Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 - Strange UI Behavior after Touch!!!...

Advisor
JayJayTG

Lumia 800 - Strange UI Behavior after Touch!!!

When moving my finger horizontally or vertically (more noticeable when vertically scrolling) and leaving my finger on the screen after the move, the UI begins to shake up and down or side to side depending on whether I moved the UI vertically or horizontally. I found this when playing assassins creed first, the virtual joy stick under my thumb was moving on its own when my thumb was still. Trying this on the start screen by scrolling up or down a little and leaving my finger on the screen presented me with the UI moving on its own.

This is quite frustrating especially in game that require me to leave my finger/thumb on the screen. This behavior is noticeable in all elements for me, menus, internet browser, all hubs and so on. If you want to try it on your devices let me know if you have experienced the same thing. Remember just go to the start screen, scroll up or down slightly and don't take your finger off the screen, after a second or two the UI may start moving on its own like it does with me.

If there is anyway to reset the screen calibration through diagnostics apps or anything let me know please.

I have uploaded a video, its pretty poor quality but if you watch the calendar tile whilst I keep my finger still you will see how the UI moves on its own. More noticeable when you see it in person. http://youtu.be/vaJGcN7UfoE

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: Lumia 800 - Strange UI Behavior after Touch!!!

It doesn't do that on mine Lumia, and I have put mine of my desk keeping my fingers steady after scrolling. Usually capacitive screens, and especially amoled ones are quite sensitive, and from looking at your video where you hold the phone in one hand up in front of cam and touches it with your other hand while the device is shaking like crazy doesn't make it easy to actually know if it's your or the device.

I guess you of course have done this already, but if not lay it down on a desk or table. Hold it tight with one hand and do the scrolling with your other hand. Then make sure the phone is dead still and so with your finger. Does it still do it?

I haven't found a setting or way to calibrate the screen. And it might only be my ignorance, but I haven't seen any setting or so regarding calibrating screen on any on my previous devices - I guess I have had 6-8 phones with capacitive displays.

I know that at least some of the s60 Nokia devices with resistive screen had it, but that's something else.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Contributor
devilinside123

Looking at the video its not the phone its you as the mate prior me says, you are dithering with both, left hand and right finger and the phone just reacts on that...

I suggest you try some yoga to relax :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

[ Edited ]

A new video will be up soon showing the UI shaking beneath my finger (whilst holding it still). This is the result after a swipe.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

Lumia 800 - Strange Screen and UI behavior (With Video)

This is the result of a swipe on the screen whilst keeping my finger on it http://youtu.be/DXlvh-Rz9j0 

No matter whether im in an app or anywhere in the OS it happens.

Any ideas Nokia? Maybe add a reset of the screen calibration into the first firmware update??

Oh and I have hard rest the phone and still the same thing.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: Lumia 800 - Strange Screen and UI behavior (With Video)

Looks like your device is faulty. Take it back and ask for a replacement or visit a Nokia care point.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Yeah there' something wrong with that...not sure why it's being suggested it's your finger. Your finger is clearly not moving and for it to actually sense the movement it will be visible to see.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

Re: Lumia 800 - Strange Screen and UI behavior (With Video)

Yeah I may take it back though I would have to travel somewhat to get to the store I bought it from. Plus its annoying to have to keep starting fresh, as Zune software doesnt allow for full backups of app and game saved data! There is only so many times I can get back to where i am in my games lol
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

Re: Lumia 800 - Strange UI Behavior after Touch!!! (Note to Nokia!)

Nokia

I would like to report to you the problem I have found with the Lumia 800 screen. Though it is not apparent the shaking shown on my screen (that is shown in the second youtube video I posted) seems to be on most or possibly all devices. I say this because I swapped my device I bought in London for one in Essex. But upon the swap of the phone there was a problem. The new phone had the same problem as mine, the store then let me try another 3 phones and they all had the same problem which can't be a co-incidence. It may not be apparent to all users as people use their phones differently. But this problem is most noticeable when executing a swipe, taking your finger off the screen, then putting your back on the screen to stop the UI in place and keeping your finger still on the screen. It can take a couple of tries but it shakes most when doing this. Other ways to execute this is by the action I explained in my first post, also when playing games with virtual joy sticks on occasions you can see the joy stick moving freely under your finger. There are various different ways to witness this behavior, but I did want to bring this to your attention so a diagnosis team could investigate. The store assistant was very surprised when I showed him in store on all the phone opened and now im sorry to say I put him off the phone lol, but don't worry I wont tell anyone else, it will be kept to this forum!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spotless

I have the same problem and it's very irritating.. I'm going to check other Lumia phones in other stores to see if they also have the same problem..

Geebus Christ, Lumia is such a nice phone, though so buggy.. Who could have thought :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

Sorry you are having problems. Mine is fine. Very impressed with it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iceytoa1

My phone does that but its not a fault, its just the way the OS is programmed to react to your fingers movements.

You can't move and then stop, you have to move, then lift your thing, then click.
Please use plain text.
quemans

[ Edited ]

It may not be apparent to all users as people use their phones differently.

Community Managerment notice:

Concealed image file removed from this post.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spotless

That's true.
BTW I checked another Lumia this morning - same thing - screen is shaking (doh)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

It doesn't do that on mine browsing the menus. I can touch-> move->stop totally without the UI going mad.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

@iceytoa1 untrue. My Omnia 7 never did this
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

@Spotless Glad you have experienced it to. Like i said it depends on how you use the phone to whether you would notice. Plus its not 100% it will skae everytime you execute the actions I have to start it going but still I gaurantee i could get everyone doing it if i had the chance lol. Im sure this could be dealt with easily with firmware .... just a matter of Nokia seeing this as a bug that should be treated. Tbh all bugs SHOULD be treated!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spotless

I went to another store yesterday and tried it on 2 other phones - they were doing exactly the same thing.

I've just tried my boss's Lumia and I did manage to achieve the same UI shaking, though it's way more difficult to achieve it on his device than on mine.

Not sure what to do..

I'm going to call technical support and see what they say about it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JayJayTG

Well the best thing is to say how you have experienced it on a wide range of phones and how you are not the only one and refer them to this forum. In hope of this they may add it to a firmware update!
Please use plain text.
Bearyung

I've received my Lumia 800 today and my phone has exactly the "shaking" effect, actually, I cannot draw a horizontal line in the drawing app. All horizontal line become zig zag line with little up and down up and down movement.

It's a big problem for me as I always use touch screen to jot notes on images and send to my clients, now those notes and annotations just like kid's artwork.. >_<

Please use plain text.