Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800: Speaker problem, no sound.

maroe

Lumia 800: Speaker problem, no sound.

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have encountered a problem with my Nokia Lumia 800.
After I turned the speaker volume down to 0 before I went to bed, the speaker stopped working. I noticed this when I overslept for work because the alarm clock on the phone did not give any sound. I thought maby it was intended when the volume was stillt down to 0 (although it would be silly), but I found out when I had turned the volume up and the phone rang, there was no sound.
It turns out the sound does not work no matter what happens, incoming calls, alarms, playing music, etc.

I have tried to restore phone to factory settings, but with little success ...

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is it a known software issure or sould I consider the phone defective?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lenaye

Re: Lumia 800: Speaker problem, no sound.

A friend of mine also had the same problem with his Lumia and he could only get the phone to work if he make a phone call and put it on Speaker.
Please use plain text.
maroe

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thanks for the advise, but it did not fix the problem with my phone.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Hi Maroe,

In this case I would contact your local Nokia customer care to have the device inspected as this is not a normal functioning and the first I have heard of this issue.

You can check you local care details on the link below:

http://www.nokia.com/no-no/support/kontakt/

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Raoul_Duke
If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mariaantoniou

Hiya, ive got exactly the same problem with mine! Its been like this since i bought it. At first a factory reset or update sorted the problem out, now nothing works, i literally have no sound on my phone, no alarm, no ringer, no music, its awful. Does it have to be sent back? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PaoloG

Of course! Are you still under the warranty period?
Please use plain text.
krishans

I had the same problem. Two months after I brought it: No sound after listening to the radio on phone with headset. I tried closing the app before unplugging, resetting, formatting to factory settings etc. Nothing worked. Only with headset plugged in sound was on. The phone is now in repair at the store.

so annoying....

Please use plain text.
maroe

Hi,

After a update of the skydrive software today the sound started working again.... Maby a bug in the skydrive software (that may have been fixed in the newest version, or the update of the software reset the bug...).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tenchu

Just bought a lumia 900 today, and ws having on and off sound problem and now hardly any sound...

But I have found out that if I press  between the WINDOWS LOGO KEY AND THE SEARCH BUTTON  the sound comes out really good..

I guess this is a Hardware problem on behalf of Nokia as there is definitely LOOSE CONNECTION.

Will take it back and see How it goes :smileysad:

I would have hoped they would have sorted it out in the Lumia 900

Please use plain text.
xyriach

I have experienced the exact same problem with my Lumia 800.

When recieving a call, the earpiece turns off and the microphone dies.  Switching to speakerphone resolves this issue and the phone works as expected.  However, when the call is ended then the main speaker, earpiece and mic become non functional.

When running the diagnostic package (just enter ##634# through your phone keypad if you don't have the tile for it) everything works fine and the phone goes back to normal.  Until I receive or make another call.

As everything physically functions, I this indicates a software issue. However,as I have reset to factory settings and the issue remains I'm a little confused.

Has there been any advance from Nokia as to what this issue is?  It seems that there are several people effected and a lot of confusion as to whether it's a software or hardware issue.  It would be unfortunate for handsets to be returned when a patch could resolve the issue.

Thanks

Xy

Please use plain text.
xyriach

I may have found the cause of this weird issue.

Within diagnostics, my handset is reporting that it's connected to a headset, while it isn't.  If the phone think's it has a headset then it's logical that it would then divert the audio when a call comes through and only reactivate on speakerphone.

Can anyone else confirm?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lenaye

I can confirm that if the phone 'thinks' it has a headset, the audio from the phone is diverted through the headset.

I managed to solve sound disappearing from my phone when I look directly into the headset socket and found something inside it.

It turned out to be a small piece of tissue stuck inside the hole. I managed to dig it out with a small toothpick and the phone speaker is working again.

I remembered now that when the last time I was using it when it was still working fine, my earphone jack didn't want to go into the headset socket and I forced it in. It must have been that a small piece of tissue got logged inside it when I had the phone, the earphone and my tissue all inside my jacket pocket. How it happened, I've no idea.

So, take a look inside the headset socket and see if there's anything inside there which should't be there. I'm so relieved that I was able to 'fix' my phone without resorting to long and expensive repair.
Please use plain text.
xyriach

Indeed.

If you do manage to resolve this issue, you might want to spend a few pounds\dollars on a 3.5mm jack cap.  Just a little silicon plug to cover the jack.  It's suprisingly vulnerable to getting grit and fluff inside.

I've had to replace the entire jack itself as there was grit caught in the sensor that wasn't going to budge.  It's not a huge repair, but don't try to do it yourself unless you really know what you're doing.  For the small price of a repair, the parts cost barely £10 so with labour you're not looking at much more than £30-£40 depending on who you visit it's not worth risking your £400 phone!

It would be nice if the jack port itself however came with a cap similar to the charging port.  there's no reason for it to be left open as it is.  Alternatively, a software update to disable\enable the jack when desired would be a soft fix for this, as the mechanics of the port still work despite the sensor issue.

Please use plain text.
DeepakDev

I have same problem with my Nokia 710. Here is what i tried and non of them worked :smileysad:

1) Removed all software i installed after i bought the phone

2) Restored Factory settings

3) There is nothing inside the headset jack

4) All buttons are working fine

5) Diagnostics doesnt show anything

Normal phone calls with earphone and mic works. Surprisingly, headphone and AUX port works. Other than that, No ringtons, no alarms, no radio, no MP3 sound and no video sound. The speaker is just DEAD. I know many people gone thru same problem and no one from the Nokia seems to reply. Nutshell, please dont buy any Nokia Lumia.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Deepakdev,

Thanks for your post. As these forums are user to user platform if you would like to contact Nokia Support please do so through the Nokia Support webpage. You can reach them through mail, phone or chat (where available).

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
DeepakDev

Thanks, I did that and to my dismay, the problem is beyond repair and i have been negotiating with them for a replacement. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
FullMetalErnie

I had same speaker problems with Lumia 800, no audio at all through speaker. So decided to see if it worked through headphones, and it did! Unplugged the headphones and BOOM, the speaker worked! Strange! Hope this helped. :-)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tubefactor

I´ve been experience exactly the same problem on Lumia 900 :smileysad: been on Diagnostics and wanted to add some more information:

* On Audio Loopback, the "Earpiece" function is working Correctly

* On Headset Detection, even though I do not have any Headset connected, it states that a headset is connected to my phone :smileysad:

Even more weird is, when playing any music (Diagnostic tool closed) without any Headset connected, Loudspeaker doesn´t work :smileysad: then I connect a Headset and start to ear the music on the Headset. But ! if you continue to listen to the music and at the same time enter on Diagnostic Tool/Audio Loopback option, then the music starts to come out from the Loudspeaker!!!

This is really the most weird BUG I´ve ever encountered. Already made SW upgrade, didn´t solved. Already made Factory Settings, didn´t solved...

Nokia must solve this ASAP, since I´m unable to make any calls with the Earpiece and unable to listen to Music with the Loudspeaker!

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Tubefactor,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for you feedback.

From what you describe it appears the small contact which is activated when you insert a headphone into the connector does not return to it's normal state when you remove the headphones again. What you can do is check to see if something is blocking the switch (dust) by gently blowing into the connector or using a non-metal pin to try and get the blocking loose. Do not force anything, just use the pin to see if anything will stick to it or come out of the connector when you remove it again.

If this does not help I suggest you visit a Nokia Care Point to get this resolved.

Hope this helps, 

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ITM88

I am having this same problem. A phone that doesnt ring isnt any use to me

As tenchu said it works if you push the screen which makes me think the speaker is loose rather than something blocking the headphone socket.

Please use plain text.