switch but at least 3 demos phone and 2 new unit unboxed presented the same issue.

Except for that, my unit doesn't have the other problems reported on the forum, thus I've decided to keep my device and hope for a software solution in the next update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

This issue dates back over 3-4 years and is a know problem in many handsets.

I am flabberghasted that Nokia would have released this phone with such an awful camera, displaying this 'pink spot' issue.  It would have gone through months of testing and as some stage someone at Nokia must have signed the form that said 'Yes, this is what we want, make it'!

Here is a link to the exact same issue I had years ago with an HTC HD2 and the dreaded 'Pink spot'!

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_release_software_fix_for_the_hd2_camera_*pink_spot*_issues-news-1317.php

The hardware short-coming *could* be alleviated with software tweaks....but this handset has so many other, more serious software failings - this could be the last thing they'll try and fix.  Or they won't bother at all and instead just release another 'top end' handset without the problem and then market it as having a better camera.

This phone is a Lemon.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
antiochus

Depends on Type of Light and Conditions..

[ Edited ]

I am also very disappointed in this. Despite the hot shot optics they list in the features, the pink spot renders the camera inferior to the basic camera that was on my cheapo HTC HD7. To date the best camera I had was on my Samsung Vibrant before defecting from Android to WP7. So hate to say it but as much as I love WP7 and the Lumia 800 in particular, through these changes my camera has received two demotions from the Samsung where I was hoping with the Lumia it would go the other way.

That said, I'm not sure this is a hardware issue only because it doen't happen 100% of the time.

Outdoor sun/cloudy: No Pink Spot

Indoor Flash: No Pink Spot

Indoor Non-Flash with Fluorescent: No Pink Spot

The only time I get the pink spot is with halogen & incandescent indoor non-flash. So outside of this, I can get some outstanding photos in other applications, but with halogen, I still love shooting natural light, so am irritated that I have to use flash.

The other color gripe is outdoor night - flash or non-flash, there is a green distortion that can be filtered as it effects the whole photo so easier to correct than the spot area with pink, but still annoying.

Hope the Nokia folks are getting close to a solution with this.

Anyone hear anything with the Nokia 900 on this issue?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
antiochus

Re: Depends on Type of Light and Conditions..

Reaction:

I have a decent Canon Powershot camera.

When I had the Vibrant and even the HD7, I pretty much forgot about the Canon. Phone shots with rare exception were excellent from either..

Now with the Lumia, I use it for quick postings - although I still trust for outdoor. But if I'm going to a good area where I know I can get some pics, I've started carrying the Canon with me again..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
antiochus

[ Edited ]

Occam's Cat:

"Here is a link to the exact same issue I had years ago with an HTC HD2 and the dreaded 'Pink spot'!

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_release_software_fix_f​or_the_hd2_camera_*pink_spot*_issues-news-1317.ph...

This phone is a Lemon."

Oh great; I bet Nokia hired the same engineer that did the original camera on the HD2 :/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nbplopes

[ Edited ]

Yes the problem seam to be similar to the HTC HD2.

I can say that the camera on the Lumia is simply under par for a high end device. The only thing is has going highe end are MEGAPIXELS. How good is that if the image is stained in pink in less that perfect light conditions which is usually the norm? Have you guys only tested the camera in the SNOW durung the DAY where light reflects everywhere?

By the way currentely I have a bigger problem. I thought the battery problem was also a problem local to my previous unit. Unfortunately on this second unit that I've been using since monday the problem remains.

At 8:00 the battery was 100%

Played Plant's Vs Zombies for 40 minutes (20 minutes on train going and coming from work). Read some emails and news. Probably another 15 minutes. Saw some pics and facebook news (People  Hub), probably another 10. No phone calls, no SMS's.

Over all at 15:00 the battery was almost dead. Had to charge at work, back to 100%

At 22:00 picked the phone up, battery is was dead, and forgot the charger at work. Result, I'm unnable to receive or make phone calls until I arrive work tomorrow.

I'm not even doing aggressive task management, or writing small documents.

I wonder how Mr. Elop survives the day with this phone. Probably he has two of this one in each pocket.

Need some advice and help form Nokia about what should I do. Should I just give up has this is under the Nokia parameters for the phone? 

Please, honestely help, because I want to keep supporting the Lumias, but that can't be done at my expense only!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
sjordis

[ Edited ]

Same problem than nbplopes.

Although problem becomes more noticeable under indoor artificial light conditions, it also affects daylight shots, although to a lesser extent.

I attach a sample taken in a room under natural light against a white wall

I was considering to exchange the unit for a new one, but for what some of you say, it looks like many units are affected.

Honestly, the camera of this phone, along with its battery, ruins the user experience. Really a pitty, because I love WP user interface, but Nokia stuff does not seem to live up to the OS quality.

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Just to add, I have an N8 and I have the same pink/reddish glow which I'm sure came on after I took a picture of a halogen ring on my electric cooker(!).
The centre of my frame has a slight tinge of pink to it now. Also, before this happened, I noticed when I once took a picture of a white surface, the top edge of the frame greyed slightly. I think I may just have a dud sensor module in my N8.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ticklepixie

Hello all, same issues, camera has a tint, battery dies without use nbthe strangest if all I ve got no update on battery, attached it to Zune the very day my phone provider informed about it, i.e march 1. The service provider here on UK should really need to read these forums as they R teaching me about pixels !!! I have no issues with the camera of my N8, am seriously thinking to leave nokia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pererikanderspe

I have got the very same problem with my Lumia 800. I really like the phone, it is great in many ways. But the camera is of a very low quality, and in many cases more or less unusable.

I get the pink aura both in indoor and daylight situations. Here are some pics with mixed daylight and electric light, from a church:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organistselanger/7005948920/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organistselanger/7152036807/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organistselanger/7005948580/in/photostream

(I live in Sweden, and purchased my Lumia 800 in Sweden).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JayBooney

I recently received my Lumia 900 and I have this very same problem. A distint pink region in the centre of the photo. I have tried various settings and reducing the saturation alleviates the effect somewhat. However, I have tested the front camera and it has exactly the same problem, leading me to believe that it is a software issue. Please see the attachments which show the pictures purposely taken for the most dramatic effect. The last picture is the front facing camera.

Please use plain text.